Creaking sound when turning steering right

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2024, 11:26 PM
nightfury213
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Creaking sound when turning steering right

Hello,

My steering wheel when turned to the right causes a creaking sound, video attached. At times it seems that going over a speed bump causing body flex causes it too. I've read quite a few posts, but can't find something where the sound is like mine. Saw a mechanic today and he would like to take apart the steering column tomorrow to see what's happening. I read through quite a few posts, but can't seem to find something like this so would like to hear about some ideas before I go down the wrong path. I heard it could potentially be strut bearings, so will look into that as well.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_4043.MOV (15.55 MB, 16 views)

Last edited by nightfury213; Yesterday at 12:04 AM. Reason: accidentally published.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM
MM997
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you checked the boot around the front lower control arm ball joint? Prone to tear and can cause a creaking sound on turns when it fails. Happened to mine not too long ago and sounded similar to this.

Quickest way to look for me was to just turn the wheels all the way in either direction and stick a phone back there and take some pictures of all the joints
The following users liked this post:
nightfury213 (Yesterday)
Old Today, 12:49 AM
nightfury213
3rd Gear

Alright, the problem is now fixed. Turned out to be some quarters in the center console! The mechanic had a good laugh about it and charged me $1.26 for the fix and told me to stop putting change in there. It really doesn't sound like quarters, but happy it's not anything more interesting.

Thanks @MM997
Old Today, 01:22 AM
MM997
AutoX

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha! That’s amazing. That counts as a win as far as I’m concerned
Old Today, 10:01 AM
RennKit-Dave
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 181 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by nightfury213
Alright, the problem is now fixed. Turned out to be some quarters in the center console! The mechanic had a good laugh about it and charged me $1.26 for the fix and told me to stop putting change in there. It really doesn't sound like quarters, but happy it's not anything more interesting.

Thanks @MM997
crap, I have to look for change now…
http://rennkit.com/
  • Patented eRam Kit™ for 996/997 Turbo & Carrera GT wings
  • Cal*Cool™ - brake cooling 996/997 / Bluetooth Retrofit Kit™ for 1998-2011 cars / Wing Extenders™ 987 Cayman / 997 Turbo
  • AUTO-BLiP for MT / Function F1RST Shift ***** / Girodisc 2-piece rotors / OS Giken LSD / Phenix suspension / Zunsport grills / 997/987 switches/PCM ***** / Border Coilovers
Old Today, 04:19 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

$1.26, please share your tech's shop!
Old Today, 04:23 PM
nightfury213
3rd Gear

I've been going to Euro Spec Motoring in Los Angeles. No big jobs yet, but so far they've been friendly and reasonably priced considering they spent a good amount of time trying to locate the creak.

Quick Reply: Creaking sound when turning steering right