Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will Sway Bars help me on track days?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2020, 01:38 PM
sleshnyc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Will Sway Bars help me on track days?

I have a 2011 TTS stock but for a sharkwerks muffler delete exhaust. I'm not a huge track guy, maybe a couple times a year doing a High Performance Drive day. I was thinking about adding sway bars to help on the turns as a not crazily expensive upgrade, but I don't know how effective they are alone. I know i can put in new suspension, coil overs etc, but that's not what i'm after at this time. So, will sway bars alone positively impact my handling, and if so, any recommendations?

Thank you
Old 09-29-2020, 03:39 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

Yes, they will. I put the GT2RS rear sway on my car, set to medium, to remove some of the under steer character and make turn in a bit easier. It makes the car feel better on road and track.

It’s a cheap mod and only takes 30 minutes to install at home. Highly recommended.
The following users liked this post:
usrodeo4 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 03:43 PM
sleshnyc
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
Yes, they will. I put the GT2RS rear sway on my car, set to medium, to remove some of the under steer character and make turn in a bit easier. It makes the car feel better on road and track.

It’s a cheap mod and only takes 30 minutes to install at home. Highly recommended.
Thanks. do yo mind being more specific about what you bought?
Old 09-29-2020, 03:46 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

It’s the OEM rear sway bar from the GT2/GT3RS. There’s more info and a link to the product on Suncoast below. You’ll need new bushings (that they sell) as the bar is a bit thicker than the OEM turbo bar.

https://rennlist.com/forums/rennlist...d.php?t=969392
usrodeo4 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 08:05 PM
Vital Signs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought the gt2rs doesn't fit on the turbo s due to the pdk. Am I wrong?
usrodeo4 (09-30-2020)
Old 09-29-2020, 10:51 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

For an affordable and proven upgrade just add a DSC controller and a GT2 swaybar/bushings. This will improve overall handling and improve ride without sacraficing NVH....all for around $1500. For a more track focused car consider lighter weight wheels and stickier 18" track tires.

My experience is that a GT2 bar set on softest position in combo with DSC yields better handling than a stock controller and GT2 bar in the middle position....better grip, less rear rotation at the limit and nice pitch control.

Last edited by lflouie; 09-29-2020 at 11:19 PM.
Rig.Stunts (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 03:46 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by lflouie
For an affordable and proven upgrade just add a DSC controller and a GT2 swaybar/bushings. This will improve overall handling and improve ride without sacraficing NVH....all for around $1500. For a more track focused car consider lighter weight wheels and stickier 18" track tires.

My experience is that a GT2 bar set on softest position in combo with DSC yields better handling than a stock controller and GT2 bar in the middle position....better grip, less rear rotation at the limit and nice pitch control.
Does anyone know the spring rate of the GT2 bar at various positions, and of the stock Turbo bar?
Old 09-30-2020, 04:56 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Received 218 Likes on 135 Posts

the OEM GT2 sway bar will not fit a PDK car.. it will fit the manual (I have one on mine and am very happy with the outcome).
You could check with TPC racing as I believe they have a sway bar that will work on the PDK cars.
Old 09-30-2020, 04:59 PM
cyclrder
Pro

softest position.... hmmm... how would you describe the difference? I have mine set to the middle hole and am running Cup 2 tires on GT2RS wheels and sizes.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:21 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 98 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by cyclrder
softest position.... hmmm... how would you describe the difference? I have mine set to the middle hole and am running Cup 2 tires on GT2RS wheels and sizes.
if running Cup 2s, the center position is fine bc of the extra grip from the Cup 2s.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:30 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

if running Cup 2s, the center position is fine bc of the extra grip from the Cup 2s.
But you're going to be running the same tires front and rear. The stiffness of the rear bar will affect the front to rear grip balance of the car, regardless of what tires are on it.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:36 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
But you're going to be running the same tires front and rear. The stiffness of the rear bar will affect the front to rear grip balance of the car, regardless of what tires are on it.
I have to be honest.... I hardly get these tires up to temp and I drive them in the rain. Lets just say it makes it much more interesting at mere country road speeds! But they sure look cool! I think it will be 4s the next time... unless I make the mistake and find a new GT2 sitting on the dealer floor and see what is coming on that! I'm that sucker we all know for the laser cut Michelin nomenclature on the sidewall.
Old 09-30-2020, 06:38 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cyclrder
I have to be honest.... I hardly get these tires up to temp and I drive them in the rain. Lets just say it makes it much more interesting at mere country road speeds! But they sure look cool! I think it will be 4s the next time... unless I make the mistake and find a new GT2 sitting on the dealer floor and see what is coming on that! I'm that sucker we all know for the laser cut Michelin nomenclature on the sidewall.
Fair, my comment is assuming you're taking it to the limit of grip on the track. If you're not asking everything of the tires, then yeah, you can pretty much set the bar to whatever stiffness you prefer.
cyclrder (09-30-2020)
Old 09-30-2020, 07:05 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 889 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by sleshnyc
I have a 2011 TTS stock but for a sharkwerks muffler delete exhaust. I'm not a huge track guy, maybe a couple times a year doing a High Performance Drive day. I was thinking about adding sway bars to help on the turns as a not crazily expensive upgrade, but I don't know how effective they are alone. I know i can put in new suspension, coil overs etc, but that's not what i'm after at this time. So, will sway bars alone positively impact my handling, and if so, any recommendations?

Thank you
Money likely not well spent IMO.
Just enjoy the car as is.

Craig
Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 PM
cyclrder
Pro

Originally Posted by cgfen
Money likely not well spent IMO.
Just enjoy the car as is.

Craig
The rear sway bar and a much more aggressive alignment absolutely makes a difference for non track driving (I don’t track my car and can’t speak to that) but I certainly can pull the performance out of the car on the back roads of Ct.... but for the best return on money.. the DSC modules is the first purchase.
PowderJunkie (10-05-2020)

Quick Reply: Will Sway Bars help me on track days?