Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Would You Drive This?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 06:38 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take tippys advice and over heat your brakes going down a hill. I guess you should also turn off the engine and free roll down the hill to keep the wear on your engine to a minimum.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:47 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
Take tippys advice and over heat your brakes going down a hill. I guess you should also turn off the engine and free roll down the hill to keep the wear on your engine to a minimum.
lol, overheat brakes on a hill? This isnt the drum brake days. You are telling me you rather downshift and increase wear on the synchros, reverse torque on the axles, diff gears, tranny gears, and load the thrust bearings on the crank, main bearings, rod bearings, piston rings to save the brakes?!?! The brakes are consumable items, the others really arent. But hey whatever.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:35 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What increase in wear? I think you're confusing it with downshifting to slow the car down and wearing out the clutch. Yes, don't do that, brakes are cheaper than the clutch, but on the other components? Going down hill in low gear? You've got to be kidding.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
Tippy
Race Car

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, we are coming at this at 2 different angles, you agree with me that you shouldnt downshift to slow a car and yes, to stay in a low gear is fine as long as the engine RPMs is not too high. But I still rather use the brakes for any slowing, that is just me.

I dont like to hear people always downshifting their cars to slow it down, it is wasted wear and tear that the brakes could absorb.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:52 AM
blueillusion97
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recently i had a rental Jeep and i didnt have anything to do for a while so i was fliping through a manual and it sed when going steep downhill put the car in to low gear to slow it down....And Mercedes auto trannys have two options S (standart) and W (winter) and manual ses that when going downhill for a while its recomended to use W because it keeps the car in lower gear and it slows it down... Im with Texas911 on this one

Quick Reply: How Would You Drive This?