Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Would you own a PDK out of warranty?
Hell yeah! PDK is worth all the monies
60.87%
I'll pass. Rather keep looking for a MT
39.13%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

PDK and Future Ownerships Considerations

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2021 | 08:43 PM
888beast
8th Gear

Default PDK and Future Ownerships Considerations

I'm about to pull the trigger on 997.2 TTS.
I really want a 997 TT MT but they are really difficult to procure as they sell super fast.

I think the MT cars will no doubt rise in value. The 997.2 TTS also has classic potential. I think it can hold value very well because being an under 3 second car it's the fastest 997. It's still one of the fastest cars out there even after all these years.

However I have reservations due to the PDK. Although it is said to be a robust transmission, the low risk high consequence proposition is not ideal. Porsches policy re: repair/replacement does not sit well with me. I am fine with paying to play, i.e. maintenance/repair items, but the absurdity of a disposable transmission is too much for me to bear. The thought of a $20-$30k replacement for what could be $50 part makes me sick.

As these cars expire out of warranty and more PDK replacements occur, the future resale of PDK cars may drop hard and fast.

Are you guys hoping for Porsche to change policy (very unlikely)?
Hoping for independent heroes to step in and tackle PDK (hopeful but would be very region dependant).
Come to terms with potentially eating big fat Ls and just drive w/ no worries. If the tragedy ever occurs, cough up the Porsche ransom.

What are your thoughts? Would you buy a 997.2 TTS?
Old 05-16-2021 | 10:14 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Regardless of Porsche's policy, the secondary market will fill the gap. There are enough of the PDKs out there that are not under warranty (not just turbo's, but 997.2s, 987.2s, 991, 981, etc.) that there will be a demand for a "repair" and not "replace".

There's a guy on here that has done a great deal of research and looking into this already.. I think the thread is over on the regular 997 forum.

I have a MT in my turbo (.1) but I love the PDK in my 981.

There may be reasons to not pick a 997.2TT, but being a PDK really shouldn't be one of those reasons.

My 2 cents.
Old 05-16-2021 | 10:22 PM
IXXI TT
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
Regardless of Porsche's policy, the secondary market will fill the gap. There are enough of the PDKs out there that are not under warranty (not just turbo's, but 997.2s, 987.2s, 991, 981, etc.) that there will be a demand for a "repair" and not "replace".

There's a guy on here that has done a great deal of research and looking into this already.. I think the thread is over on the regular 997 forum.

I have a MT in my turbo (.1) but I love the PDK in my 981.

There may be reasons to not pick a 997.2TT, but being a PDK really shouldn't be one of those reasons.

My 2 cents.
Agree with this, supply will follow demand. I have a 997.2tt PDK, although a manual would be nice, no regrets.
Old 05-16-2021 | 11:26 PM
CubsFan1
Rennlist Member

Your license is more at risk than the PDK. Kidding aside, an AWD modern 911 turbo was optimized to be paired with the PDK, and they are robust units. You’ll realize soon enough that when you smash the go pedal it does require some two handed focus as the car quickly reaches speeds double the limit. Great cars!
The following users liked this post:
Kevin8tor (05-17-2021)
Old 05-17-2021 | 07:25 AM
cyclrder
Pro

A PDK car is absolutely fabulous….90% of the time it will be better optioned than a standard Turbo and the auto tranny is much better suited to a turbo car. It will be less expensive initially, and quite frankly today is a better value than a .2 MT. You can’t compare a .1 MT with the S as they are miles apart….

buy it and don’t look back… (just don’t test drive a .2 manual or you’ll understand the “delta”)
Old 05-17-2021 | 09:37 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

No problems with my PDK so far, just get it serviced as required.

Quick Reply: PDK and Future Ownerships Considerations