Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got my RT12

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2006, 04:15 PM
maxwell
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow. There is no substitute for that! So do tell, 550, 590 or 650?
Old 08-27-2006, 05:10 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 473 Likes on 240 Posts

Congrats Hesperus on your RT12 - it's a true beauty and one of the fastest 911s on the planet!
For anyone who hasn't seen one in action before, check out this video:
http://coochas.com/porsche/Resources/996RufRT12.wmv
Old 08-30-2006, 07:52 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by maxwell
Wow. There is no substitute for that! So do tell, 550, 590 or 650?
thanks very much. well... 650 of course!
Old 08-30-2006, 08:45 AM
AVoyvoda
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazing... Would you know what it weighs (curb weight) incl full fuel and fluids but w/o driver?
Old 09-01-2006, 04:53 PM
drbf
Pro

Beautiful car......... Enjoy
Old 09-01-2006, 08:16 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

what are the buttons on the steering wheel for?
Old 09-01-2006, 08:24 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Originally Posted by dark knight
what are the buttons on the steering wheel for?
NOS!!!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:58 PM
T A D
AutoX

Amazing car and great color ! I was riding in Ruf R GT2 - stunning experience ! We menaged to do 203 mph !

Can you post full list of mods that were made ?

Reg
Tad
Old 09-01-2006, 10:04 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by T A D
Amazing car and great color ! I was riding in Ruf R GT2 - stunning experience ! We menaged to do 203 mph !

Can you post full list of mods that were made ?

Reg
Tad
Tad,

I believe this is a Ruf-built, Ruf-vin RT-12, i.e. no mods.

However, it'd be fun to see the spec. sheet: performance specs, brakes, wheels, seats, cooling system, exhaust, seats etc.

CP
Old 09-02-2006, 07:51 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by CP
Tad,

I believe this is a Ruf-built, Ruf-vin RT-12, i.e. no mods.

However, it'd be fun to see the spec. sheet: performance specs, brakes, wheels, seats, cooling system, exhaust, seats etc.

CP
yup, Ruf VIN car, so technically speaking, its not modded. Of course, its still basd on a 911, so from a common-sense point of view, i guess most of the world would consider the car a modified Porsche.

As for specs and performance... here goes:

3.8 liter engine, rated at 650HP
(engine mods include Ruf pistons, rods, crankshaft, gas flowed heads, turbos, intercoolers, etc).

uprated clutch, but standard gear ratios on the tranny. Ruf shortshift kit. AWD option.

380mm brakes, 6 piston up front, 4-piston back (with 350mm rotors). non-PCCB.

Ohlins suspension with remote reservoirs, separate adjustments for bound and rebound. there's a button (located in the globe box) that allows front and rear of car to be hydraulically raised by 50mm, because there's tons of bad roads and very steep inclines where I live...

Carbon fiber doors and engine cover. carbon fiber fixed rear wing

interior has integrated roll cage (alcantara covered), GT3 seats with "pepita" cloth inserts, otherwise everything else is leather, or exposed white surfaces.

OZ superlegera 3 wheels with Continental VMAX tires (rated to 360kmh), 325/25/19 at rear.

Ruf sports exhaust

oh... and the buttons on the steering wheel? those are for the horn

Performance specs... i haven't done any instrumented tests myself, and don't intend to dragrace the car (being more of a circuit guy myself,)... but here are the Road & Track numbers, based on GPS instrumented test:

0-60mph in 3.3 secs
0-100mph in 9.7 secs
quarter mile in 11 secs

Ruf told me that they GPS tested an RT12 to vmax of 363kmh, or about 226mph. and no, i won't be attempting to verify that claim with my car

what was most surprising to me about the car was how EASY it drives. i have a 100% stock (except for short shift and Porsche aero kit) 996 Turbo, and the RT12 manages to be a lot easier to drive, more comfortable, yet handles so much better. never mind the outright speed. obviously its a lot faster.

