Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2007, 04:54 PM
tstafford
Race Car

Received 1,085 Likes on 621 Posts
Default Contemplating Purchase - Questions

Guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a TT and would welcome your comments:

- Deal: Someone backed out of a commitment to pruchase so I can get the car at sticker. It's on the boat. Optioned as I would want (Basalt/Grey, SC, Full Leather) although it has red seatbelts - not my first choice. Sticker is as good as it gets on a new car, right??
- Current car: Will be trading my 997S w/ AWE Cats/Exhaust, Sport Shift, etc. I love this car. Will also be trading a Maserati that I shouldn't have in the first place!

Questions:
- Is the TT truly a daily driver in the way that the 997S is? That's what I love about the car. I will drive it to work every day. I live in Nashville so weather is rarely a concern.

- Is the AWD in any way obtrusive? I had a 996 C4S and didn't really like the handling. I like the feel of the 997S a bunch.

- How does the TT sound with stock exhaust? I really hated the stock exhaust sound on my 997S so I upgraded to AWE and really like it a bunch.

- Related question: Does anyone have experience with AWE on a TT? All I care about are comments on the sound and general build quality.

I realize this is a ton of questions, but I am in the middle of the deal and it's moving quickly! Your advice and knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim

-
Old 01-06-2007, 06:52 PM
jgerken
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up one opinion

Sticker is as good as it gets on a new car, right??
That's about the best real deal I've heard of.

- Is the TT truly a daily driver in the way that the 997S is?
True. Great around town, all day comfort.

- Is the AWD in any way obtrusive?
Well, it's not like a GT3 but so far with only 600 miles AWD hasn't drawn attention to itself. Aggressive street driving is great.

- How does the TT sound with stock exhaust?
Quiet, it could use some exhaust system help.

- Does anyone have experience with AWE on a TT?
Not yet.

The car is deceptively quick, build quality is first rate (no punch list for dealer!) and the car is very engaging. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.

Jim
Old 01-06-2007, 07:03 PM
photonscience
Instructor

Received 120 Likes on 46 Posts
Default my opinion

daily driver - YES - wonderful daily driver

I guarantee you will HATE the exhaust/engine sound on the new car - it gets better with time but you should know that the engine is gruff sounding (it doesn't have the "sweet" metallic sound of a N/A 997) and the exhaust really sounds like a vacuum cleaner until it breaks in after about 3K miles - then it sounds better - but still not good.

I've put 7K miles on my car in 7 months and have never enjoyed a vehicle more.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:09 PM
golfguy
Racer

my comments inline with Jim's

Sticker is as good as it gets on a new car, right??
That's about the best real deal I've heard of.
*** for now ...

- Is the TT truly a daily driver in the way that the 997S is?
True. Great around town, all day comfort.
*** yes, except it will be deceivingly fast compared to your 997s ... especially if you are driving to the note of the exhaust.

- Is the AWD in any way obtrusive?
Well, it's not like a GT3 but so far with only 600 miles AWD hasn't drawn attention to itself. Aggressive street driving is great.
*** it has far less understeer than the previous generations of awd

- How does the TT sound with stock exhaust?
Quiet, it could use some exhaust system help.
*** i agree but non-porsche owners think it sounds good.

- Does anyone have experience with AWE on a TT?
Not yet.
** check with eclou. here's his post https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/319577-awe-exhaust-installed.html

The car is deceptively quick, build quality is first rate (no punch list for dealer!) and the car is very engaging. I couldn't be more pleased with my decision.
*** it's definitely the best 911 yet but i'm comparing it to a 993tt (i hated the feel and style of the 996tt). you may not notice as much of a difference stepping up from a 997s other than better power and handling.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Tioga120
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts

I agree ^^^

Buy it before it's to late.

If you do not like red seat belts you can change them out.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:35 PM
AAHTT
Racer

Originally Posted by tstafford
Guys,

I have the opportunity to purchase a TT and would welcome your comments:

- Deal: Someone backed out of a commitment to pruchase so I can get the car at sticker. It's on the boat. Optioned as I would want (Basalt/Grey, SC, Full Leather) although it has red seatbelts - not my first choice. Sticker is as good as it gets on a new car, right??
- Current car: Will be trading my 997S w/ AWE Cats/Exhaust, Sport Shift, etc. I love this car. Will also be trading a Maserati that I shouldn't have in the first place!

Questions:
- Is the TT truly a daily driver in the way that the 997S is? That's what I love about the car. I will drive it to work every day. I live in Nashville so weather is rarely a concern.

- Is the AWD in any way obtrusive? I had a 996 C4S and didn't really like the handling. I like the feel of the 997S a bunch.

