Sponsored by:

Interesting Take on the .2 Turbo...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2022, 01:02 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclrder
My car is a .2 with GT2Wheels and Cup tires on it. I also have a DSC module with a sportier "tune" on the module. My issues were more in the rear of the car whereas it felt like the car was "over" tired (rubber) and wasn't able to cope with the added traction... like the tires had different amounts of traction between them. I added the OEM GT2 sway bar (the OEM version cannot be used on a PDK car). The sway bar really helped the back in as it feels much more planted and flat around the turns. I went a step further with an alignment that was as close to GT2 spec as possible (the OEM front camber plates are the the limiting factor here but I didn't want to veer off not using OEM parts).

The alignment really made the difference. The car is lively and can easily be rotated around corners with a flat and smooth control. Albeit all of my driving is country road and street basically below 65MPH.

My beef with the article is that he is basically saying that the .1 manual car was much better handling than the .2 PDK car that he drove and I think that just isn't accurate.
Reading over the article in the December 2009 Excellence Magazine.. they talk about PTV Porsche Torque Vectoring as being something that makes a huge difference.. kinda like today we wouldn't even compare two 911s with and without rear steering. It mentions how the cars have different sway bars depending on if they have PTV or not... they talk about how with a .1 car that the front differential had "absolute" responses to the sensors and software whereas the .2 cars have software (and a different diff) that mimics a viscous clutch which progressively and seamlessly apportions exactly the torque required to the front axle. It goes on from there with the changes but I won't bore you.
This ^... the .2 handling character is different (improved?) over the .1 from the factory. Now if the owner in the video made suspension mods in the .1 that's a whole different story.
Old 08-20-2022, 01:05 PM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclrder
I'm in NYC and Long Island... could make a trip to CT... I'd love to put two MT cars side by side to see. PM me.
Where on LI....I am in Suffolk...we do weekend runs with a local Porsche group...sorry OT
Old 08-20-2022, 04:01 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

I usually respect JayEmm's conclusions. He identified the .2's obvious weaknesses:

- First gen PDK does look a little slow

- Turn in did not inspire on my 997.2 until I did suspension work

- Stock suspension is soft

It would be nice to have a follow up with proper alignment!
The following users liked this post:
lliejk (08-23-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 02:38 PM
997.2TTConvert
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

From Jayemm's bio: "I am a cameraman by trade and petrolhead by all else. I've mostly owned German cars with the odd Frenchie thrown in for good measure, but consider myself appreciative of all car cultures." I wouldn't consider that makes him an SME on cars. In fact, he's just another youtuber. And this is only his opinion based on liimited driving of borrowed a car. My personal 88,000 mile 997.2 TTS driving experience is vastly different than Jayemm's....
cyclrder (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022, 04:32 PM
Rig.Stunts
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 71 Posts

His perspective is often valid - for street driving. He actually reports on driving dynamics. And yes, he reviews borrowed cars.

No doubt he would rate my 997.2 TT manual (modified) as the best car he's ever driven (on YouTube)

I'm certain your TTS would be equally excellent

"LOL"

Old 08-25-2022, 06:05 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,541 Likes on 1,583 Posts

Originally Posted by 997.2TTConvert
From Jayemm's bio: "I am a cameraman by trade and petrolhead by all else. I've mostly owned German cars with the odd Frenchie thrown in for good measure, but consider myself appreciative of all car cultures." I wouldn't consider that makes him an SME on cars. In fact, he's just another youtuber. And this is only his opinion based on liimited driving of borrowed a car. My personal 88,000 mile 997.2 TTS driving experience is vastly different than Jayemm's....
My experience is near identical to his.

Originally Posted by Rig.Stunts
His perspective is often valid - for street driving. He actually reports on driving dynamics. And yes, he reviews borrowed cars.
Agreed.

While I tend to discount YouTuber views somewhat, i do watch way too many and feel I have a good sense of sorting those giving honest opinions and those just trying to shill for the video. James tends to be very honest, and pretty straightforward, often at the expense of views. If you've not watched his other videos, this might not come through. Watch his video on the 997.1 Turbo Manual he drove and you get more context.

Also, he does currently own a 968 and a 430 Scud, plus an F550 Maranello and an F12 as well. He also owned an Elise for some time.

LOL, he just posted a video where he says the 997.1 C2S is the perfect first Porsche. Haven't watched it yet:

Rig.Stunts (08-25-2022)

Quick Reply: Interesting Take on the .2 Turbo...