clutch take-up is incredibly light, you can pull away from a stoplight by slipping her into first and just letting out the clutch, no throttle whatsoever, there's none of that nasty and clumsy body roll and wallowing that i get with the 996, and the ride is supple and very controlled. the only thing that detracts from the luxurious feel is the exhaust. its definitely on the loud side, compared with the standard 996 turbo exhaust. not that i'm really complaining... the Ruf sounds a lot nicer under acceleration.

haven't driven her much yet, but will have more impressions later this month when she'll be coming with me to the Nordschleife...
Old 09-02-2006, 10:22 AM
CP
Race Director

Thanks for the details. This is a superb and exquisite list. I need a 'drooling' smilie here, REAL bad.

I was thinking about the gear ratio, just wondering if the OEM 6th has enough RPMs to get you to 226 MPH. I know the HP will not be an issue, but RPM, Hmmm.... I know Ruf changed the top gear ratio of my BTR to get it over 200 MPH. But with (only) 426 HP, mine topped out at 196 MPH (per the PO, I have never taken the car above 95 MPH, yeah right!).

I agree that the Ruf cars are very easy to drive. Compared to other manual super-cars (Ferrari, Lambo, even the CGT), the Ruf has incredible clutch and road manners. While you did not list it, I'm almost sure your RT-12 would have either a light or medium weight flywheel. Even with that, most others can drive my Ruf without stalling it or causing jerkiness in the low gears. It's truely an amazing piece of engineering.

Another thing I noticed (mine at least) is how comfortably and plush it rides at high speed. I had an E 39 M5, and in 6th, crusing down the freeway, the Ruf rides as refined as my M5. Quite a pleasant surprise.

About the exhaust note, Ruf installs their own high-flow plenum and exhaust. For non-U.S. cars, they may well use 100 cell CATs standard, as their software is written with that in mind. And it results in an amazing deep rumble. Not loud and attention grabbing ala Fabspeed or Tubi. Just a very deep burbly rumble. I just love that.

You have an incredible car, talks the talk, and walks the walk as well. I'm green with envy. Please enjoy in great health. Congratulations again.

CP

Last edited by CP; 09-03-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2006, 04:32 PM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by CP
Thanks for the details. This is a superb and exquisite list. I need a 'drooling' smilie here, REAL bad.

I was thinking about the gear ratio, just wondering if the OEM 6th has enough RPMs to get you to 226 MPH. I know the HP will not be an issue, but RPM, Hmmm.... I know Ruf changed the top gear ratio of my BTR to get it over 200 MPH. But with (only) 426 HP, mine topped out at 196 MPH (per the PO, I have never taken the car above 95 MPH, yeah right!).

I agree that the Ruf cars are very easy to drive. Compared to other manual super-cars (Ferrari, Lambo, even the CGT), the Ruf has incredible clutch and road manners. While you did not list it, I'm almost sure your RT-12 would have either a light or medium weight flywheel. Even with that, most others can drive my Ruf without stalling it or casuing jerkiness in the low gears. It's truely an amazing piece of engineering.

Another thing I noticed (mine at least) is how comfortably and plush it rides at high speed. I had an E 39 M5, and in 6th, crusing down the freeway, the Ruf rides as refined as my M5. Quite a pleasant surprise.

About the exhaust note, Ruf installs their own high-flow plenum and exhaust. For non-U.S. cars, they may well use 100 cell CATs standard, as their software is written with that in mind. And it results in an amazing deep rumble. Not loud and attention grabbing ala Fabspeed or Tubi. Just a very deep burbly rumble. I just love that.

You have an incredible car, talks the talk, and walks the walk as well. I'm green with envy. Please enjoy in great health. Congratulations again.

