Sponsored by:

997 turbo engine is an embarrassment

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2007, 07:49 AM
mkc4s
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 turbo engine is an embarrassment

I recently looked at Corvette Z06 engine and compared it with 997 turbo engine. It is amazing how bad the Porsche turbo engine is: bigger, heavier, less horsepower, less torque, and yet incredibly complex (like it has nine oil pumps, no wonder it is so heavy).

Those engineers from Stuttgart should buy air tickets to Detroit and learn a lesson from GM how to build a simple, light, small, powerful engine.
Old 01-16-2007, 08:55 AM
brownie61
Intermediate

your ignorance is so profound that your question does not deserve a response.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:22 AM
99firehawk
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

its also bullet proof, gets better fuel economy, will run for ever, will not break, and more driveable day to day
Old 01-16-2007, 09:27 AM
TestnDoc
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mkc4s
I recently looked at Corvette Z06 engine and compared it with 997 turbo engine. It is amazing how bad the Porsche turbo engine is: bigger, heavier, less horsepower, less torque, and yet incredibly complex (like it has nine oil pumps, no wonder it is so heavy).

Those engineers from Stuttgart should buy air tickets to Detroit and learn a lesson from GM how to build a simple, light, small, powerful engine.
LOL...you must be on drugs...
Old 01-16-2007, 10:56 AM
RSA333
Racer

Mkc4s-

You obviously no nothing about engineering. You could say the same thing about the Dodge Viper's engine - which is a replicant of one of their truck engines.

Your reasoning runs counter-intuitive to the long endurance and realiability record of Porsche Turbo engines versus the Corvette's, in both racing and road use applications.

This is yet again another "flame-like" thread that keeps appearing on this forum - if you don't like the 997 Turbo, at least have some reasonable rationale or post somewhere else.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:48 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Oh contrare, as much as I love the porsche 997TT engine and all, the SBC Z06 engine is a much better/durable platform for racing. Just look at NASCAR, same basic engine, super reliable, tough to beat.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:14 PM
richk
Drifting

Received 882 Likes on 366 Posts

Chris

Maybe you should cancel your TT order and get the ZO6(you can get two for the price of one). Also, Porsche has a long and very successful racing history. I don't even recognize Nascar as a racing series(boring, boring, boring). The 997tt is the best car I have ever owned!!!!

Rich
Old 01-16-2007, 12:16 PM
RSA333
Racer

I was not aware that NASCAR was involved in endurance racing, but maybe that's one of their emerging markets. I am aware that the recent Corvettes have done well in the GT1 category in Le Mans-type events, but the American manufacturers aren't even close to the number of endurance wins by Porsche, even if they have not been all turbos.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:59 PM
AAHTT
Racer

can you provide the WEIGHT and SIZE of each engine and the source of your information? I would like to learn that. thanks.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:14 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do agree that the 997TT engine is unnecessarily complex. The VTG turbos are a gimmick imho.

However, I believe the 997TT engine is still built on a bulletproof reliable platform, proven for decades in endurance racing. Hopefully some of the technology they have thrown on top of it (variable turbos, variable timing, variable intake, etc), don't prove to be unreliable. I can think of nothing more annoying than buying a 997TT out of warranty a few years from now, only to have those various (and expensive) systems start malfunctioning. There is something to be said for simplicity. Engineers are SUPPOSED to find the most elegant/simple solution.
Old 01-16-2007, 01:37 PM
RSA333
Racer

pCar964-

Having run engineering companies, I do agree with your statement, "Engineers are SUPPOSED to find the most elegant/simple solution." In fact the current Corvette ZO6 engine has won many awards for its simplicity and reliability, and that is something to be proud of.

However, in my mind, I have driven and raced both Corvettes and 911 Turbos, and I think in terms of musical analogies (I play in a somewhat well-known band if you like jazz fusion).

The Corvette to me is like listening to Madonna's "Over the Borderline", and the 911 Turbo is like listening to Beethoven's 3rd symphony (Eroica) or Jimi Hendrix playing "Little Wing" (boy, that dates my age). They are all catchy tunes, but boy, in terms of music, Beethoven and Hendrix have Madonna beat by a mile.

Or for a sexist analogy, the Corvette is like a ("Stand By Your Man"- Tammy Wynette) woman, simple and not that smart, but with a great of commitment, whereas the Porsche TT is like dating a smart and beautiful model that will always stay with you (eg. "Sweet Dreams of You", Patsy Cline).

Maybe I have been taking too many drugs recently, performing too many surgeries (sleep-deprived)and doing way too much guitar playing.

BTW - I have the weight and size of the 9977 Turbo engine, and so can you if you cough up $150 for their downloadable shop manual.

Will post when I get the chance....
Old 01-16-2007, 01:55 PM
The B
Racer

LOL, man you have got to come stronger than that on this forum!
Old 01-16-2007, 01:59 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default NASCAR

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Oh contrare, as much as I love the porsche 997TT engine and all, the SBC Z06 engine is a much better/durable platform for racing. Just look at NASCAR, same basic engine, super reliable, tough to beat.
Restrictor plate racing- now there's a real test of automotive technology.
Old 01-16-2007, 02:33 PM
Zipgun
Instructor

Troll...
Old 01-16-2007, 02:39 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RSA333
pCar964-

Having run engineering companies, I do agree with your statement, "Engineers are SUPPOSED to find the most elegant/simple solution." In fact the current Corvette ZO6 engine has won many awards for its simplicity and reliability, and that is something to be proud of.

However, in my mind, I have driven and raced both Corvettes and 911 Turbos, and I think in terms of musical analogies (I play in a somewhat well-known band if you like jazz fusion).

The Corvette to me is like listening to Madonna's "Over the Borderline", and the 911 Turbo is like listening to Beethoven's 3rd symphony (Eroica) or Jimi Hendrix playing "Little Wing" (boy, that dates my age). They are all catchy tunes, but boy, in terms of music, Beethoven and Hendrix have Madonna beat by a mile.

Or for a sexist analogy, the Corvette is like a ("Stand By Your Man"- Tammy Wynette) woman, simple and not that smart, but with a great of commitment, whereas the Porsche TT is like dating a smart and beautiful model that will always stay with you (eg. "Sweet Dreams of You", Patsy Cline).

Maybe I have been taking too many drugs recently, performing too many surgeries (sleep-deprived)and doing way too much guitar playing.

BTW - I have the weight and size of the 9977 Turbo engine, and so can you if you cough up $150 for their downloadable shop manual.

Will post when I get the chance....
I agree with you 100%. And there are some engineering problems that do require innovative yet complex solutions. But VTG does not solve any problem, only adds complexity. By many accounts, the lag is not really reduced compared to the 996TT, and they are not capable of pushing much more boost than stock, if one was inclined to seek more power... So complexity is not bad, but for its own sake, it is.

Quick Reply: 997 turbo engine is an embarrassment