Sponsored by:

Doubt about 997 Turbo Gen 1.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2022, 11:26 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by eaks
Seems very odd. My canadian 2009 has the updated tail lights and front turn signals. Its possible one of the previous owners updated them but my understanding was that the 2009 all had the updated lights. I may be incorrect and possibly my car was updated by PO.
Did you buy your car from Montreal or Toronto? There was one floating around a few years ago that had the conversion done. Believe it also had PCCB and black aftermarket wheels
Old 05-03-2022, 11:28 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Snbrder
2009 is a transition year and based on what was left in the parts bin that model year 997.2 features can vary. Engine and chassis is always 997.1. The most 997.2 I’ve seen are on my car and many others but not all: PCM3 with black center console (air conditioner controls, and other buttons), ventilated seats (can also be heated) but this option for ventilated was only available with comfort seats, LED rear taillights, turbo 2 wheels. I think there were additional 997.2 paint and color options. I’ve never seen a 2009 MY with a front bumper or facade from 997.2 (DRL). I’ve heard they also may have updated the air conditioner unit but I think it’s just the buttons and control unit.
thats correct. As a standard option from Porsche, only the comfort seat had the cooled option. Although, I know a forum member had cooled adaptive sport seat from the special wishes program and remember him saying it was expensive. This was on a 2007 Turbo
Old 05-03-2022, 01:45 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Did you buy your car from Montreal or Toronto? There was one floating around a few years ago that had the conversion done. Believe it also had PCCB and black aftermarket wheels
Car was in Montreal (the owner I purchased from bought it from an owner/dealer in Montreal). My car has stock wheels and steel brakes tho. Carfax also shows the car was originally sold by a USA dealer so I may have been incorrect in saying that it's a Canadian spec car.
Old 05-04-2022, 04:17 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Its as rare as hens teeth! Almost as rare as the 997.175 which is almost impossible to find!
Old 05-05-2022, 01:48 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Car was in Montreal (the owner I purchased from bought it from an owner/dealer in Montreal). My car has stock wheels and steel brakes tho. Carfax also shows the car was originally sold by a USA dealer so I may have been incorrect in saying that it's a Canadian spec car.
Yellow calipers?
Old 05-06-2022, 12:19 AM
eaks
Racer

Nope reds (oem with steel rotors)
Old 05-06-2022, 09:37 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Nope reds (oem with steel rotors)
Aww okay! There was a 2009 with PCCBs and the 997.2 front and rear conversion done floating around Montreal for a while and I believe it ended up in Toronto!
Old 05-06-2022, 12:59 PM
eaks
Racer

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Aww okay! There was a 2009 with PCCBs and the 997.2 front and rear conversion done floating around Montreal for a while and I believe it ended up in Toronto!
Got you. Ya different car. Mine was in Montreal then I purchased from a guy in Winnipeg last year. Car now lives in Alberta
Old 02-05-2023, 05:19 PM
coosa1814
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 1.5

Originally Posted by harlanmott3
Saabin has explained it exactly as I have seen it used as well. 997.1 = 2007-2008, 997.1.5 = 2009 (997.2 interior, 997.1 engine), 997.2 = 2010-2013
Correct, although the information is somewhat obscure. I have the exact US model which I have upgraded: engine, suspension, paint coating protection
and wheels. It really moves out and handles beautifully. 29,000 miles.
Old 07-18-2023, 08:06 PM
Una Vida
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997.1.5?

I believe there is such a car, although not specifically listed or categorized. I have one. Or at least I think I do. I bought a 2009 3.6l Turbo Cab a few years back fully believing it was a gen1. I knew very little about the 997, but upon researching replacement parts, i.e. taillights and other little fixes, I quickly discovered that gen1 taillights and center consul trims were very different and in fact my car was gen2 interior (back trim w/ PCM 3.0), rear bumper (no gaurds) and gen2 taillights. I’ve asked around many places, including knowledgeable dealers. Nobody seems to have any real idea. I know they started making the gen2’s in 2009 and suspect Porsche started equipping the gen1’s with certain interior and exterior gen2 features. In my research, I have not found any specific numbers for how many cars were produced like this, but they were not all RHD because this one is very happy driving on the Right side of the road with LHD here in Arizona. (As it should be). Haha
if anyone has any additional information I would greatly appreciate the clarification.
Cheers

