Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

compare 997 turbo, Z06, and Ford GT (track)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 05:07 AM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default compare 997 turbo, Z06, and Ford GT (track)

Wanted to get you guys opinion on this.

Ford GT

Im my opinion the Ford GT is fugly but as a track car i think the supercharger and mid engine would give it the advantage over the Z06. However it has a weight disadvantage being the heaviest of all three cars. Havent driven one so I dont have all that much info on how it would handle.

Corvette Z06

Tons of power but not really refined as a track car. N/A cars are always my favorite on the track as I havent driven anything but on a track. With the blazing times reported and the ring it seems this car would be really tough to beat in the hands of a capable driver. I think this has its good and bad points. Good is that in an n/a car if your not perfectly straight when you come out and sometimes even if you are the powerband is available immediately and you get to slipping and sliding all over. (I almost put my dinan e39 m5 in the wall). . But if you use it wisely you wont really use all the power initially (depending on the car).

997 Turbo

I drove a 89 turbo ( i think) on road atlanta and it was a blast. I need more seat time in a turbo car on the track because it took me a few laps to get used to the lag coming out of the turns. the turbo car makes you focus more on getting good speed in and out of turns to keep you close to where the boost kicksin without having to downshift too far.
I think it takes more skill to master but once you do the porsche is the best of all three. and this is not even considering a GT3. It had the least power of all three but the refinement to make them sweat and even eat dust.

What do you guys think.
Old 05-17-2006, 10:17 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Automobile mag already did a test of the Z06 vs. the Ford GT. On the track they ran on, the GT was faster but only by 0.03 seconds. In my mind, they were the same on that track. If you consider that the z06 was wearing the crappy run flat tires, it's pretty impressive.

As for z06 vs 997 Turbo, who knows? It will be close imo.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:23 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which track and what magazine was that? I havent seen it? I hope the 911 beats the Z handily. Those guys are getting way to far ahead of themselves.
Old 05-17-2006, 09:05 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Unless it's wet, the ZO6 will be faster. This has been hashed over on the 996tt forum. AS
Old 06-01-2006, 07:16 PM
355Spider
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The TT hasn't really been a track car for a while. I think the GT3 vs Z06 is a better comparison. The Ford GT will be faster than all on most tracks I am sure. More power and mid engined is hard to beat and I have a Z06. Although I am drooling over the TT and the new GT3. I'll have to drive the TT first. I didn't like the 996 much so we'll see. The GT3 is up my alley but I love the power of my Z.

Quick Reply: compare 997 turbo, Z06, and Ford GT (track)