Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Turbo fatal crash near Pittsburgh, PA

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 AM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the field of trauma and emergency care a distiction is often drawn between a motor vehicle accident and a motor vehicle collision. (we've gone from using the abbreviation MVA to MVC). According to these people this was no accident. It was simply a collision or a crash both avoidable. Although their focus on accident prevention is laudable more than anything this insistence on proper terminology reflects that some people in the medical profession just have too much time on their hands (as do I).

I beleive that in some cases language can be used to alter public perception. This can be done in very subtle ways. As an example HMOs like to talk about "health care providers" rather than "doctors". Why is that? Because they want the public to think that by using a single category to characterize who is providing their care they can get away with using lower saleried individuals to service their policy-holders like a nurse practioner etc. How can you you complain afterall when you are being seen by a "heath care provider?" They are providing health care and that's what yourr premiums are paying for.

Similarly look at the abortion issue. The pro-life people stand quite simply for what their movement is called. The pro-abortion people, however, don't call themselves "pro-abortion" (although they should) but attempt to put a positive spin on it by calling it pro-choice.

What a crock of **** that is. But it works.

So languge can be used in interesting ways in an attempt to manipulate public opinion and ultimately legislation etc.

As an aside I think that it is pathological to grieve for someone you don't personally know (or at least have acquitance with as a public figure).
Old 12-05-2006, 05:45 AM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For what's worth, a 2006 Porsche 911 Turbo = 996.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:49 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

unfortunate but it happens.
ironic that he had a company that sold prosthetics...
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by W211
FWIW, Porsche didn't make a TT in '06, '05 was the last yr for the 996TT(S).
Old 12-05-2006, 11:40 AM
AudiologisTT
Instructor

Originally Posted by W211
from the (little) you can see in pic it looks like a 997 Turbo
(they probably meant that it was purchased new this year)

very sad that the car is in such a mangled state that can not even be identified

Originally Posted by ltc
Based on what was written so far, this was NOT a tragedy.
I do not know any more than what I've read in the reports and it's not fair for anyone to make judgments without all the facts, however, I still think that this is a tragic event ...

even if the driver is completely at fault, even if this could have been avoided, the loss of life is tragic, even at the narrowest definition of the word

Originally Posted by ltc
If it makes you feel better for having sympathy for every single case of death/loss, then that's fine....a bit misguided and misplaced, but it's a personal choice.
sorry but, imo, that's just way too cynical a view

semantic differences or not, we should all relate and empathize
(and be extra careful driving)
Old 12-05-2006, 01:07 PM
964ryb
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ltc
"State police at Greensburg said last night the men were traveling south on Arona Road at a high rate of speed when the car went off the west berm of the road and hit several trees a half-mile from Svetz's home"

Definitely not a tragedy, more like an avoidable accident, at least based on what was reported.
before we start going down this road it might be best to be sure that we are all on the same page as to the meaning of the word...tragedy

The literary definition- "a dramatic composition, often in verse, dealing with a serious or somber theme, typically that of a great person destined through a flaw of character or conflict with some overpowering force, as fate or society, to downfall or destruction."

and the common " a lamentable, dreadful, or fatal event or affair"

-dictionary.com

all of these elements are present- a successful individual and father with the flaw being in his character (be that driving to fast/poor decision or consumption of alcohol or pride or w/e)... and fatal

It would seem as though this event is in fact tragic, just as the cab crash was, just as any loss of life is...
Old 12-05-2006, 01:54 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiologisTT
.....sorry but, imo, that's just way too cynical a view
semantic differences or not, we should all relate and empathize
(and be extra careful driving)
I prefer to chose who I relate to and emphathize to, thanks.
I wonder if the widow will sue PCNA and PAG, as in the CGT crash in Fontana, claiming the 997TT, like the CGT, is unsafe.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

This seems like a drastically different circumstance (of course the similiarities are also apparant) Wouldn't you need to wait for a blood alcohol level and forensic evaluation prior to establishment of factors contributing to the collision?
The Fontana event had concerns of track management, safety, driver qualification, possible avoidance of event rules, and a car the driver thought was handling improperly (as I recall). This seems more like a "Hold my beer and watch this", possibly without the beer. AS
Old 12-05-2006, 10:47 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

