Depreciation Curves and Inflection Points

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 12:14 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Depreciation Curves and Inflection Points

Greetings,

I have not made much of a study of depreciation (never mind appreciation?) curves for 997TT or 997TTS models (or any other models for that matter). While there is science, and art, to valuing assets there are also behavioral/psychological factors at play and it is difficult enough to figure this out for something with cash flow never mind a vehicle. At the end of the day, the market is the market and observed values may depart from true intrinsic value at any point in time. I know that many folks here watch values on vehicles very closely. I am trying to get a sense if there are any sort of inflections points associated with time or mileage thresholds beyond the normal depreciation curves. For instance, is there a mileage threshold at which there is step-function change in value? I have seen people throw out mileage ceilings as low at 5K and as high as 20K that should not be exceeded if one views the vehicle from an investment standpoint. Also, is there a change in slope for depreciation going from the non-teens to the teens (over 12K to 13K). Does anyone have a data-supported perspective?

I understand and respect that these cars are made to be driven, and that such utility can be part of a perceived investment return, but I am inquiring separate and apart from that.

I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,

G.
Old 07-18-2019, 12:19 AM
gbakerge
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 77 Posts

See this post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ice-comps.html
Old 07-18-2019, 12:46 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gbakerge
Thanks so much for the link- don't know how I missed this when it was initially posted or in my subsequent search. Very helpful with available data and kudos to those that did the work. It would be great to see this based on actual sales data and accounting for trim (TT v TTS) as well as MT v PDK but not sure where to get a data set like that (perhaps one of the mags that reports actuals).

Best,

G.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:21 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by geoorlando
Thanks so much for the link- don't know how I missed this when it was initially posted or in my subsequent search. Very helpful with available data and kudos to those that did the work. It would be great to see this based on actual sales data and accounting for trim (TT v TTS) as well as MT v PDK but not sure where to get a data set like that (perhaps one of the mags that reports actuals).

Best,

G.
A recent document I saw indicated that over the past year 997tt were sold at average $77k with mileage at 35k. This includes all body styles, transmissions and conditions....and likely a few TTS. When I was looking last year i used the following guidelines to gauge the mkt. It is unscientific and doesn't differentiate for options, condition etc.

In general the base line was 40k mi at $75k asking...2007, 997.1tt, 6spd, coupe. For each mile different than 40k, I added or subtracted $0.50 per mile for cars (only for 10k to 45k mile range). So a 20k mile car would add $10k or $85k asking, etc. Under 10k mile brings a premium and over 45k mi had a steeper price drop. Some options had little effect on price (seats, steering wheel) while others had significant impact (Sport Chrono). Mods tended to actually have zero price benefit,,,unless a specific buyer was looking for those...stock cars tended to have a broader appeal and held their value.

I understand it is extremely general but it seems to fit with the market in 2018.
Old 07-19-2019, 07:43 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

The new C8 corvette was just unveiled. Chevrolet says you can step into this car for less than $60,000, Add 10k of options and you have a car thats definitely quicker and just more advanced.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 PM
geoorlando
Rennlist Member

I may try and put something together from the Reader Sales Reports in Excellence. Time-frame will be an issue but at least there are actual sales numbers and some detail on vehicle specs.

Quick Reply: Depreciation Curves and Inflection Points