Sponsored by:

Gallardo 6spd (not egear) vs Well optioned 997tt

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2006, 02:09 PM
NiteJav
Burning Brakes

Received 299 Likes on 176 Posts
Default Gallardo 6spd (not egear) vs Well optioned 997tt

A well optioned 997tt comes somewhat close to a Gallardo in price. I know this will probably result in a somewhat bias answer since this is a porsche forum.

If you had the opportunity to own a Gallardo or 997tt as a secondary car which would choose? If it was a daily driver would the answer change? After all Porsche does own a stake in the Audi/VW group which owns Lambo and the Gallardo clearly has many parts swiped from the Audi/VW parts bins.

In terms of stats, the Gallardo is slightly slower in 0-60, qmile, 0-100, 0-150. Would the Gallardo's looks and sounds be able to make up for the fact its not as fast?

No I am not trying to start a riot here or anything along those lines. I like both cars equally but for different reasons, and I am wondering what route the rest of you would take if presented with this question.....
Old 09-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Tahoe M3
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a secondary car, Gallardo. As a daily driver, 997TT. I think the Gallardo would be a bit much as a daily driver...too much attention, too much concern about dings, too impractical. As a secondary car, no problem. I think the 997TT is more liveable as a daily driver, but I still wouldnt have it as my only car.
Old 09-17-2006, 05:27 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a couple of friends that have owned Gallardos. but not for long.

Daily driver or special car

More service shops
bigger cabin
more comfort
resale, now maybe a Gallardo "holds its value" better, I dont know, but a TT is veary saleable
not as flashy

All works for me
Old 09-17-2006, 07:05 PM
Boulder GT3

Tough call. Both great cars. I have had a couple of 996tt's and have a Gallardo now. I've had zero trouble with the G. None, nada, nix. The tt will be more refined but not as much more than you might think. The G has instant right now torque pretty much everywhere. The two cars share some driving feel with the AWD.

I can think of some things that suck about driving a G daily:

Too much attention.

Clearance is much better in the P car.

Bad rear visibility.

Horrible mileage around town. About 13MPG.

No storage.

That said. I've gone nuts for the G. It's a ton of fun to own and drive.

I also think the 997tt is fantastic. I'm going probably sell my GT3 and buy a tt when they become a little more available.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:15 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

From what I have read in at least two magazines, while behind at the start, the Gallardo actually overtakes and begins to gain a steady lead on the 997TT from 130 mph on.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:25 PM
Boulder GT3

Originally Posted by Philip in AL
From what I have read in at least two magazines, while behind at the start, the Gallardo actually overtakes and begins to gain a steady lead on the 997TT from 130 mph on.
Could be at sea level but I doubt it in Colorado. The turbo whoosh is tough to beat at altitude.
Old 09-17-2006, 09:54 PM
E55AMG
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 340 Posts

A similiar question was asked over at 6speedonline. The overwhelming response (in the 997TT forum) was for the G.
Old 09-17-2006, 10:11 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Originally Posted by NiteJav
A well optioned 997tt comes somewhat close to a Gallardo in price.
HUH??? I'm lucky enough to own both and the sticker on my 05 Gallardo was $186,000 and on the 07 997TT, it was $132,000. If I remember my High School math correctly, the definition 'somewhat close' really isn't that close. Just busting you a little!

As far as a daily driver, I believe the 997TT is the better choice. They're both excellent cars to drive. The Gallardo obviously gets more attention because of its body style and its deeper sound. BUT.... the 997TT has an enclosed engine compartment so you don't have to worry about getting your engine bay all dirty in a heavy rain shower. The TT will also attract less attention which makes it a little safer to take to the mall or the grocery store or wherever. Both are fast as hell and fantastic to drive so I don't think you'll be unhappy with either. I can't speak about service on the Gallardo because I only have about 900-1000 miles. I just got the TT a month or so ago so the mileage is low to.

