Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Do you hate the most about your turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 09:33 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Pretty much all my dislikes have already been mentioned, but here are three more:
1. While I have an ‘09 with the upgraded PCM that offers Bluetooth phone, it’s unable to to play music via Bluetooth. I totally understand the limitations of technology at that time, but it’s a bit annoying that I have to plug my phone into the aux to listen to music but I can take calls hands free.
2. When the windows are fully down and I want to roll them fully up, I have to keep my finger on the switch until the window is half way up, only then will it continue to roll up when I take my finger off the switch.
3. Learned the hard way, but extremely fortunately I was right in front of a gas station, when that fuel needle is in the red, get fuel asap! Once I was driving and the low fuel light came on, I didn’t make it further than four miles before it ran out of gas. I’m used to at least 15-20 before empty. Big lesson learned!

Aside from these gripes, I absolutely love the car and will drive it until the wheels fall off!!
Old 03-24-2022, 11:52 PM
V-TT
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts

Call me crazy, but I don’t like the AWD. I wish it was RWD with an LSD.

The following 2 users liked this post by V-TT:
Robocop305 (03-25-2022), Terry Adams (03-25-2022)
Old 03-25-2022, 10:07 AM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by V-TT
Call me crazy, but I don’t like the AWD. I wish it was RWD with an LSD.
.2 cars drive more like rear wheel drive instead of AWD… that was one of the major things that Porsche addressed on the updated model. .2 cars mostly come with the rear diff.
Old 03-25-2022, 10:59 AM
mikestyle
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by signde
fixed:
- road noise in the cabin (not exhaust drone). added sound deadening to the doors. tremendous improvement.
- lack of backup camera
- lack of bluetooth, CarPlay, Android Auto
- muddy bose subwoofer
- exhaust that sounded like a mildly upset vacuum cleaner

todo:
- gray center PCM stack (997.1) - it looks so dated and out of place to me. will be doing the DIY painting to satin black look of the 997.2
- pin all the things
- rear wing rams are weeping

things i can't fix:
- the lack of auto headlights. i've looked all over for aftermarket or OEM backdate solutions and have come up with nothing. i don't mind having to turn the headlights on myself, it's the forgetting to turn them off part that has bitten me.
- every online car group i am in people can't seem to refrain from making political comments
$600 and you can have auto headlights!
https://autolightsystems.com/product...switch-system/

Old 03-25-2022, 11:54 AM
signde
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestyle
$600 and you can have auto headlights!
https://autolightsystems.com/product...switch-system/
wow, thanks! i didn't think anything like this existed. $600 seems like quite a lot though - a similar product for my mk6 golf r was like $120. i guess the p-car tax is real.
Old 03-25-2022, 12:02 PM
Kevin8tor
Racer

Received 191 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by signde
wow, thanks! i didn't think anything like this existed. $600 seems like quite a lot though - a similar product for my mk6 golf r was like $120. i guess the p-car tax is real.
Pcar tax....Now that's something to hate! 6 bills for auto lights.....I barely drive this thing after dark.....too many deer where I live. Pass.
The following users liked this post:
truekraut (03-25-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 02:12 AM
harlanmott3
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 98 Posts

Only one thing I really dislike about the car:
The porsche purist crowd. I can't imagine not driving my car to work, or the store, or anywhere for that matter because i dont want it to depreciate, or refusing to use aftermarket parts, or worse yet giving people attitude if they want to.
I hate so much when someone excitedly asks for an opinion on some aftermarket item and a bunch of porsche clowns respond "leave it like it came from porsche" or some equivalent. I seriously thought about another brand, r8 or gtr, when I picked up my car because of it.

Not you guys tho, you guys are awesome.
The following 6 users liked this post by harlanmott3:
FlyEaglesFly (09-11-2022), mfm3 (03-29-2022), Rig.Stunts (03-28-2022), Robocop305 (03-29-2022), snolvr (03-30-2022), Zakowsky (03-31-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-28-2022, 04:21 PM
TurboTime997
Instructor

Received 95 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by lliejk
There isn't much I don't like about the car that I haven't already addressed. I specifically chose this iteration because it was lower tech than what people are used to now (of course this comes from a guy who DD's a 1995 Audi UrS6). But if I were to put up a list from when the car was stock:

1. Power Assist Clutch - the absolute worst design for a clutch I have ever encountered. Installed GT2 clutch slave
2. Suspension - Stock springs/shocks & PASM - installed Bilstein Coil Overs, GMG sways & DSC controller
3. Cams & Coolant Pipes - pinned them
4. Outdated A/V - put a cheap Apple interface in will live with the sound system and outdated PCM for now
5. Stock Exhaust - why? - installed a Kline
6. Rear Wing - installed a GT2 style replacement
7. No Oil Dipstick - why? - installed a GT2 dipstick
This about covers all of my issues and also goes beyond them. The compromised durability and weird feel of the assisted clutch is definitely something I can do without--though it's not the most annoying for me. I find the stock suspension to be a little brittle over some surfaces. I will look into a DSC controller to hopefully take care of that issue fairly easily. I don't mind the stock sound system, but the negative of going with a top spec of any car, it goes all in on being outdated when that inevitability comes true. The whole center panel just looks so dated vs the .2 cars. If there was a way to get the Bose with a single DIN h/u that would have been my preference. My e92 M3 had the standard single DIN h/u that aged so much better than the one with the nav screen. It's probably the most annoying aesthetic part of the car.

