997.1 turbo sticky throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2024, 09:32 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

lol, makes sense. I’m very similar.

Also, wait wait.

you said spacers and springs. What are these parts? Just want to make sure anything turbo related I didn’t overlook.
Old 07-05-2024, 09:51 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
lol, makes sense. I’m very similar.

Also, wait wait.

you said spacers and springs. What are these parts? Just want to make sure anything turbo related I didn’t overlook.
The bypass valves are 3 parts:
- cap
- spring
- diaphragm

You can replace the caps with oem bw or i use full race caps to run an lines. the spring you can reuse stock but i feel like if youre gonna open them might as well. The diaphragm is the biggest wear item as it can tear. The spring is annoying to find in stock rating, and not the stiffer item everyone seems to advertise. I am not running anymore than stock turbos and mildly more boost so I dont see the need to touch anything.

BW sells the full service kit #179424 but comes with the stiffer spring, and i bet its backlogged too lol

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 07-05-2024 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-05-2024, 10:55 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Rodger that. Thank you.
Old 07-06-2024, 01:10 PM
keeeban
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Really looking forward to the build! Love modified and driven turbos. Do you have a build thread or IG to follow along?
Old 07-06-2024, 02:22 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keeeban
Really looking forward to the build! Love modified and driven turbos. Do you have a build thread or IG to follow along?
Thanks! I have a youtube channel I will be posting to, but nothing much there yet (under my social profiles tab in my profile on here).
I have no social media or a build thread. I will make a build thread when the car is done as Id like to post the progress all at once vs waiting months between updates.
My only plan which has been my goal for 10 years was to make pikes peak. Unfortunately build costs/running costs/entry costs are not cheap and especially so for 911s.
So I take a small bite at a time. I finally have the resources so its only time holding me back.

Honestly it would of been cheaper to buy a used cup car and throws a pair of turbos on it. But I am weird and wanted to be able to register the car (who knows why).

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 07-06-2024 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
keeeban (07-06-2024)
Old 07-06-2024, 10:35 PM
keeeban
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by AltitudeRacing
Thanks! I have a youtube channel I will be posting to, but nothing much there yet (under my social profiles tab in my profile on here).
I have no social media or a build thread. I will make a build thread when the car is done as Id like to post the progress all at once vs waiting months between updates.
My only plan which has been my goal for 10 years was to make pikes peak. Unfortunately build costs/running costs/entry costs are not cheap and especially so for 911s.
So I take a small bite at a time. I finally have the resources so its only time holding me back.

Honestly it would of been cheaper to buy a used cup car and throws a pair of turbos on it. But I am weird and wanted to be able to register the car (who knows why).
Doing all that from the ground up on a street car while being able to legally register and drive it where/whenever you want is a mission itself. Not being able to drive it on the streets and mountains would totally feel restrictive haha. Looking forward to seeing it completed and racing up Pikes Peak🫡
Old 07-06-2024, 11:23 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by keeeban
Doing all that from the ground up on a street car while being able to legally register and drive it where/whenever you want is a mission itself. Not being able to drive it on the streets and mountains would totally feel restrictive haha. Looking forward to seeing it completed and racing up Pikes Peak🫡
Thanks, one day. I will most likely end up trying to convince BBI to let me go with them and their gt2rs clubsports and stuff. I am a one man team and its super hard to keep up with everything consistently by yourself.
The following users liked this post:
keeeban (07-07-2024)
Old 08-01-2024, 12:56 PM
M_B
3rd Gear

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

My 2007 TT has the same issue, but only when in sport!
Old 08-01-2024, 01:21 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

I’ve watched or read somewhere that because this is drive-by-wire and not drive-by-cable, the throttle body motor is very sensitive to throttle plate sticking.

Meaning that clean throttle body is more important than it would be with drive-by-cable style as you can overcome stickiness with your foot where motor less so.

I think we should all clean our TBs and report back if that feeling is gone.
Old 08-01-2024, 01:29 PM
AltitudeRacing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by M_B
My 2007 TT has the same issue, but only when in sport!
Interesting, I have never driven it in non-sport mode as I find it mediocre. My post below shows I am not pursuing the issue further until after maintenance and a tune as I think any issues will be sorted by then. Not going to chase this down given I will be changing a significant amount of variables in the meantime.

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
I’ve watched or read somewhere that because this is drive-by-wire and not drive-by-cable, the throttle body motor is very sensitive to throttle plate sticking.

Meaning that clean throttle body is more important than it would be with drive-by-cable style as you can overcome stickiness with your foot where motor less so.

I think we should all clean our TBs and report back if that feeling is gone.
Yes but I replace throttle bodies on a timed schedule. The TB in this car was replaced and the issue persisted. I have seen this on 2 other cars as well.
I got over it as I will be replacing almost everything due to necessity and doing a full tune.

Last edited by AltitudeRacing; 08-01-2024 at 01:31 PM.

Quick Reply: 997.1 turbo sticky throttle?