Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experiences with the extra boost with chrono please.

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 09:16 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,227 Likes on 599 Posts

The reflash will make you as happy as the initial delivery. It adds another 50% or so of pure ecstasy.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:17 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All this talk about reflash is really making me want to go for it too. I kept the car at 4500rpm up until 500 miles and that was it. The car really comes alive after that but its true what some have posted (I use sport 95% of the time unless I'm stuck in city traffic then its normal setting because the mapping is a bit smoother) the car can have a mind of its own and sometimes I feel like I am in a jetfighter and other times I wonder wher the hell the power went? For me adding 100 octane unleaded (about 7-8 gallons to Calif. 91 oct makes a significant difference. It really just pulls stronger throughout the entire rpm range. When the car feels hot, power is on tap almost all the time in any gear as long as your not lugging it. I can only imagine how a properly flashed Giac would feel. Right now I am looking at the Pocket Power PP100 from Ultimate Motor. Do a google on Milford Microsystems for an explanation and instructions. You can have up to 8 different settings programmed and its a simple plug and program right from the diagnostic hub under the steering column. The most important thing is the first step of loading up the stock settings of your ECU (cloning the stock parameters to revert back to when you take your car in for service). The dealer does all the programing before it is handed over to you. I am looking into it (as well as the cost) and haven't yet made a decision for good reason ( ). I need to see "proof" that it will not be detectable and don't want to be the guinny pig. My car only has 2300 miles to date I am in no rush.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Subbie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gradyex, if you are thinking about mods speak with Alex over at Sharkwerx he's over in Fremont. He can guild you through several configurations and $ ranges and has alot of experience with the dealers regarding warranty vs mods.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Subbie
Intermediate

Ho can GUIDE not guild .. lol
Old 07-02-2007, 01:01 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

You won't be doing the R&D on the street in your car with GIAC, if they introduce it to market it's done and right from my experiences.

tuning companies some times do a half baked job, they make some power but don't have the means to do long term dyno and street tuning to work all the bugs out. They will adjust A/F and timing, knock retard and such and call it a day.....So be careful when it comes to the reflash you put in your pride and joy.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:56 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Be carefull, ALL flashes are detectable by the dealer.
Old 07-02-2007, 11:22 AM
gradyex
Racer

Originally Posted by Subbie
Gradyex, if you are thinking about mods speak with Alex over at Sharkwerx he's over in Fremont. He can guild you through several configurations and $ ranges and has alot of experience with the dealers regarding warranty vs mods.

Thanks I have talked to Alex a few months back. Met him at a Porsche gathering in Fremont, CA. This recomendation actually came from my dealer and he tells me that it will not void the warranty because the computer can be flashed back to its original state. I am new at this so for now I wait. Thanks Chris, those are my thoughts as well. Thats a big price to pay for power that you will eventually get use to (if you know what I mean). On the other hand, the power increase is significant. I am in no rush and with the 100 octane mix the car is phenominal.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:52 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Put it this way, the car is making 500hp now, 500HP!
Exhaust will add another 20 or so and not void your warranty bc it's considered a consumable part, akin to a oil filter. Automakers can't void you for not using their parts unless they prove the aftermarket part f'up the car. The magnusson-moss act I believe (Chris T knows for sure). The ecu is a whole different ballgame, true it will yield another 25+hp, but you will get used to it and the dealer will always know it's been flashed and reset. I'd stop after exhaust, personally.
C
Old 07-02-2007, 01:31 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

TT, I was thinking of doing the swappable ecu but in reality for what, how often will I notice the difference between 505 (w/exhaust) and 544 (w/exhaust and chip). Not that 39 HP is not significant however I am not tracking the car at the moment and on the street 505 kicks butt.

I am reconsidering and going to put the idea on hold for now.

In Europe it is a different ball game people drive their diesel Renault Kangoo faster than we drive our Turbos. I have been in a Kangoo shuttle from Munich crusing at 180 kph (110 mph) as if it was a Sunday drive.

Last edited by LAT; 07-02-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Subbie
Intermediate

Here's why I am going to mod my 997tt when it arrives next week (finally). I drove a stage 3 over at Sharkwerx and my biggest concern prior to driving the 997tt was, will it 'feel' like a 6 cylinder car. I am coming from a 700hp Z06 so torque was a big issue. After driving the moded 997tt I was amazed of how torquie it was and the lack of turbo lag was impressive. So for me all the hub bub wasnt about making the 997tt a 600hp car, its the torque and feel that these mods give.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Subbie
I am coming from a 700hp Z06
Wow, was that turbos, blower or NA and who's package?
Old 07-02-2007, 08:08 PM
Subbie
Intermediate

02 Z06 10k miles... trading it in for the 997tt getting hosed by the dealer...

ProCharger Super Charger
Throttle Body
Headers
Exhaust
Custom programing

Takes it to somewhere around 700hp
Old 07-02-2007, 08:47 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by LAT
TT, I was thinking of doing the swappable ecu but in reality for what, how often will I notice the difference between 505 (w/exhaust) and 544 (w/exhaust and chip). Not that 39 HP is not significant however I am not tracking the car at the moment and on the street 505 kicks butt.

I am reconsidering and going to put the idea on hold for now.

In Europe it is a different ball game people drive their diesel Renault Kangoo faster than we drive our Turbos. I have been in a Kangoo shuttle from Munich crusing at 180 kph (110 mph) as if it was a Sunday drive.
Your numbers are a tad off, with ecu and exhaust most US tuners have dynoed close to 500whp. That's a bit more than 544 hp.
In any case, I highly recommend driving a tuned TT so you can feel the huge difference from stock.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:58 AM
whyb2nd
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
Put it this way, the car is making 500hp now, 500HP!
Exhaust will add another 20 or so and not void your warranty bc it's considered a consumable part, akin to a oil filter. Automakers can't void you for not using their parts unless they prove the aftermarket part f'up the car. The magnusson-moss act I believe (Chris T knows for sure). The ecu is a whole different ballgame, true it will yield another 25+hp, but you will get used to it and the dealer will always know it's been flashed and reset. I'd stop after exhaust, personally.
C
25 whp my ***, can you say 100 whp on pump gas. With the new tunes coming I'm seeing 500-520whp, that compared to about 422 stock I believe.

As far as warranty, buy a second ecu with your tune or become good friends with your tech.........
Old 07-03-2007, 01:04 AM
LAT
Addict
Rennlist Member

AAH986;

I am quoting engine dyno numbers provided by Cargraphic.

Here is the Cargraphic graph for the ecu and exhaust.

I hope you are right and there is actually more.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Experiences with the extra boost with chrono please.