Last edited by Una Vida; 07-18-2023 at 08:14 PM. Reason: Added photos
Old 07-18-2023, 08:30 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Una Vida
I believe there is such a car, although not specifically listed or categorized. I have one. Or at least I think I do. I bought a 2009 3.6l Turbo Cab a few years back fully believing it was a gen1. I knew very little about the 997, but upon researching replacement parts, i.e. taillights and other little fixes, I quickly discovered that gen1 taillights and center consul trims were very different and in fact my car was gen2 interior (back trim w/ PCM 3.0), rear bumper (no gaurds) and gen2 taillights. I’ve asked around many places, including knowledgeable dealers. Nobody seems to have any real idea. I know they started making the gen2’s in 2009 and suspect Porsche started equipping the gen1’s with certain interior and exterior gen2 features. In my research, I have not found any specific numbers for how many cars were produced like this, but they were not all RHD because this one is very happy driving on the Right side of the road with LHD here in Arizona. (As it should be). Haha
if anyone has any additional information I would greatly appreciate the clarification.
Cheers
I have a ‘09 as well and the PCM is the main difference between the rest of the gen 1 997 Turbos. I believe your bumper (with no bumperettes it’s most likely a euro-spec bumper) and taillights were probably upgraded by a previous owner as the ‘09 model year retains the gen 1 tail lights and rear bumper.
To answer your question about production numbers, per SC Sage: 1302 model year 2009 Turbos were delivered to the US and Canada (792 manuals and 510 tiptronic). Do you have the spec sheet on your car? It would be interesting to see how it was equipped from Porsche. If not, there is a member here on the forum who offers to return your original spec sheet if you provide your VIN. See link below for that thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...n-decoder.html
Old 07-19-2023, 09:36 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

^ I agree, it's most likely a 'normal' 09 with a few parts swapped

IIRC ventilated seats first became an option in '09 as well but I don't think are common at all because they could only be ordered with the standard seats not the adaptive sport seats or carbon buckets.
Old 07-20-2023, 08:08 PM
Una Vida
7th Gear

Originally Posted by truekraut
I have a ‘09 as well and the PCM is the main difference between the rest of the gen 1 997 Turbos. I believe your bumper (with no bumperettes it’s most likely a euro-spec bumper) and taillights were probably upgraded by a previous owner as the ‘09 model year retains the gen 1 tail lights and rear bumper.
To answer your question about production numbers, per SC Sage: 1302 model year 2009 Turbos were delivered to the US and Canada (792 manuals and 510 tiptronic). Do you have the spec sheet on your car? It would be interesting to see how it was equipped from Porsche. If not, there is a member here on the forum who offers to return your original spec sheet if you provide your VIN. See link below for that thread.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...n-decoder.html
Thanks for the info. The only spec sheet I have is a very basic one. If its possible to get one with more detail that would be fantastic. This is what I have...

​​​​​​

Old 07-20-2023, 08:31 PM
truekraut
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by Una Vida
Thanks for the info. The only spec sheet I have is a very basic one. If its possible to get one with more detail that would be fantastic. This is what I have...

​​​​​​
That’s the detail I was thinking of. Based on the options, it does appear as though the rear has been updated to the gen 2, at least the tail lights. The XXF “Red Taillights” are an option I have on my car as well and they are the solid red gen 1 lights. Regardless, you’ve got a beautiful looking TT with very tasteful modifications!

Factory option (XXF) red taillights.
Old 07-22-2023, 01:52 AM
Una Vida
7th Gear

Originally Posted by truekraut
That’s the detail I was thinking of. Based on the options, it does appear as though the rear has been updated to the gen 2, at least the tail lights. The XXF “Red Taillights” are an option I have on my car as well and they are the solid red gen 1 lights. Regardless, you’ve got a beautiful looking TT with very tasteful modifications!

Factory option (XXF) red taillights.
Thanks you too. Beautiful ride, dig your tips. .2 size_

Just strikes me as odd that the only mods done were the bumper and the center console.. Oh and a Tubi. Strange place to put ones $$ considering all the other mods-upgrades that could have been done instead. Regardless, Love this car. just not the bills and all of the sudden there laundry list of issues have popped up from new CV boots to slow hydraulic fluid leak above the trans at the axle. If only Porsche and Toyota could merge. Have a 09 LandCruiser w 270K biggest repair had been R&P at 260K. First world problems
Spoiler

Quick Reply: Doubt about 997 Turbo Gen 1.5