Sponsored by:

Miles=Smiles

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 01:07 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Miles=Smiles

Last night we decided to take the 997TT into Los Angeles for dinner, about 100 miles round trip. Only had 380 miles on the car, so this was a good drive for us.

Seems the more I drive this car, the better I like it. I know that there have been a host of threads discussing the shortcomings of the car, but I am hard pressed to find any. Those of you waiting for your car, please stay the course and take delivery, you will not be disappointed!

It's funny how many people come up to the car on the freeway and try to lure you into racing them - into the bumper ahead of you, that is! When 4200 RPM is the suggested maximum until 2000 miles, it can be a little frustrating, although I cheat every once in awhile, it is hard to hurt this car.

If it is considered a GT by some, so be it, I'll take it. The car is very comfortable to drive. But there is a monster of a car underneath its GT skin.

How about hearing from some other owners on their experience so far?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:46 PM
stearnsn
Intermediate

I just crossed the 2000 mile mark yesterday. I have been having fun between 3000-4200 rpm, especially with the "sport" button engaged but yesterday at 1956 miles I ran it to 6000 rpms (in third) for the first time on an on-ramp. The "kick" is still at around 3500 but it just does not stop pulling...like a freight train. The rest of the 100 mile trip was on the freeway, I cannot wait to get it out on the back roads.

I still would like more exhause noise (mostly tires & air intake now) and stiffer suspension. It is very easy to drive this car quickly and it maintains its composure beautifully in the turns. I have several very anoying rattles that the dealer is chasing down (rear seat latches and e-brake button). I am also tired of washing it already, probably my first and last black car. The winter is going to be hell... My Polar Silver 993 looked pretty decent even when pretty dirty, this car looks dirty the day after a wash in the summer.

Overall a fun GT, my Lotus Elise is a sports car, this is a GT! I have taken two long trips with wife, 2 yr old son and the lugage that goes with them and it has performed well. Couldn't do that with my sports car.
Old 08-06-2006, 08:30 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remember, the on board computer monitors and logs the rpm, gear, speed and other metrics. If you over rev too many times, you may have a cause for a voided warranty if something arises down the line (unrelated). I have a 2005 Turbo S cab with 1600 miles. Had it since November or 2005. I hit 5100 rpm once and the power was awesome. By the time I get to 2000 miles the 2008 997 Turbo S will be out. 3.8 liter, 550hp and f1 type transmission with paddle shifters.

Attached Images  
Old 08-06-2006, 09:23 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by robertp
Remember, the on board computer monitors and logs the rpm, gear, speed and other metrics. If you over rev too many times, you may have a cause for a voided warranty if something arises down the line (unrelated).
Warranty denials are almost always based on the presence of one or more type 2 over revs; the type 1 over rev you described should not be an issue, unless there were multiple events recorded over a very short time frame (as in a track event).

Originally Posted by robertp
By the time I get to 2000 miles the 2008 997 Turbo S will be out. 3.8 liter, 550hp and f1 type transmission with paddle shifters.
Perhaps, but there are still reliability issues with the DSG/PDK at high hp (500+) levels, hence the delay to date.

The Ferrari/Maserati single dry clutch CambioCorse (w/ F1 paddle style shifters) has learned to deal with these issues, albeit with a free clutch replacement under warranty almost always.
I drove one of these for a day at Road Atlanta (hard to believe I was paid to do it) and was very impressed.
Old 08-06-2006, 09:35 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

For the rattle, check the ashtray! There is a little hole/tube thingy towards the front of the tray (I don't smoke cigarettes so I am guessing it smashes out your butts) and it will rattle. You can actually reproduce the rattle by moving it around from underneath with your finger.

Anyone else find this one?
Old 08-06-2006, 09:38 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

On the RPM thing, I think an occasionally read of of 4200 RPM's isn't going to void the warranty or hurt the car. Like the other poster said, constant high revs and redlining abuse may be cause for a warranty issue. The factory knows that you can "accidentally" go over 4200 RPM's with great ease...
Old 08-06-2006, 10:33 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you happen to be on the 110 north from Torrance at around 5pm??
Old 08-06-2006, 11:24 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Nope, wasn't me. I was riding my BMW R1200GS in from Santa Paula through Balcom Canyon with my son who was on a KLR650. Sorry we missed you!
Old 08-07-2006, 05:40 AM
franki68
Track Day

what is the run schedule ? i was told 800 miles by my dealer.He says that the engines are run in at porsche?
Old 08-07-2006, 11:37 AM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Must have been another proud owner of the 997TT. Looks awsome in person....Enjoy!!!
Old 08-07-2006, 11:49 AM
stearnsn
Intermediate

The dealer and the owner's manual state that 2000 miles is the break-in period. They don't however advise an oil change after break-in. Since there are metal parts "breaking in" I think I will change the oil. Any thoughts on this?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:39 PM
AeroGT3RedWing
Racer

Frequent oil changes are a very, very good idea during break in.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:51 PM
robertp
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In a dry sump system? The oil returns the shavings back to the sump where it floats to the bottom. Filters keep it from returning into the pump system.
Old 08-07-2006, 09:50 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I think the first oil change on the 997TT according to the owner's manual is 20,000 miles. That seems like an awfully long time to wait for an oil change. Wonder if I need to re-read that part of the manual, I must have missed something here.
Old 08-30-2006, 02:03 AM
SpeedStateG35C
Advanced

mastiffdog: Your car is the most beautiful thing I have seen in ages. I am a fan of white (currently drive a G35 Coupe in Ivory Pearl and previous car was a Integra Type R in Championship White) but with the P-Cars there is something about Grey that really does it for me (mind you I would take any colour turbo if the opportunity presented itself LOL)

Now Back on topic, I think that automotive catagories have lost their meaning such as Coupes with four doors (coupe = couple = 2 is the way it was), sports cars are argued as being 2 seater coupes with no roofs (so does that mean all the great makes are not making sports cars *confused*) and a GT was a Grand Tourer where performance was secondary to comfort , you get the idea. But who really defines these catagories? Journalist? How are they so sure they are right?

A 911, no matter what trim, what level of options, transmission or whatever is a performance machine designed for spirited driving. Branding it as being part of a catagory doesnt change that.

Enjoy your wonderful machine, hope to be joining you guys next year in a Naturally Aspirated beast.

Quick Reply: Miles=Smiles