Sponsored by:

Help Selecting Options for 997 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 09:46 PM
jlakowicz
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Selecting Options for 997 Turbo

We are new to the Porsche world, coming over from the Vet world. I put a deposit on a 977 turbo and the dealer called to come in next week, select options, and place the build order.

It looks like on a Porsche everything is an option. I would appreciate your suggestions for options. We want this as a year-round car as our Vet doesn't move on snow. I use the word "we" because my wife is also a gearhead and drives a Hemi and kills my vet off the line due to my wheel spin. I decided on most of the options but don't understand some of them.

1. On the brochure option list there is an s=standard, o=option and a w=??. What does the "w" mean?

2, What is the limited slip differential? Doesn't the 777 come with posi traction. I like to drive hard. Should I get this?

3. What is delete model designation? Its a w. Option 498.

4. What is the extended navigation system? Brochure says it works where the CD doesn't by GPS. Doesn't the 997 have a GPS with the standard navigation?

5. What are the 2 phone options? 666 and 668.Does the 997 have its own phone like the Caddy OnStar system?

6. There are numerous interior leather options. Is there a place where you can see pictures of these?

This is our first Porsche and we want to get it right, and we are not familiar with them. Thanks for your help. Best wishes, Joe and Mary.
Old 06-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Ken89911T
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Joe,

Welcome to the world of Porsche.

1. In the brochure, "w" refers to a no-cost option. Your choice to have it or not, without additional cost.
2. The LSD is a mechanical locking rear diff, unfortunately not a standard item. I'm sure you know how the LSD works. I think it would be good to have if you plan on trying to get the most out of your new car.
3. Delete model designation means to leave OFF the "turbo" script badge that is otherwise located on the rear deck lid, under the wing.
4. Extended Nav is for guidance when in areas that are not currently digitized on the pesent GPS mapping program (i.e. the middle of nowhere). Using compass and mileage, it can help backtrack once you go into areas where the GPS map doesn't recognize. I'm not sure it's necessary. I'm also not sure how good the standard Nav system is. We'll all find out eventually.
5. The 997 has no standard phone. Those options I don't know about. Sorry.
6. Leather options are detailed with illustration in the 997 order guide, which you can download from various sources. If you can't find it, PM me and I will try to help.

Enjoy building your new car!!
Old 06-16-2006, 10:11 PM
mastiffdog
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to help here, but I am far from an expert, so here goes:

1. Not sure
2. There is the "Locking Differential" option, but I will let someone else who has more knowledge explain what it does, I think I know, but I don't want to speculate.
3. That's ordering the car without the badging "Turbo" on the rear lid.
4. I got it on mine, but who knows why , if I remember what I read correctly it will work the GPS with coordinates and offer a deeper data base of locations.
5. The PCM Phone option (I think) lets you use your sim card in the car and have hands free through the Porsche Communication System (PCS). The hand set appears to be hard wired inside the car on the right side of the center console. My wife and I didn't like the looks of it, so we didn't get that option, but we did get the PCM Phone option.
6. Yes! Go to the Porsche USA website and select "Build a Car". If your computer is powerful enough, load the Shock Wave software so you can build your car in 3D. It's cool! It works very well and you can configure the car almost exactly as it will appear. It will even show you the handset location for the phone. You can even save the configuration. Each trim has it's own set of packages. There is: Leather, Carbon Fiber, Aluminum, Dark Wood and a lighter Wood. Each group use the material in the same places. Just start working with the "Configurator" and you'll get the idea.

Also, check with your dealer for the Turbo Booklet, alot of these items are explained in greater detail.

Have fun!

Quick Reply: Help Selecting Options for 997 Turbo