Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat beat warning can be turned off and sport chrono lights on!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2006, 12:06 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Seat beat warning can be turned off and sport chrono lights on!!

If the dealer tells you they can not take that out tell them BS. I pulled mine out with the PISWIS this weekend. There is a coding for it to be removed so it can be done.

The other interesting thing is the sport chrono lights can be turned on even if the unit is not activated so it doesn’t look like a dead gauge. The lights will also come on when the headlights are on. So all the sudden it looks like something other than a sorta working gauge in the dash.

Upon farther coding I noticed that the radio has a code for SAT radio. Not sure what the heck that is but you bet I will find out.

There are a host of options available and just waiting to be coded. Cool stuff I thought I would share.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:43 AM
W211
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the valuable information, do you care to share the code number with us? Is there a way we can make the warning come on without the beep?
Old 11-21-2006, 09:13 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my 95 997S the chrono always lights up even when its not on, did they change it?
Old 11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

It is almost self explanatory when they go into the coding section of that module. It is under the instrument cluster module. The seat belt if I remember is under the gateway module.

They had to of. Every Chrono I have seen doesn't light up.
Old 11-21-2006, 07:58 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

My '06 997S sport chrono only lights up when it's activated and the headlights are on, fwiw.

I like it that way; the 'wart' doesn't need to be lit unless activated, in my book.
Old 11-22-2006, 12:06 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Looks like some of the dealers are actually playing with these cars. Some are not even properly prepping them at all.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:05 AM
Vudu
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My dealer always says they cannot physically remove the seatbelt warning chime, but I know it's BS. I'm guessing they can't/won't do it for safety/legal reasons.. although they don't have a problem removing the speeding chime as long as you sign a waiver first..

I never drive without a seltbelt anyway, but it's annoying to have to put it on to stop the chime just to move the car across the driveway or around the block
Old 11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

They told me the same thing which is why I was happy to find that it can be shut off. Personally I always wear my seat belt. Flip a car once and you will understand why. However, it is a pain when I am just going around the building and the thng is bling, bling, bling
Old 11-22-2006, 04:56 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 301 Likes on 177 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Vudu
My dealer always says they cannot physically remove the seatbelt warning chime, but I know it's BS. I'm guessing they can't/won't do it for safety/legal reasons.. although they don't have a problem removing the speeding chime as long as you sign a waiver first..

I never drive without a seltbelt anyway, but it's annoying to have to put it on to stop the chime just to move the car across the driveway or around the block
Ding, sadly the dealership would be violating DOT laws that state all vehicles from xyz date forward must have seat belt warning chimes. Its very annoying but the government is trying to save the stupid ones that some how require a light and sound to remind them to buckle up. When I get in a car thats first thing I do after the car warms up and I get ready to hit the road.

PorschePhD what are you using to recode your car? Dealer computer?

Also side note if porsche na is listening here is the simple fix:
If (car speed = 0 & gear selection = neutral | gear selection = park) then
DON'T BEEP
Else
Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep Beep
End If

Old 11-22-2006, 06:32 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by NiteJav
PorschePhD what are you using to recode your car? Dealer computer?
Yes, PIWIS.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:24 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
On my 95 997S the chrono always lights up even when its not on, did they change it?
06 997 - only lights up when activated.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:28 PM
99firehawk
Drifting

we can turn off and on alot of things in "theory" but due to laws and regulatios we cant do a lot of things.

be carefull with coding, it tends to flip out everyonce in a while. we had a 997 with faults for tranfercase control unit and auxilary heating unit ...............thought it was cayenne and a boxster with ptm (997 turbo traction control ) faults, was a lot of work to make them right again
Old 11-22-2006, 11:38 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

I am very familiar with coding. I have been doing this for a while Ok maybe longer than that. The coding these cars is not that hard to deal with in retrospect to some of the VAG long coding( you also have short coding) . That is much more difficult since the blocks will allow you to basically kill the module with 00000000. You had better hoped you wrote the number down. I have recoded my T-reg to do all sorts of new things.

Correct, and in theory we are not suppose to touch cats prior to 60K miles from the last time I checked, yet many sell and replace the systems including other dealer. DOT does not mediate that the seat belt light beep while moving, only a visible warning is present on the dash. Removing the beep is not a DOT violation. Now, removing my cats…LOL that is a different story.

Also FWIW those wondering about the Sat radio, use the 955 retro kit in the TSB on the system and install it, recode the PCM and make sure you are on 2.1 B version. Wham, you have XM or Sirus through the PCM. Cost is not cheap(1100.00) and the dealer will tell you it can not be done...hogwash. I have a couple on order!!
Old 11-22-2006, 11:41 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Originally Posted by 99firehawk
we can turn off and on alot of things in "theory" but due to laws and regulatios we cant do a lot of things.

be carefull with coding, it tends to flip out everyonce in a while. we had a 997 with faults for tranfercase control unit and auxilary heating unit ...............thought it was cayenne and a boxster with ptm (997 turbo traction control ) faults, was a lot of work to make them right again

Got one on you....Porsche recoded a 987 update with a 997 number. Exact same as the 987 software number just they screwed up and placed 997 in front instead of 987. I flashed it and the 997 did not like being a 987 Talk about a pain to reverse. Sheez.
Old 11-24-2006, 11:10 AM
turbojohn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure of the "smartness" of turning of seat belt warning. With air bags, seat belts are mandatory and hopefully the new TT has an audio warning. With the wife's new Honda, the belt-audio seems a pain, but short/long term it is best to be warned about the belts. My current M3 has just the red light in dash and often securing belt is overlooked. BMW says without the belt on, the airbag will come out and smash your face, etc. The air bag inflates with your body against it. However secured with a seatbelt, there is time for the airbag to inflate before the driver hits it.

Quick Reply: Seat beat warning can be turned off and sport chrono lights on!!