Now we come to the things most annoying to me. The lack of dipstick is just ridiculous. Had it on the BMW and now have it on the Porsche. I guess the German's suddenly felt that it's suddenly uncouth for owners to dirty their hands in the engine bay when accessing the dipstick? What is the actual advantage of this supposed "technology" making the dipstick irrelevant? And lastly the noise. That's really number 1 for me. I guess Porsche was trying to make the Turbo a bit more comparable to a Mercedes SL or something, but it's just too quiet. And it's not just that it's quiet, the noise I do hear from inside the car isn't very flattering. If I ever sold this car, it would be because of the nature and volume of the noise.
Old 03-28-2022, 04:59 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 109 Posts

Thought of another thing I hate; the plasti-dip material used on the center console, door handle trim and other trim pieces. It’s scratches so easily and there isn’t anything you can do about it other than strip off the finish and repaint the trim. Heaven help you if a cleaner such as Armor All was used on that material…then you’ve got a sticky goopy mess on your hands (saw that happen on a gen 1 Lexus is300 with the same trim coating). If your trim is leather, painted or carbon fiber that’s great! Though I’ll bet most of us have the rubber coating.
The following 2 users liked this post by truekraut:
Needsdecaf (03-30-2022), Robocop305 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:54 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 199 Likes on 132 Posts

1. The polarizing reactions. With my S2000 it’s mostly thumbs up and smiles.

With this car it’s a 50/50 of thumbs up or the finger. Had a few trucks try to roll-coal into the open window (and did) when we were dressed up for an event in the 997.

2. Worrying about how much stuff can and will cost.

Old 03-28-2022, 09:33 PM
cakM3
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

The thing I hate most about my turbo is that the mileage continue to go up and it's value decreasing as the miles pile up. This is the only thing I hate about my turbo but I have gotten my dream car and don't plan to ever sell it so I'm enjoying the heck out of it as I continue to drive mine like I stole it. Simple as that. This upcoming season I am planning to drive my Porsche down from New England to the Porsche Driving Experience center in Atlanta to meet up with a few good friends to have some fun. Then off to Florida before heading back to New England... I love taking my Porsche on long distance road trips... it is a perfect highway cruising car

Last edited by cakM3; 03-28-2022 at 09:35 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by cakM3:
Cnair (03-29-2022), Robocop305 (03-29-2022), tatarin (04-01-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 07:10 AM
Cnair
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by cakM3
The thing I hate most about my turbo is that the mileage continue to go up and it's value decreasing as the miles pile up. This is the only thing I hate about my turbo but I have gotten my dream car and don't plan to ever sell it so I'm enjoying the heck out of it as I continue to drive mine like I stole it. Simple as that. This upcoming season I am planning to drive my Porsche down from New England to the Porsche Driving Experience center in Atlanta to meet up with a few good friends to have some fun. Then off to Florida before heading back to New England... I love taking my Porsche on long distance road trips... it is a perfect highway cruising car
That's the way to make the best use of the car...I have 63k on my turbo S and she is purring like a kitten.
The following users liked this post:
cakM3 (03-29-2022)
Old 03-29-2022, 05:59 PM
mfm3
Rennlist Member

Received 86 Likes on 47 Posts

I guessing most of us with a cab have heard of SmartTop. It allows one touch control of windows and the top. Adds beeps when you lock and unlock. Also adds a few other nice-to-have features for ~$380.

Last edited by mfm3; 03-29-2022 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:41 PM
mrmaass
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by mikestyle
You guys are crazy, there are only two real problems with the car:

1. No automatic headlights (although it does have automatic dash lights)
2. passenger side window does not have auto up

END LIST
All this time I thought my passenger side window electronics were broken! I'm glad I read this thread.

The things I hate about my car are really a problem with my brain.

1. I am reluctant to drive it because I am afraid someone will crash into me or damage it while it is parked.
2. If I go to a place that only offers valet parking I end up walking pretty far from the nearest self-parking lot.

Even a minor accident will take 10K right off the top even if the car is repaired better than new. This happened to my 996T and it was heartbreaking.
Old 03-30-2022, 03:58 PM
signde
Racer

Received 266 Likes on 154 Posts

the 997 coupe does have passenger side auto rollup, it just doesn't engage until the passenger window is more than half up. so like "one-touch 0.5".

from the manual

Quick Reply: What Do you hate the most about your turbo?