Sponsored by:

Finally picked it up!

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 09:28 AM
brownie61
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Finally picked it up!

After four months of waiting I finally picked up my new GT silver / black TT. It had 12 miles on the odometer and I have put on an additional 50 miles since late yesterday. First impressions are consistent with other posts --- very solid, feels glued to the road, boost really kicks in around 3000 rpm. Smooth power delivery, deceptively fast. Didn't notice too much understeer from the awd although Atlanta traffic has kept me from pushing too hard so far. Clutch feel is quite light and takes a little getting used to. Road noise from the wide tires was not as noticeable as some other posters have indicated. Stereo is good but did not blow me away like the performance. My previous mid-life crisis was a Z8 and this car puts it to shame (although the Z8 is a beautiful car).

For those of you on the fence, do it! For those of you still waiting, it's worth it! I'll try to post some pictures this weekend.

Options: sport chrono, lsd, heated seats, leather console with turbo logo, thicker steering wheel, floor mats.
Old 01-12-2007, 09:29 AM
turbo'S'
Intermediate

Congrats. Ive had mine a week and loving every minute. Just wish the weather here was better to enjoy it.
Lovely spec, enjoy!
Old 01-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Zipgun
Instructor

Man my "Never buy a 1st year car rule" is really starting to smart. I was also holding out for the PDK as well.

But after reading all these new car threads.... posts.... I just dont know if I can hold out

Congrats on the new car!!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:05 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes still waiting...yes still in pain...send pics ASAP
Old 01-12-2007, 10:06 AM
raclaims
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 166 Posts

Hit reply too quickly...forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 01-12-2007, 03:01 PM
outofmoney
Intermediate

brownie61,

Congrats on your new ride. I have been looking into Z8's lately. Did you sell yours to get into the TT?
How do you compare the two? The Z8 is a beautiful car, kinda old school. And there is that limited edition feel. Possibly less depreciation over the years compared to TT. I am not a big convertable guy but the Z8 looks great with the top down.

Cheers.
Old 01-12-2007, 06:12 PM
brownie61
Intermediate

outofmoney, I sold the Z8 about three months ago. I loved the looks of the car (definitely retro) but after 3 years of ownership I was ready for a change. The Z8 has a great engine (the old 4.4 liter M5 engine) but brakes and handling need to be upgraded if you want to track it or drive it aggressively. Stereo sucks, a whole lot of cockpit turbulence with the top down, quite a bit of wind noise at speed with the top up and doesn't have many of the features of newer cars. But, if you're looking for a beautiful ragtop that won't be your daily driver, I would recommend it.
Old 01-13-2007, 12:59 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

enjoy that car- you equipt it well. how is the market for buying in atlanta-is msrp the norm?
Old 01-13-2007, 05:01 AM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

You lucky one! Congrats
Old 01-13-2007, 09:16 AM
brownie61
Intermediate

Doc, MSRP does seem to be the norm in Atlanta. When I decided to buy a TT in early October one dealer said 7-8 month wait and the other had a Dec (which I took) and Mar build date available. Coincidentally, the day after I took delivery the first dealer emailed me saying that they have a TT available that will be delivered in the near future so the market could be loosening up here a bit. I don't know the particulars of the car. As a point of reference the dealer I used (Hennessy) is selling 3-5 a month.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Danyals
2nd Gear

Congrats! I'm new here and hope to have some fun chatting with you guys!
Oops! Almost forgot to say Congratulations!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:49 AM
tifosi66
Intermediate

Congrats!
Old 01-20-2007, 10:17 AM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Default Z8

Originally Posted by brownie61
outofmoney, I sold the Z8 about three months ago. I loved the looks of the car (definitely retro) but after 3 years of ownership I was ready for a change. The Z8 has a great engine (the old 4.4 liter M5 engine) but brakes and handling need to be upgraded if you want to track it or drive it aggressively. Stereo sucks, a whole lot of cockpit turbulence with the top down, quite a bit of wind noise at speed with the top up and doesn't have many of the features of newer cars. But, if you're looking for a beautiful ragtop that won't be your daily driver, I would recommend it.
Any problems with aluminum frame cracks? When I was looking at Z8's, I was told this was an issue.
Jim
Old 01-20-2007, 11:17 AM
RickWJenn
Intermediate

Congratulations - I bet it is drop dead gorgeous in GT Sliver/Black.

Enjoy and take some pictures for us please.
Old 01-20-2007, 01:28 PM
brownie61
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jgerken
Any problems with aluminum frame cracks? When I was looking at Z8's, I was told this was an issue.
Jim
My car was ok although many other Z8's had the shock tower deformation issue. In short, if you hit a big bump at speed you run the risk of bending the aluminum frame. You can check for the problem by seeing if there is any bulging or "crowning" of the shock tower (i.e. the bolts splay outward slightly instead of being flat). In very bad cases the gap between the hood and the front quarter panels is also far from uniform. Before anyone buys one I would strongly encourage that the car be checked out by a professional. BMW is now offering a fix which is essentially a strut brace across the engine connecting the shock towers. Of course if the frame is already bent you're screwed. This has been a huge issue in Z8 owner circles and there has been talk of litigation. Since I sold my car I haven't been keeping up to date (having too much fun with my TT!).

Quick Reply: Finally picked it up!