Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997TT Purchasing/Delivery Speculation (beat this horse to death!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 11:36 AM
jason1st
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997TT Purchasing/Delivery Speculation (beat this horse to death!!)

The following is information I have obtained from just reading between the lines. I am on the list for the 997TT. Have not gotten my phone call yet. I am estimated at a November/December delivery.

I have read the other threads regarding this topic.

I have seen 5 new 997TT's in my neighborhood in the past 10 days. There are 10 on Ebay. Yes, I know that they may not be real cars and they may not exist. But I've still seen 5 in my neighborhood in the last 10 days. That's a fact! I've only ever seen 2 F430's in the past year.

Most resale TT's are asking $10K over sticker from what I understand. That's only a 7%-8% premium. Not much on a $130-140K car.

That being said. If I am waiting till December to get mine, would I be better off not ordering one and see what happens by December or even before then? Seems to me that worse case scenario would be I still buy one for sticker.

I asked my dealer this question yesterday and he said "Dude, you don't understand, you can't get one, they're all sold" I'm thinking, "Um yea, I can buy one today for a 7%-8% premium if I really want to pay the money".

Feel free to express contrary opinions. This is just my opinion from reading between the lines.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:12 PM
Nick
Rennlist Member

Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts

If the 996TT is any indication, you will be better off waiting. When the 996TT came out they were getting premiums over MSRP in amounts of $30-40000. After 6 months or so the market had crashed and TT's were as ubiquitous as regular 911's in some parts of the country.

The 997TT is a newer version of the 996TT and does not have the attraction of the original 996. I suspect prices will fall after the intial demand of the hard core enthusiast is met which will be soon. These car will be plentiful and dealers will deal on them.
Old 07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
jason1st
Advanced

Thanks, I agree. I'm gonna sit, watch and wait.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:14 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

If you are unable to secure a car at MSRP now, that meets your specifications, then wait until your ordered car arrives. Nothing else is relevant, i.e. how many are in your neighborhood, how many are on Ebay, how many F430's you have seen, etc.

Again, if its truly a 997TT you want, and a car you like is available at MSRP or a price you personally feel comfortable paying, then go buy it and simply enjoy it now.

There is no value in worrying about anything else, life is too short.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
kush07
Racer

If you want the car now, pay the premium. If you can wait, you'll get it at list. If you really wait, you'll get it under list. If you really, really wait, there will be a new model, and you can start the whole process again.

To me, bottom line is this: it's a car. It's a depreciating asset. It's not an investment. I'm not one to throw money away, but it's just a big toy. If you can afford it and want it, get it (whenever you want). All the mental gymnastics and financial analysis about a toy is a waste of time.
Old 07-28-2006, 03:33 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by kush07
If you want the car now, pay the premium. If you can wait, you'll get it at list. If you really wait, you'll get it under list. If you really, really wait, there will be a new model, and you can start the whole process again.

To me, bottom line is this: it's a car. It's a depreciating asset. It's not an investment. I'm not one to throw money away, but it's just a big toy. If you can afford it and want it, get it (whenever you want). All the mental gymnastics and financial analysis about a toy is a waste of time.
New guy, sage advice.
Old 07-28-2006, 05:00 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Jason,

I did not have a car pre-ordered and I found one at MSRP. It didn't have every option I wanted but I pulled the trigger and take delivery of it in two weeks.
Get on the phone.. Start making calls. You might luck into one like I did.

B
Old 07-28-2006, 05:00 PM
VinnyC
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your patient and wait 6 - 8 months - you'll save big $$$ - otherwise pay the premium.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:05 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jason,

Here's my .02 for what it's worth. I live in suburban Philadelphia, half way to Wilmington, DE. I have yet to see a new Turbo on the street, even though there are three dealers within a 17 mile radius. Since you've seen five, you must live in SoCal . Mine should be here in 2 mos. or less.

Since we're talking a lot of money, I think you might want to wait so you can get exactly what you want, since you can order the car however you want. If you find exactly the car you want sooner, and you're willing to pay the premium, well, that's your decision. Basically, you need to ask: is the premium worth eliminating the wait?

These cars are not good financial investments, as they certainly depreciate. The the real investment is in enjoyment, not finances. There's no right or wrong. Just be comfortable with whatever decision you make.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:51 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

I live in Socal and haven't seen any on the road, at least not yet. I have 4 dealers (Rusnak Westlake, Auto Gallery, Woodland Hills, Rusnak Pasadena and Porsche of Santa Barbara) within a 50 mile radius of the house. Other than Amir's car (which I have not seen on the road) none have surfaced yet, but its only a matter of time.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:10 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I would venture to guess that anyone who wants a 997TT, anytime while they are still in production, will be able to get one. Dealer stock or custom ordered thru the Exclusive programme. There is NO indication that production numbers will be limited (that is pretty much the venue of GT2's....VERY few produced compared to the TT)

PAG will produce as many 997TT's as they did 996TT's; some would argue overproduce, at least in comparison to 993TT/993TT S models.

The 997TT will likely have the same depreciation, if not more, than the 996TT....if you worry about such things.

If you have to have one, pay over MSRP now.
If you can wait, order what you want and negotiate a price.

In the end, as long as you're happy, then
Old 07-28-2006, 08:36 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,165 Likes on 574 Posts

Must be a nice neighborhood. Is it part of the deed restrictions to drive a Porsche?
Old 07-28-2006, 08:51 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by eclou
Must be a nice neighborhood. Is it part of the deed restrictions to drive a Porsche?
I think you meant the HOA or the CC&R's? Bobby Dooley, the President of our HOA, (Western States Homeowner's Association) drives a C2S.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:43 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My dealer has already delivered 5. The last two have been slush boxes.

Don't worry, there's a lot more on the way...
Old 07-28-2006, 11:55 PM
B-Line
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by allegretto
Don't worry, there's a lot more on the way...
Agreed.. Especially here in LA..

Quick Reply: 997TT Purchasing/Delivery Speculation (beat this horse to death!!)