- How does the TT sound with stock exhaust? I really hated the stock exhaust sound on my 997S so I upgraded to AWE and really like it a bunch.

- Related question: Does anyone have experience with AWE on a TT? All I care about are comments on the sound and general build quality.

I realize this is a ton of questions, but I am in the middle of the deal and it's moving quickly! Your advice and knowledge is appreciated.

Thanks.
Tim

-
first question: yes for daily driver, I have put 10k miles on mine since july without problem.
second question: no, I don't think the awd is obtrusive but again the car's handling is nothing like a boxster for example, it is mainly the weight I think and not the awd.
third question: yes, the stock exhaust sucks big time and you will need something else, I went with the Cargraphic export version and never looked back.
the fourth question is referred to eclou or others who have the AWE.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

10,000 miles since July!
Old 01-07-2007, 12:45 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Thanks for all the comments. Your help is really appreciated. I'll post on Monday if and when I get the car.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:18 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i agree with everyone else. i had a 997c4s with a sports exhaust on it-that certainly sounded better, but i really don't think that the exhaust sounds so bad on the turbo. i think that the 997s will feel a bit lighter and handle a bit sportier, but the power of the turbo is intoxicating. i would (and did) make the change. if the exhaust note bothers you, you can also get an aftermarket exhaust.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:59 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tstafford
Thanks for all the comments. Your help is really appreciated. I'll post on Monday if and when I get the car.
I put AWE on my 997TT.

Great sound
faster throttle response due to decreased lag

Live in Chicago and drive every day. Using Conti Winter Sports Tires
Old 01-07-2007, 02:11 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by allegretto
I put AWE on my 997TT.

Great sound
faster throttle response due to decreased lag

Live in Chicago and drive every day. Using Conti Winter Sports Tires
i do love my turbo, but on the way home from work today, a red modena passed me coming the opposite way. i must admit-i think that car is the best looking car made. a real work of art. i, like you, put winter tires on my turbo and drive it every day. but that modena-what a beauty.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:52 AM
gradyex
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tim, I would be very interested in your comparison to the 997S. I have a 2005 S coupe and am contemplating upgrading to a Turbo but I have a hard time justifying the difference in cost plus the depreciation my 997S will take after just 2 years. I paid $92K for my S in 2004 and the kelley blue book trade in for my car would be about $65K plus between $70K - $80K in cash to get the turbo optioned the way I like. I can't even find a car to test drive so my thoughts are to keep my S for at least 2 more years and then make the upgrade after my warranty expires. Anyhow, I eagerly await your comparison when it arrives. You must be exited! I know I would be!
Old 01-07-2007, 08:55 AM
tstafford
Race Car

Originally Posted by gradyex
Tim, I would be very interested in your comparison to the 997S. I have a 2005 S coupe and am contemplating upgrading to a Turbo but I have a hard time justifying the difference in cost plus the depreciation my 997S will take after just 2 years. I paid $92K for my S in 2004 and the kelley blue book trade in for my car would be about $65K plus between $70K - $80K in cash to get the turbo optioned the way I like. I can't even find a car to test drive so my thoughts are to keep my S for at least 2 more years and then make the upgrade after my warranty expires. Anyhow, I eagerly await your comparison when it arrives. You must be exited! I know I would be!
Will do. Hopefully I can get the deal worked out.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:50 PM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

lots of people have gone from an s to a turbo, i had an s-the s drives much lighter and is sportier, maybe even a bit sharper handling than the turbo. i have a 997tt. the major difference is the power and the looks. think of your 997s with a bit heavier feel and almost 1/3 more power. is it worth the money?-i can tell you that i wish the turbo felt more like an s-but it is tough, as it is a heavier car with awd. try to find someone online who lives by you and drive the turbo.
Old 01-07-2007, 06:04 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 674 Likes on 341 Posts

I paid 81K for my '06 997 S (85.5 sticker) last March and have a deposit down for an April build on a TT. I was offered 67.5 on trade and my configuration has me having to come up with another 70K. Is it worth it? To me it is. I want it and am grateful i'm in the position to make the move. So, that's what I"m doing.

I've driven the TT twice (this morning as a matter of fact - thanks again ken!) and it is very different than my S. As Doc said the S feels much lighter with the TT having a much more solid feel to me. This is what some of the detractors may NOT like about the TT. I think it feels great.

I have confirmed after my 2nd drive with one today that with the S it is almost impossible to drive with the car's suspension in the sport mode. The TT in this mode is much smoother - almost like the S in std. mode.

The other thing i'm struggling with is whether to get PCCB's. Both TT's i've driven had them and they do feel great. I'm aware of the arguements on both sides but we'll see.

Quick Reply: Contemplating Purchase - Questions