Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter shaft seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2023 | 10:32 AM
SpencerB
Intermediate

Default Oil Filter shaft seal

I normally order german oil filters (Mahle or Mann) when doing an oil change for my 997.1 turbo. It seems like every time I order one they include the large filter o-ring housing seal, but the tiny o-ring seal for the shaft is missing. Is there any that you guys order that come with both seals included?
Old 06-08-2023 | 04:36 PM
Got Alky
Intermediate

Just went through this, they are as expensive as the filter.

"Porsche Engine Oil Filter Housing Cover Shaft O-Ring - Genuine Porsche 99970746540
Qty: 3
Price: $32.37"

Ordered 3 so I didnt have to mess with this in the future.
Old 06-08-2023 | 04:49 PM
harlanmott3
Racer

I bought a bunch of viton 10x2mm o-rings from my local o ring store for something like $0.90 each. Viton is top of the line, I think the oem part is actually buta even.
Old 06-09-2023 | 04:02 PM
Got Alky
Intermediate

For oil its supposed to be Viton. The problem is it's a guess as to what the exact material is? and since there are a lot of different types of rubber, and this particular rubber seal can affect the oiling system.. my personal opinion is why risk 10 bucks on a 20K motor. I have been financially burned too many times with some sort of hidden seal not keeping up with the chemical or temperature. If it was an external seal and worse case it dripped.. i'd be all over it. As it couldn't cause an issue.
Old 02-14-2024 | 05:21 PM
Calabasas Dave
Intermediate

I read somewhere that you are supposed to change the whole plastic housing out with the oil filter as it has a pressure release valve in there that could fail. I change my oil every 5,000 miles (which I know is long for some people) and I change out the housing every other oil change (the Porsche housing with filter and both O-rings is on sale at Pelican's for around $38 now) so I feel comfortable that the pressure release valve is changed (with O-ring) every 10,000 miles.

The expensive part is the Driven DI40 oil at $17 a quart.
Old 02-14-2024 | 11:04 PM
TurboTime997
Instructor

Yeah, that is a really annoying deal with this car. And it's unusual because the filter housing on vr6 corrado has a similar setup and the smaller o-ring is typically included with the oil filter. I just found the part number for the crush washers and small housing o-ring and bought like 20 of each.

Fun story. I bought an oil change kit from FCP Euro a couple of weeks ago. When I changed the oil, one of the crush washers and the small o-ring for the housing were the wrong size. I just used what I had on hand instead. I think even the simple things are going to be hard to find in the not so distant future.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter shaft seal