Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Turbo Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum-139/)
-   -   Recalibrate TPMS "correct pressure" ? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turbo-forum/1151498-recalibrate-tpms-correct-pressure.html)

Duckstu 07-09-2019 05:12 PM

Recalibrate TPMS "correct pressure" ?

Is there a way to change what the car thinks is the correct tire pressure?

My car seems to think the door pressures of 36 ft and 44 psi rear are real world tire pressures (as opposed to just the pressures they used to meet CAFE).

Most people run 32 ft and 40 rear at most.

With some tires i run slightly less than that,.. and at the track,.. my cold pressures are about 28 front, 35 rear.

Of course this gets me tire warning and a red explanation point on the dash,.. which is annoying,.. and also means that if anything actually goes wrong,... I'm less likely to notice because the explanation point is already lit,.. and I;m generally ignoring the dash.

Drive home from the track with warm pressures of 36ft and 44 rear and the lights are still lit. Annoying when driving for hours on an unlit road.

Is there a way to reprogram the system so that it thinks 32 / 40 is correct ? Or just disable the entire thing?

Dguth 07-09-2019 05:35 PM

I've been trying to figure this out too. At the track, I run cold tire pressure at 28 front and 32 back. Normal tires/daily driving, I run 32 front and 36 back. I can't find a way to change or relearn the system.

nzskater 07-09-2019 05:45 PM

Mine are 2-3 PSI out as well, reading lower than actual. On the road it's fine but at the track it's a chore, as errors immediately when I drop to 28/28 cold. I just ignore it and drive.

Brainz 07-09-2019 09:51 PM

Take this with a grain of salt - - it may be a myth or a cruel joke, but there was a post several months ago on the 997 forum where someone indicated that there was a way to use PIWIS to code an additional third tire setting with special pressures. While the post suggested that "summer" and "winter" pressures were fixed, it was possible to set the new third "track" setting at lower pressures so that you dont get a dash light unless the pressure drops very low. It sounds ideal, and I'd pay the dealer to do it. Unfortunately, however, when I asked for instructions on how to enable the 3rd setting I got no response... Perhaps someone here can enlighten us.

DiegoR 07-10-2019 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by Brainz (Post 15962626)
Take this with a grain of salt - - it may be a myth or a cruel joke, but there was a post several months ago on the 997 forum where someone indicated that there was a way to use PIWIS to code an additional third tire setting with special pressures. While the post suggested that "summer" and "winter" pressures were fixed, it was possible to set the new third "track" setting at lower pressures so that you dont get a dash light unless the pressure drops very low. It sounds ideal, and I'd pay the dealer to do it. Unfortunately, however, when I asked for instructions on how to enable the 3rd setting I got no response... Perhaps someone here can enlighten us.

I have the Piwis2 and coded/set (you name it) the new TPSM sensors that were fitted by the previous owner at the dealer and they never could fix the random TPSM light in the cluster, but I did it. Now thta you mention it, let me explore with the Piwis2 and get back here with my findings.

Jaskfri 07-10-2019 11:56 AM

I had the tpms warning come on a few weeks ago. I fiddled with resetting the tire information and it said learning or resetting orsomething like that for a few minutes and then the warning went away. I run 33/39.