CP
thanks for the kind words. you're right, i believe our car has a lightweight flywheel. it sure feels that way, as the revs rise and fall really quickly, almost like a nice normally aspirated race car. and you're also right, that the car has 100 cell CATs. the deep rumble is there, though there's a spot between around 2k and 3k RPM's where there's a bit of annoying droning. however this is a tiny niggle, and i'm really not complaining. it does sound amazing when pressing on.

i'll post more pics at the end of the month once i've had the chance to take the car to the 'Ring. i'll be driving the RT12 back-to-back with a new GT3 then, and i'm quite keen to see how the cars are different and similar.

cheers!
Old 09-02-2006, 07:43 PM
CP
Race Director

Waiting for the new pics with bated breath.

CP
Old 09-03-2006, 03:36 PM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Originally Posted by hesperus
yup, Ruf VIN car, so technically speaking, its not modded. Of course, its still basd on a 911, so from a common-sense point of view, i guess most of the world would consider the car a modified Porsche.

As for specs and performance... here goes:

3.8 liter engine, rated at 650HP
(engine mods include Ruf pistons, rods, crankshaft, gas flowed heads, turbos, intercoolers, etc).

uprated clutch, but standard gear ratios on the tranny. Ruf shortshift kit. AWD option.

380mm brakes, 6 piston up front, 4-piston back (with 350mm rotors). non-PCCB.

Ohlins suspension with remote reservoirs, separate adjustments for bound and rebound. there's a button (located in the globe box) that allows front and rear of car to be hydraulically raised by 50mm, because there's tons of bad roads and very steep inclines where I live...

Carbon fiber doors and engine cover. carbon fiber fixed rear wing

interior has integrated roll cage (alcantara covered), GT3 seats with "pepita" cloth inserts, otherwise everything else is leather, or exposed white surfaces.

OZ superlegera 3 wheels with Continental VMAX tires (rated to 360kmh), 325/25/19 at rear.

Ruf sports exhaust

oh... and the buttons on the steering wheel? those are for the horn

Performance specs... i haven't done any instrumented tests myself, and don't intend to dragrace the car (being more of a circuit guy myself,)... but here are the Road & Track numbers, based on GPS instrumented test:

0-60mph in 3.3 secs
0-100mph in 9.7 secs
quarter mile in 11 secs

Ruf told me that they GPS tested an RT12 to vmax of 363kmh, or about 226mph. and no, i won't be attempting to verify that claim with my car

what was most surprising to me about the car was how EASY it drives. i have a 100% stock (except for short shift and Porsche aero kit) 996 Turbo, and the RT12 manages to be a lot easier to drive, more comfortable, yet handles so much better. never mind the outright speed. obviously its a lot faster.

clutch take-up is incredibly light, you can pull away from a stoplight by slipping her into first and just letting out the clutch, no throttle whatsoever, there's none of that nasty and clumsy body roll and wallowing that i get with the 996, and the ride is supple and very controlled. the only thing that detracts from the luxurious feel is the exhaust. its definitely on the loud side, compared with the standard 996 turbo exhaust. not that i'm really complaining... the Ruf sounds a lot nicer under acceleration.

haven't driven her much yet, but will have more impressions later this month when she'll be coming with me to the Nordschleife...

hesperus,

just a few minor corrections:

R&T road test with vbox gear, road tyres and 2wd

0-60mph in 3.2 secs
0-100mph in 6.6 secs
0-125mph in 9.7 secs
0-145mph in 13.75 secs

brakes (i assume you went for standard) are 8 piston front/6piston rear

Best regards
Leon
Old 09-03-2006, 03:43 PM
leonsamonas
Instructor

Originally Posted by CP

I agree that the Ruf cars are very easy to drive. Compared to other manual super-cars (Ferrari, Lambo, even the CGT), the Ruf has incredible clutch and road manners. While you did not list it, I'm almost sure your RT-12 would have either a light or medium weight flywheel. Even with that, most others can drive my Ruf without stalling it or casuing jerkiness in the low gears. It's truely an amazing piece of engineering.

CP
CP,

You're right standard gearing is good for 217 mph(as per ruf) 219 tested by R&T in same test as previous figures I posted. For the 226 you need the taller ratio 6th.

Best regards
Leon

Quick Reply: Got my RT12