Sponsored by:

Removal of factory CD changer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 08:34 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Just FYI, my 09's CD changer is completely in the PCM interface - you can load 6 discs through the slot. I actually didn't know that until 6 months after I got my car as I normally never use the changer (and I have an iPod permanently in the car).
Old 07-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Matyoka
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will replace the CD changer with this unit:

I've got a couple of printouts from you guys on how to DIY. PIWIS is going to be a problem as I am 500 miles from the closest Porsche dealer. Will give it a try and see if will work without the software update.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:16 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Finally got around to doing this job. It's interesting that the layout of the RHD is slightly different (and not just mirrored).

Some notes:
There are three nuts holding the CD changer bracket in place (green circles). You have to remove the Nav unit to get to them.

Removing the Nav unit is a bitch. Pull off the cover, then depress the two pink tabs on each side (red circles), and lift. One is against the side of the frunk, and access is difficult. Once the unit is out, remove the housing that's still attached to the frunk.

Getting the CD changer out is easy at this point. The power connector is firm, use plyers. I taped off the plug ends, and stashed them under the carpet.

It's worth noting that you can close the MOST loop with one optical loop cable - swap the entry fibre that would go into the CD changer with the one that goes into the Nav, then remove the unused fibre and plug. You'll need to code out the Nav unit to prevent errors.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 PM
heliflyer
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

As Nzskater said:
Remove Nav unit - 2 mins when you know how!!
Undo 3 10mm nuts from cd bracket - 2 mins
Unplug power and MOST connector from CD unit
Plug in MOST LOOP or re-orientate current fibre leads to retain the loop - 1 minute
Re-install Nav unit - 1 minute

Job done in around 6 minutes - then drive to Porsche dealer and spend 30 mins waiting and pay them a fortune to code the CD player out of the system!!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:11 PM
Marauder1
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Once you remove the NAV and/or CD changer and if you don't plan to replace them, I assume there is an opening in the carpeted panel that has to be covered. Does someone make a kit to finish it off?
Old 06-11-2016, 04:26 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Opening after removing Nav and CD changer looks like my image in a RHD drive. From the images I've seen of LHD cars, the amplifier is in the frunk, next to the Nav. If you're keeping the Nav (I imagine you would to cover and protect the amp) you shouldn't really need any additional carpet.

I'm keen to know if the carpet cover in the bottom of the frunk in a C2S will fit in my turbo, so it covers the bottom of the frunk completely.
Old 06-13-2016, 04:02 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Anyone managed to code out the CDC and Nav using a Durametric? I've set them to "Not Installed" under the Gateway section, but I'm still getting the errors for both on powering up.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:33 AM
frenchtony
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

old thread, but I've the same errors after setting them not installed in the gateway section too, did you ever resolve this?
Old 05-05-2019, 12:25 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

The CDC shows up in both the Gateway and PCM, and unfortunately only PIWIS can code the PCM. I've been through this a couple times and dealers often don't know how to code the PCM - - they usually have no idea what you are talking about. But if you work directly with the tech, they can get it sorted. They typically charge 1/2 to 1hr of time.

One suggestion, if you are removing the CDC is to install an LAPower Bluetooth module. The module is about the size of a deck of cards and emulates the CDC, hence you won't get the CDC error if you substitute it instead and thus might not need to visit the dealer.* Search LAPower for more info on installs and functionality. They work great.

*Note: You may still need to see the dealer if installing an LAPower unit if your car came from the factory with the phone module. That may have to be coded out for the LAPower hands-free/BT phone to work correctly.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:19 PM
frenchtony
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This all started with an install of an LApower type system, it didn't work out of the box, my car was non bose, non CDC, non nav, non phone. I got a guy to code the CDC in for me but still no good. I added the bose unit in with the FOXTEL programmer I have still no good. I got a new lapower unit in case the other was faulty but still no good. So I gave up and use an FM modulator :-(
I'm left with the warnings about no CDC and no Bose and I can't get rid of them, I think my PCM 2 doesn't receive anything on the incoming fibre, faulty or coding I don't know.
It is strange because I added the Bose option with the Foxtel and now it doesn't make any difference whether its coded as installed or not, very frustrating!

thanks for the help though
Old 05-05-2019, 04:15 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

I just live with the errors, the Denison still works.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:51 PM
ThunderRolls
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

Install this - Bluetooth A2DP USB adapter

There is a fairly easy DIY on here somewhere to replace the CD changer with it, without breaking the MOST chain and adding another source for music and hands free phone
Old 05-07-2019, 01:29 PM
o7silverturbo
Burning Brakes

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

You need a fiber optic jumper to put in place of the cd changer

Quick Reply: Removal of factory CD changer?