Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which Car Would You Choose To Buy?
997.1/2 Turbo Automatic
36.73%
2016 GT4 Low Mileage
63.27%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Would You Buy a 2007 997.1 Turbo or 2016 GT4??

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2022 | 01:58 AM
Ed99
Pro

Originally Posted by RennKit-Dave
Thaks for asking.
1. Smile factor goes to the GT4. It is fun just tooling around. Nobody can believe it has the stock muffler - it screams when pushed. I'm sure it would be a blast on the track as well, but I have a 996 Turbo track car for that activity. The GT4 is a dog compared to any of the turbos. When the turbos spool up, hang on! The 997.2 turbo S is freaky fast. I'm actually leery to use the launch control and the PDK is amazing. Did take it to Road America for a DE day. That was fun. The 997.1 turbo is crazy fast as well as is the Markski tuned 996 TT coupe. They all deliver a definite fun factor whenever driven. The 996 turbo cab is the least fun or desirable. Nice to cruise around in the sunshine, but it is bone stock and lacks the accoutrements of the other cars.
2. Never had a Porsche leave me stranded. Both 996 Turbos have been inexpensive to maintain - not a single breakdown. All work has been prophylactic (other than a blown turbo boost hose at the track that was easily changed out and replaced front CV boots). The 997.1 turbo developed mysterious problems and after Kelly Moss ripped apart the interior and top end of the motor, mechanic found a broken wire under the parcel shelf... my luck. It had the coolant lines pinned when I bought it. The 997.2 Turbo S developed a bad cam sensor which the dealer replaced, luckily the one near the back end. The GT4 is too new to comment on maintenance/breakdown costs. However, I had a 2009 987.2 Cayman S (9A1 motor as well) for several years. Other than oil change and tires, never put a dime into it.

Thanks for sharing your experience between the 2 cars. Both are great cars and that is what makes it even harder to decide on buying.

Anyone else here that can chime in and share their experience on which car they would prefer and why.

Quick Reply: Would You Buy a 2007 997.1 Turbo or 2016 GT4??