I thnk the Fontana incident may have been the very same thing, when all is said and done.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Moral of the story; learn how to drive it on the track.
500hp, ETOH, too much testosterone and amateur drivers is a bad combo, seldom ends good.
FWIW, I tend to agree with Colm on Fontana as much as I wish it wasn't so.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The problem here is everyone generally thinks they're the the best drivers in the world. That, coupled with unsafe roads makes for this sort of event. I saved my high speed driving for the autobahns where at least traffic control is better and roads are more predictable. Within the article it mentioned that it happened within a few miles of his home,--so he 'thought' he knew the roads well. I'm sick and tired of Porsche taking the hit on this stuff. America and it's sue-craziness has fouled up everything. Let's hope the widow doesn't get contacted by some ambulance chaser. Personal responsibility. It's simple.
Old 12-14-2006, 05:58 PM
autoparthaus
Track Day

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The problem here is everyone generally thinks they're the the best drivers in the world. That, coupled with unsafe roads makes for this sort of event. I saved my high speed driving for the autobahns where at least traffic control is better and roads are more predictable. Within the article it mentioned that it happened within a few miles of his home,--so he 'thought' he knew the roads well. I'm sick and tired of Porsche taking the hit on this stuff. America and it's sue-craziness has fouled up everything. Let's hope the widow doesn't get contacted by some ambulance chaser. Personal responsibility. It's simple.
Bingo Gringo.
Old 12-15-2006, 04:06 AM
craigsduc
Instructor

Thumbs down

It is always a real eye opener when these types of accidents happen............and it reminds me of when I hit a deer 4 years ago on my Ducati and was airlifted to USC trauma center. My pain was far less that that of my wife when she arrived at the scene only to see me being placed into the Sheriffs helicopter on a stretcher with fluids bottles/tubes hanging over me. Speed wasn,t even an issue then as the deer was simply chasing two does in rutting season. Bad luck for me ! I do think we all have driven at speed on the road at some point. I also think many of us have spent some time on the track at speed...............and experienced how the more track time we perform usually results in slower street speeds. We begin to realize how stupid it is to drive on the street with a race face on. I,m sure most of you can relate. If you can,t. do all of us and yourself a favor and go to the track and discover what others have discovered about driving at speed period! In this case, perhaps drinking was involved but the real issue here is simply driving at very high rates of speed on the street is flat out stupid...................especially with passengers. I know, I know we don,t have the facts but based on the damages depicted in the photo, speed seems to be the major factor. If he did hit a dear, the speed was still the main factor here. I feel terrible for everyone involved from the wives ,families, and friends of the deceased, to the emergency crews that got there only to turn back. Sorry, but this was a tragic accident that has negatively affected many people needlessly because of driving too fast on the street.....................................I know it will affect the way I drive for quite some time..................
Old 12-29-2006, 01:49 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Default Anyone ever hear if this accident was booze related or whatever????

Originally Posted by boolala
In the field of trauma and emergency care a distiction is often drawn between a motor vehicle accident and a motor vehicle collision. (we've gone from using the abbreviation MVA to MVC). According to these people this was no accident. It was simply a collision or a crash both avoidable. Although their focus on accident prevention is laudable more than anything this insistence on proper terminology reflects that some people in the medical profession just have too much time on their hands (as do I).

I beleive that in some cases language can be used to alter public perception. This can be done in very subtle ways. As an example HMOs like to talk about "health care providers" rather than "doctors". Why is that? Because they want the public to think that by using a single category to characterize who is providing their care they can get away with using lower saleried individuals to service their policy-holders like a nurse practioner etc. How can you you complain afterall when you are being seen by a "heath care provider?" They are providing health care and that's what yourr premiums are paying for.

Similarly look at the abortion issue. The pro-life people stand quite simply for what their movement is called. The pro-abortion people, however, don't call themselves "pro-abortion" (although they should) but attempt to put a positive spin on it by calling it pro-choice.

What a crock of **** that is. But it works.

So languge can be used in interesting ways in an attempt to manipulate public opinion and ultimately legislation etc.

As an aside I think that it is pathological to grieve for someone you don't personally know (or at least have acquitance with as a public figure).
Anyone ever get the latest on this accident? Coming from a party, most likely booze was a part, but I still wonder if they figured out what caused the car to leave the road like that, a deer in the road, wet pavement and oversteer???
Old 12-29-2006, 12:31 PM
gmoney99
Instructor

I know the widow, she worked for the same company I work for as did her mother for quite some time. I have no other info about the accident but I would highly doubt alcohol was involved. I only met the driver twice personally during my time in Pittsburgh, he was a true 'car guy'.

Im sure there are many factors, excessive speed, famously narrow and twisty Pittsburgh area roads and also factor in very cold temps = low traction even with AWD, perhaps some gravel on the road? Who knows for sure? Just drive safe.

Quick Reply: 997 Turbo fatal crash near Pittsburgh, PA