Sponsored by:

Negatives of buying a 997TT Tip?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:22 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

My wifey looks hot driving the Tip Turbo around

Everytime she goes out in the car I always wait by the garage to hear her start up the engine.

She thought I was such a good husband to say bye everytime, truth is I just want to make sure she doesn't bang it up in the driveway

After living with the Tip Turbo for 6 months now I don't think there is a downside, traffic is at all time worst and the lack of clutch pedal is a godsend.

Allegretto: I knew the Lotus was your pick and I was right :P How you like that car so far? I am thinking about pulling the trigger on one myself.
Old 03-29-2007, 11:06 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let you know; We hit the track this weekend for the ...maiden...voyage.

Got to drive it back from the artists who added some stripes and logos. Not street legal so I had to drive FAST for the 5 mi or so. Level II exhaust sounds much better than I expected. Crisp and ripping with just the right amount of retard backfire on the spin-down. You know you're in a racecar. Definately will want to keep the revs up on the track!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:28 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Very clever marketing by PAG to advertise the tip as slightly faster than a six speed 0-60 in order to sell a few cars while waiting for the pdk to be ready.
Once the pdk comes out the turbo tip will be the red headed stepchild. Who's going to fork up 4k for a tip when you can order the pdk for a few marks more?
Old 03-29-2007, 12:33 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
Very clever marketing by PAG to advertise the tip as slightly faster than a six speed 0-60 in order to sell a few cars while waiting for the pdk to be ready.
Once the pdk comes out the turbo tip will be the red headed stepchild. Who's going to fork up 4k for a tip when you can order the pdk for a few marks more?
I hear 'ya, but I am suspicious that first Gen PDK may be something to avoid.

Could be wrong, but it seems to be a pattern with all car makers.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Solo1111
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C4S Surgeon
I can't agree more Porsche is putting up a good gimmick to sell the tip. I only wish PDK would come out sooner rather than later. But for me, I just can't wait anymore... the TT is such a beautiful car...
Old 03-29-2007, 01:51 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Let me understand. You fellas are saying that Porsche is so packed away with Tiptronic parts that the few tips they sell as TT's are a desprate attempt to sell some off before PDK becomes a reality and they are stuck with this inventory or committment to suppliers?

Or is it something I'm not understanding?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:58 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Kind of, I think they just weren't ready with the pdk when the TT came out so they did the next best thing...a jazzed up tip that's 'faster' than a 6 speed. If the pdk had been ready, I doubt you would hear much about the tip/tip s. Remember, PAG is very atuned to what the competition is doing, esp with regard to this technology. They just weren't ready.jmo
Old 03-30-2007, 03:27 AM
Whoopsy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,244 Likes on 521 Posts

An interesting but crazy thought pops into my mind, now everyone talks about the pdk is gonna replace the tip version of the 911, I actually thought about it replacing the 6-speed instead. pdk is a manual transmission at heart and IF Porsche did perfected it, wouldn't it be natural to swap one manual transmission for another? I mean, with dual clutch it is gonna shift faster and smoother than a regular manual, computer clutch control means much less wear and abuse on clutches, no torque converter means the shifts will be just like a regular 6-speed and gear selection could still be up to the driver, like the regular 6-speed and not like a true automatic.

Crazy thought for sure and it sure will upsets all the 6-speed lovers but just some food for thought.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:41 AM
Solo1111
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Whoopsy
An interesting but crazy thought pops into my mind, now everyone talks about the pdk is gonna replace the tip version of the 911, I actually thought about it replacing the 6-speed instead. pdk is a manual transmission at heart and IF Porsche did perfected it, wouldn't it be natural to swap one manual transmission for another? I mean, with dual clutch it is gonna shift faster and smoother than a regular manual, computer clutch control means much less wear and abuse on clutches, no torque converter means the shifts will be just like a regular 6-speed and gear selection could still be up to the driver, like the regular 6-speed and not like a true automatic.

Crazy thought for sure and it sure will upsets all the 6-speed lovers but just some food for thought.
The new BMW M5 is a classic example. Everywhere in the world only offers the 7-speed SMG, whereas only America was given the 6-speed stick option. So I guess the perception is that, SMG, PDK, DSG, Tip belongs to the same (not really but nonetheless) category versus the stick.
Old 08-29-2007, 09:44 AM
jt993ttchicago
Advanced

They offer the 2 options b/c different drivers have different needs and desires. I dont think the argument should really b centered around performance b/c the real difference is simply driving experience
Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I can't understand buying a Porsche sports car and getting an automatic transmission unless you are handicapped. Part of the sports car experience is using your clutch foot. Autos just reduce the whole experience.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:50 PM
1AS
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Personally, I don't understand your post. F1 drivers don't use a clutch, and I haven't heard anybody complain about diluting the experience.
If you really want the whole experience, ask to disconnect your power steering, anti-lock brakes, and intermittant wipers.
Turbo engines match up very well with automatics, due to the need to drop down gears to catch the power band. The current 997tt tip does that extremely well. Wait until the first one you see leaves you cold at a traffic light. The combination works in this car.
Maybe you should try one. AS
Old 08-30-2007, 09:04 AM
Periokid
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of people don't like the F1 transmissions. I have tried them and did not care for them. Obviously, people want autos in these cars but I would really dislike my car with an auto.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:28 AM
cabman4007
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never consider a 911 without a standard tranny.

The shifting enhances the experience.

If I want an automatic I ll get a 4 door sedan.

Don
Old 08-31-2007, 05:24 AM
jt993ttchicago
Advanced

Im "sticking up" for the stick here too! It's just such a totally different experience like he said. No one is trying to say that the Turbo doesnt become an excelent GT and overall performer with an auto. The thing here people is about the overall personality of your car, which has many many ingrediants; the most important choice being are you going to perform every single shift that car makes on your own or have it done for you. As far as the posts insisting the performance advantage about the tip I have 2 quick things to say.

1. The Tip is faster b/c they wanted it to be faster for marketing reasons (if it appeals to more people, more people are going to buy it) and WOW, since its the fastest one they're making sure you feel darn good about that choice. It's better for Porsche if it's customers don't have to perceive buying the Tip, for whatever reasons they are, as a sacrifice or negative. You want your customers spending that money to feel completly fufiled with their purchase, not like they had to settle for what worked for them, but that they bought top shelf technology and performance (which ANY porsche is in my opinion regardless). Porsche saw the increased sucess and market appeal of the 996 Tip, that car of course WAS NOT faster then the convential trans. I would have to say then that the electronic AWD of the 997 is what is making the major difference in acceleration potential then.

Bottom Line: Porsche knows what it is doing with it's product image..it always has. They are master marketers. No other company can get customers so excited about paying huge premiums for its special versions of the 911 and the exclusive options we all love.

Still though if you want to win the performance argument sirs and madams here is your closing statements every single time....

2. Is the GT3 offered with tip? What about the ultra high performance RS? Nope. Hmmm possibly the new GT2 then, I just read about that in Excellence tonight...its stick too...now with launch control!

"A closing real world example, I was there"
I had a lawyer friend that owned a 360 spider that had F1...he kept that car for 5 years, His F430 (a car specifically designed to work with F1 and that manetino) was ordered with a Stick...it felt amazing too, an expereince the F1 just couldn't match.

Quick Reply: Negatives of buying a 997TT Tip?