Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Son's ideas to Modify the Turbo ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 06:41 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Son's ideas to Modify the Turbo ...

Talk about being bored on a Saturday! The Montecristo trio...

Okay, so my two boys (21 and 20) are sitting around smoking cigars and they're telling me to do the following mods to the new 997TT:

1. Tint Windows
2. Clear front side reflectors to replace amber
3. Smoke rear tailights

I tell them this is "pimping the car" and refuse to perpetuate the conversation any further. Some panel of experts I have here.

Comments welcome.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:59 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 426 Likes on 221 Posts

I'm not into the smoked tail light and window tinting thing.
As for the clear side markers, I do think they look better than the ambers on some colors,...including the grays. It's like a $20-30 'mod' sp if you change your mind, there' no harm done.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:38 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would do all the windows except the windshield, but only 50% tint. Photos of tint are not a good way to gauge it, but if you look at an example @ 50% tint in person at a tint shop you'll probably agree it falls below the 'pimp' threshold, and some tint would be good in Cali to reduce interior bake.

Definitely install the clear side markers, like Coochas said- it's $30. + instantly reversible- that one is a no-brainer. Pass on the smoked taillights. Hey, good quote there in your sig, mastiff-- I'm embarassed to admit I borrowed the 'regrets have no future' yakking about something today w/ the wife
Old 06-24-2006, 07:41 PM
IcemanG17
Race Director

Received 75 Likes on 58 Posts

The best part is its your 997TT.......tinting the windows and maybe a clear bra is always a good idea.....but technically the clear lenses and smoked lenses are illegal in CA & (in theory) could get you a fix it ticket.
Old 06-24-2006, 07:45 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by stan523
I would do all the windows except the windshield, but only 50% tint. Photos of tint are not a good way to gauge it, but if you look at an example @ 50% tint in person at a tint shop you'll probably agree it falls below the 'pimp' threshold, and some tint would be good in Cali to reduce interior bake.

Definitely install the clear side markers, like Coochas said- it's $30. + instantly reversible- that one is a no-brainer. Pass on the smoked taillights. Hey, good quote there in your sig, mastiff-- I'm embarassed to admit I borrowed the 'regrets have no future' yakking about something today w/ the wife
Thanks for the kind words Stan. I heard those words "regrets have no future" when my father was in the hospital. My wife and I stayed by his side at the hospital until about midnight and then we went over to the all night deli to grab a quick bite to eat. At the next table, we heard an older man explaining to a young man that "regrets have no future". The next morning my father passed away.

I learned then that life is too short - go enjoy yourself, and if you can afford it, indulge and buy that new car! Enjoy!
Old 06-24-2006, 07:47 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes to the clear lenses, no no no no no to smoked tail lights.

Clear bra definitely, tint, is very subjective but the glass area of the 997 is so small already, I don't mind not having tint on mine. The A/C can keep up just fine.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:01 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,224 Likes on 599 Posts

Clear the sides, smoke the front indicators
Old 06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
cableguy
Racer

Clear side markers a must. My dealer is swaping out mine. Dodn't even have to ask. Don't like teh smoked lenses but a little tint is not bad. you can keep it classy without getting that pimp look. I would do a TUBI exhaust when it becomes available
Old 06-24-2006, 09:02 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You're a cool dad, and the boys have good ideas. Go easy on the taillight tinting, don't wanna get a fix-it ticket......some RUF wheels would look nice too.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:19 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
You're a cool dad, and the boys have good ideas. Go easy on the taillight tinting, don't wanna get a fix-it ticket......some RUF wheels would look nice too.
Thanks, these are good kids, both in the University getting good grades. I am their worst influence! I am very fortunate.

I'd never touch the tailights, but I will replace the amber side markers to clear for sure. I doubt that I'll tint the window. In California, it's a bad idea to tempt the hand of fate when it comes to law enforcement. The place is revenue hungry and will fine you for looking at them wrong.

Remember, this is KARL-ifornia.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mastiff,

If you go with their suggestions, you'll have to do your hair like the son on the right

Remember, it's your car, so do what you think YOU'LL like. My son is just learning to drive (Freestar and Explorer for him, no seat time in the 930 yet) and has no real interest in cars, but he goes way overboard building his guitars! Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Anxious to see your pics, as I ordered the same color combo.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:12 PM
yemenmocha
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mastiff,

The side markers are really the norm now. Whenever people (including myself) see one with the egg yolk ones instead it's wondered what on earth the owner is thinking!

Smoked tails no way.

Tint is very good for appearance, comfort, and keeping your interior lasting longer. Yes the tint will help the leather. If you prefer less darkness you might consider the Huber Optik ceramic film instead of metallic film. It will cost more, but you'll get less darkness on the windshield but still have protection. Metallic has more reflectivity, which I like, but it has more of the mean "gangsta" appearance. It also gives you more privacy. Whatever you want!

Aaron

PS we'll just assume those are dominican cristos too!

Last edited by yemenmocha; 06-25-2006 at 12:12 AM.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

PS we'll just assume those are dominican cristos too!
Not!
Old 06-25-2006, 06:33 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Ken89911T
Mastiff,

If you go with their suggestions, you'll have to do your hair like the son on the right

Remember, it's your car, so do what you think YOU'LL like. My son is just learning to drive (Freestar and Explorer for him, no seat time in the 930 yet) and has no real interest in cars, but he goes way overboard building his guitars! Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Anxious to see your pics, as I ordered the same color combo.
So true, I'm 19, and I drive some old Ford POS - but I go nuts with my mountain bikes.
I say when the LED taillights come out (like they were SUPPOSED to on the 997 Turbo) go for it - but for now, maybe a light tint (like one might get from the factory o another car) and of course, clear side markers, might work.
Old 06-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Brian 944
Instructor

****... I was reading the title and thought that you were going to "Modify The Turbo" not "Modify The Turbo Car"

I was all like, "I hope he isn't using a Dremel on the Turbine"

Quick Reply: My Son's ideas to Modify the Turbo ...