997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

upgraded exhaust and headers......

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007 | 11:08 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Default upgraded exhaust and headers......

Have any of you guys upgraded your TT with a exhaust like fabspeed or A.W.E.? If so, did you include headers?
Also, how were the horsepower and torque numbers?
Did you feel the money was well spent?
If any of you guys are tracking your cars, was there alot of performance differances?
How was the sound?
Thanks in advance fellow rennlisters!!!
Old 05-30-2007 | 12:08 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

I have the AWE exhaust and GIAC tuning. It is worth every penny to me. No loss of drivability whatsoever, significant power increases throughout the entire power band, diminished lag and faster spool. I have tracked mine a few times and the experience (on Hoosiers) is exceptional. Here is a sound clip of mine at the track

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...753&pr=goog-sl
Old 05-30-2007 | 09:15 AM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

eclou,

Your TT looks and sounds awesome!!
What speeds were you hitting at the Texas motor speedway-you were cooking!!
Can you explain the GIAC tuning and how much horsepower that picks up?
What have you heard of the fabspeed exhaust system?
Oh by the way, the PASM is deactivated with the motons-I said before it was unaffected-I was wrong
Sorry dude!!
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:24 AM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric,

no headers for my car - I really don't think they are worthwhile (5-7hp for $1k) unless you want every single HP. I have not dyno'd my car since there is no quality 4wd dyno in my area, but most others have reported 490-510 whp with this combo, an increase of about 60-70 whp. It is very, very noticeable and totally changes the nature of the car - less sheepish and more aggressive when pushed. I am hitting 160+mph on the front straight and about 130mph on the back straight of TWS. Those are about the same speeds as some of the GT2 class ALMS cars here, if not faster.

In the 997TT there is NO wastegate - all boost is controlled by the VTG vanes of the turbo. The GIAC tuning just allows for earlier and harder boost and holds it longer. Porsche always programs a soft roll-on and roll-off boost for their turbo cars. The GIAC tuning allows for more aggressive boost characteristics with a much wider power band. When I got my GIAC tune, it was a simple flash program. Now they have updated it to allow the user to toggle between kill/theft, valet, normal, performance (mine), and race mode (100 octane, 560+ rwhp!!!).

I would suggest you talk to Mike at AWE. He is very knowledgeable and will give you honest info about their exhaust and GIAC flash. I installed their exhaust myself - I can tell you first hand that the fit and finish is perfect and beyond factory quality. No droning, and it perfectly matches the car IMHO. I have not heard a Fabspeed in person, only on the video clips. One of the reasons I chose AWE because they make their own product in-house and to me that suggested a high level of technical proficiency and workmanship. Others love their Fabspeeds as well. The AWE sounded to be more in character with the car than the Fabspeed, but I was only making this judgement from video clips.

Eugene
Old 05-30-2007 | 02:30 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

eclou,

Thanks for the extensive write-up!!
It looks as though you have done your homework!!!
Old 06-02-2007 | 07:53 PM
darmawaa
Advanced

Chip 60Hp, 70Tq Stage 1 $3500
100 cell cat & muffler 30Hp 20Tq Stage 2 $3000
Manifold 15Hp 10Tq Stage 3 $1500
Intercooler 10Hp 5Tq Stage 4 $2000
How much do you want to spend?
Old 06-03-2007 | 11:21 AM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

darmawaa,

I looking at the exhaust and software upgrade
Thanks!!
Old 06-03-2007 | 11:56 AM
darmawaa
Advanced

Eric, if you change the cat&muffler, better change the manifold too, it's all connected together.
Look under your car, it's very easy to disassemble, just jack it up a foot, you can even do it by yourself.
But if you have local porsche workshop, let them do it, just 2 hours work.
Old 06-03-2007 | 12:59 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Just curious. I thought the intercoolers were for "insurance" for an engine upgrade that produces more power, such as ECU, bigger turbos, etc. I didn't think the intercoolers themselves actually add HP/TQ. Am I wrong here?
Old 06-03-2007 | 01:32 PM
Chris R.
Rennlist Member

An intercooler that flows better and cools the air more efficiently will allow for more power. The cooler the air going into the motor, the more oxygen is in it thus the "bang" is stronger allowing for more power. Ever notice you car is faster on cold days and slower on hot humid days?
Old 06-03-2007 | 06:56 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Chris R.

The colder the ambient air, the denser the air going into the cylinders, hence, more "power". The bigger and more efficient the IC, the more you could take advantage of the colder ambient air. In the old days, with my 930, yes you could def tell the difference between mid-winter and mid-summer. The 997TT, however, is so Smart that it can adjust for ambient air temp (and thus air density) so that the air charge entering the cylinder is the same. I checked this out on my own car, noting that in the warmer weather, max boost is more than when it was really cold. The ECU makes the adjustment, according to a Porsche service tech I questioned about it.

I think that the bigger, more efficient IC can enable the motor to reach max potential, but by itself, I don't think the IC really adds to the HP. More of an "enabler", no?

Quick Reply: upgraded exhaust and headers......