If you like flash.... go with the Gallardo. If you want to feel more comfortable with your car around town and not overly paranoid about having to watch it AS much.... go with the 997TT. Mags
Old 09-17-2006, 11:41 PM
Moogle
Race Car

The Gallardo is a very special car, and with audi/vw group engineering, is quite reliable.

TT Pros:

Discreet (relatively)
Great gas mileage
Comfortable
Bulletproof reliability
Tuning Potential
Easier/cheaper to source parts/service.
Backseats/practicality.

TT Cons (?):

Not too many, automatic is faster than 6speed. (not sure which one you wanted for the TT)
Discreet (depending on what you want the car to do)
Less exotic than the Gallardo and will be more common (again relative)

Gallardo Pros:

Very special and exotic
V10
Engine Note
Makes every single trip an event (again relative but it is definitely more special than the TT)

Gallardo Cons:

Very flashy (something that is defintely a disadvantage in some situations no matter how you look at it)
Ground clearance
Less tuning potential from simple bolt ons
Less service places
Worse gas mileage
Less Practical

Which ever way you go, you can't go wrong.

I suppose the biggest difference between these two cars is how flashy you want to be.

As drivers cars, they both accel, both are 4WD and are supremely forgiving. Both are trackable, both are definitely in the supercar class.

Both make Excellent GT cars for long trips with the TT (just slightly) edging out the Lambo in terms of storage space and overall reliability and peace of mind.

PS. Magwheel, that is one hell of a collection. Do any of the cars feel a bit redundant?

Sure if you have the time to drive them and excersize them all just for the hell of it it must be quite a laugh to own all those, but surely some must be eclipsed by others in a few if not all aspects.

You must spend alot of time at various dealers even for scheduled services
Old 09-18-2006, 04:34 AM
franki68
Track Day

Magwheel..I want your car collection.
Old 09-18-2006, 04:44 PM
997GT3
Cruisin'

Lightbulb

Hi Magwheel,

I would suggest selling the Maranello and the 430 to get the 599GTB. I really can't think of a better Ferrari. It's a masterpiece. For all out performance and precision you will still have the CGT.

Just a thought

Cheers.

Z.
Old 09-18-2006, 05:00 PM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

He's already sold the Maranello. I think that the Turbo was it's replacement.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
magwheel
Instructor

Talking I really didn't plan on it...

Originally Posted by atomic80
He's already sold the Maranello. I think that the Turbo was it's replacement.
Hey atomic80, The 997 TT was kinda a replacement..... but I really didn't plan on it..... honestly. I was keeping the 997 TT outside and something had to go to give it garage space. The Maranello was a beautiful car but it just didn't have the ***** the 997 TT has. So.... well you know the rest of the story.

I may look at the 599 but I sure would like to hear some first hand owners reviews. Time will tell. Then on the other hand.... getting one might be as hard as getting a date with Pamela Anderson!!! I'll have to check into that before even thinking about a 599 which may otherwise be in the Fall of 07 or Spring of 08.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If anthing falls out of the tree..... I'll let you know! Mags

p.s. I can't remember who did the absolutely outrageous avatar for me and I'm too lazy to go through all the posts to check! . If you're out there somewhere reading this, I'd like to do a NEW line-up SOON and would greatly appreciate it if you could re-do my avatar with your obvious expertise! Please help ME! Michael
Old 09-18-2006, 11:31 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 66 Posts

I never even considered the Lambo before the purchase of the 997TT. Maybe I should have. It seems like quite a vehicle.

Sorry I can't add in helping you to a conclusion, I've never driven one. Actually, come to think of it, I've never driven any Lamborghini. Ferrari's, YES, Porsche's, YES, other exotics, MANY.. But never a Lambo.. I would like to drive one some day.. Maybe even own one.

B
Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 AM
atomic80
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Mags, send me a PM, I might be able to help you with the avatar...we'll talk about it.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the 997TT/Maranello. I had a feeling that's what you were doing there because I'd have done the same if I were in your position.

Quick Reply: Gallardo 6spd (not egear) vs Well optioned 997tt