Sponsored by:

DSC Maps / Settings - Whatcha got?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2023, 10:06 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,540 Likes on 1,582 Posts
Default DSC Maps / Settings - Whatcha got?

Been thinking about my Turbo and realized that I have some untapped potential in the passenger footwell - the DSC Controller. I've had it almost as long as I've had the car, so coming up on 2 and a half years now, and I've never so much as figured out how to program it let alone tried to upload any custom maps or tinker with the maps myself.

For those of you who have it, what have you done? Has @Tom@TPC Racing created any maps for you or have you done any custom mapping yourself?

Our roads here in North Houston are straight, broken concrete and the DSC has been a lifesaver. Finally got to push the car a bit this weekend during car control school and the car did pretty well on the figure 8 and wet skidpad, but would love to see if I'm leaving something on the table here. Thanks!
Old 04-20-2023, 11:31 AM
whitegt315
Intermediate

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

Also curious if I need a new update after adding lowering springs/gt2 sway bar.
Old 04-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

Not running the DSC box currently, but I found the provided maps to be very good.

(I've had extensive experience programming DSC on the Focus RS platform - with Tractive dampers)

Without the fast response of a Tractive damper, IMO you won't achieve much improvement in asking for more performance.

However, on the stock PASM, the 'just driving along' low gForce damping is magic. That's the party trick
Old 04-21-2023, 08:05 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 205 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
Not running the DSC box currently, but I found the provided maps to be very good.

(I've had extensive experience programming DSC on the Focus RS platform - with Tractive dampers)

Without the fast response of a Tractive damper, IMO you won't achieve much improvement in asking for more performance.

However, on the stock PASM, the 'just driving along' low gForce damping is magic. That's the party trick
The DSC module is one of the most important mods for a 997.2 Turbo (since that is the car that I have and have experienced) that you can make by far. In it's basic setup (using the OEM PSAM) it will transform the car in a way that even only in comfort mode makes all the difference. The car is much more compliant and enjoyable. In Sport mode it firms things up and makes the car sharper and more engaging (and still comfortable). I've seen threads where people talk about a turbo with a DSC giving GT cars way more a run for the money than expected.

Now that being said.... I too would like to go to the next level too making my comfort setting the original "sport" and then dial up the "sport" that clearly is even more focused.
I sometimes feel like I get a "left to righ shimmyt" feeling over bumps. The dampers seem to all be fine but I would like to dial that feeling out. (I even notice that kind of behavior in my E63s over bumps so it seems to be something that I am disposed to noticing.

Last edited by cyclrder; 04-21-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 70 Posts

DSC combined with a shock that has a fast response time is when the effectiveness of the programming becomes astoundingly good. Stock dampers cannot change fast enough to DSC instructions. This is not saying the mod is not valuable, just that in can be leaps and bounds better. IMO iIt's still mandatory for cars on stock PASM dampers.

All that said, alignment, ride height, track width etc are still important, and won't be replaced simply with DSC.

To the OP: it can't hurt to play with the sport settings and see if you can feel a difference . . .

IMO Tractive dampers will unlock DSC potential.
Old 04-21-2023, 11:18 PM
jayzbird
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 174 Posts

Agree, a file sharing capability (I guess it could just be files attached to a thread) would be nice. I’m running a custom file developed by a fellow rl’er where he basically squished normal and sport into one, starting with normal settings and then progressing to sport settings as the loads increase.

Quick Reply: DSC Maps / Settings - Whatcha got?