Sponsored by:

Is a breakin necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 06:04 AM
Vincy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is a breakin necessary?

My first Porsche a 997 TT Tip is on the assembly line for fall delivery. It will be difficult not to go WOT as soon as I get it. Is a breakin necessary? Is there evidence and experience that supports the need for a breakin? Or is this legend? Thanks, I'll try to follow your advice.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:26 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

The important break-in factor is the least appreciated, namely slowing down in gear to seat the rings. This impacts oil usage in our flat 6 engines.
The rest is an histroric belief that parts need to get to know each other to smooth out. Since we absolutely don't do this with race engines (those get warmed on the dyno, then run full out with oil temp being the guiding factor), it's hard to believe that is essential. Much is a holdover from the days our cars had "break-in oil", and we wanted an oil change to clear all the metal filings and provide adequate viscosity before using the rev range.
Beware that Lotus is now voiding warranty coverage if the first service reveals the rev limits have been exceeded during the first 800 miles.
Finally, everybody does follow break-in limits, most likely out of fear. Clearly, cars that are driven for test purposes at the dealership have the rev limits violated from day one. Everybody nails the throttle in first gear.
What isn't necessary is babying the throttle. I'd use full throttle as often as possible in the upper gears. Then try to back off to let negative pressure suck the rings to the cylinder walls. AS
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Philip in AL
Pro

There must be something to the breakin. I myself, have noticed a gain in Hp after putting a few thousand miles on a Porsche.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:59 PM
Dave 86 930 Fl
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I think Porsche uses the break-in period to allow new owners to become safely accustomed to their ride ... just a thought.
Old 08-08-2006, 12:18 AM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

There's an old axiom, "If you want it to be fast, break it in hard". The implication is you get a looser engine due to rubbing off all the abrasive bits. Most engines today get stronger as they age. Look at the long term tests in the mags. Typically the 0-60 times drop a few tenths when tested 40,000 miles later.
I think the question is, "could you have gotten there earlier simply by using the rev range from day one?" Personally, I think so. Otherwise, Porsche would need to void the warranty of cars used for demo rides at dealerships. Do you think the cars at PDE get a full break-in?
Anyway, I followed the factory rec for my 02ttX50, though I used the throttle hard up to the limit. No problems at 34,000 miles, and oil use is down to a quart every 5,000 miles(Including about 100 track miles). AS
Old 08-08-2006, 02:22 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

i agree with Dave 86 100% .....
Old 08-08-2006, 02:52 PM
gweedo911
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

I was told by a Porsche Tech, that all engines are factory tested to rev limiter prior to delivery. No need to break-in. No sure how much truth there is in that statement...
I drove 2k miles under 4000 rpm then pedal to metal. I think I hit 6500 to 7000 rpm couple of times a day......I'm loving it!
Old 08-08-2006, 05:59 PM
Vincy
Advanced

Default Thanks

Thanks for the answers, and I like tha answers. I can use the car to its limits as soon as I get it. This will be fun.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

AS has a good point about seating the rings. A question, though. Race engines may be put to heavy duty right away as AS notes, but are race engines expected to last as long as we want out 997TT engines to last? I assume that a well used racing motor will get torn down on a regular basis to address issues of wear under heavy duty, but most street cars hopefully won't.

This whole issue is intriguing, especially in light of the way motors are built now compared to 2 or 3 decades ago. Any other input from "the pros" ?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:56 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Proper breakin must be done in the first 100 -200 miles and below is the proper procedure:

1. Always bring engine to FULL operating temperature before high revs.
2. Drive the car easy for the first 10 miles or so, varying the rpm's from 2,000 - 5,000.
3. Then, start bringing the engine up to maximum rpm's and letting the engine bring the revs back down by coasting in gear.
4. Repeat several times in order to create maximum heat in the cylinders.
5. Drive around at lower RPM's for several more miles, remembering to vary the speed of the engine every couple of miles.
6. Repeat number 3, 4 and 5.
7. Park car and let the engine cool down overnight.
8. Repeat all the above 2 more times.

Your engine is now fully broken in correctly and can be driven hard from here on.

The above procedure will also benefit engines that were not broken in properly. As with all engines, it is necessary to periodically drive the car to redline and engine brake back to stop to insure properly maintaining ring to cylinder wall fit.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:15 AM
Jay Wellwood
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 266 Likes on 153 Posts

Thanks for the detailed info on the proper break-in procedure.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:33 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by gweedo911
I was told by a Porsche Tech, that all engines are factory tested to rev limiter prior to delivery.
Partially correct.
If you go to Zuffenhausen, you will see that as soon as the engine is assembled, it is filled with fluids and rolled into one of the dyno cells (IIRC, they added 3-4 more for increased capacity).
Once 'warmed up', the engine is run into the rev limiter, kept there, brought back down to idle, run at intermediate speed, back to idle, back into the rev limiter, etc. for about 10 minutes.
If there the engine is below 2% of HP specs and/or it has a leak, vibration or any other anomoly, it is brought back and torn down, rebuilt and the procedure repeats itself.
Fascinating to watch.

BTW, the procedure outlined by 1999Porsche911 is very similar to the procedure used to break in new (or winter refreshed/rebuilt) karting motors.
Old 08-22-2006, 07:43 PM
JJG
Instructor

I always thought this interesting -

Break-in Secrets
Old 08-26-2006, 08:35 PM
BobbyC
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is break-in necessary?

This subject has been beaten to death in past debates and there are many who fall on either side of the argument. In your case...let's see, first Porsche, 997 TT, and urge to go WOT right from the showroom floor. Makes a lot o sense

If one didn't know any better, WTF does one have to lose by following the recommended break-in procedure?

Quick Reply: Is a breakin necessary?