Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back in time....considering 2012 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 11:33 AM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

There have been a couple threads recently in the main 997 forum about PDK issues, including a stickied one where someone's finally figured out how to do some repairs on them instead of just wholesale replacement.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 12:56 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 551 Likes on 361 Posts

There are 2 PDK .2s at RAC that I looked at for Jeff last week. He ended up buying the '11 TTS. The '12 TT was also very nice..

https://www.racperformance.com/2012-...ton-TX/6286801

Not too far from you..
Old 01-02-2020, 01:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin
There are 2 PDK .2s at RAC that I looked at for Jeff last week. He ended up buying the '11 TTS. The '12 TT was also very nice..

https://www.racperformance.com/2012-...ton-TX/6286801

Not too far from you..
Yeah, saw the listing for that one. Will PM you. Thanks!
Old 01-02-2020, 08:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 931 Posts

As a former 997.1 TT cabriolet owner, I'll add a few thoughts. First of all, the 997 turbo is a wonderful car. I loved mine. Mine was well equipped, with PCCB, 6MT, adaptive sport seats, factory short shifter, sport steering wheel, etc. It was really a nice car. For a weekend driver I'd definitely go with a 6MT. The 997 turbos were the last generation available with a manual transmission, and that's pretty special. I'm 6'4", about 215 lbs, and I never had any comfort or fit issues with the 997.

Ultimately, your decisions on your next 911 come down to what you really prioritize. For me, the 997 TT was a bit like you describe your 991. While I loved it, I also never really got as excited about it as other cars. Sure, it was nice, it was comfortable, etc. The drama of full turbo boost was fantastic, but I always found myself looking at 991 turbos. I ultimately bought a 991 turbo s cabriolet, and it's the best 911 I've ever owned. It's the perfect car for me, and I have no interest in going back to a 997 or going forward to a 992. Each buyer has a unique set of priorities, and if the 997 checks all the right boxes for you, then I'm sure you'll love it.

A few more thoughts to consider (in support of the 997.1):
  • The 997.1 car has the storied Mezger engine, as noted above. They are also more readily available in 6MT.
  • The 997.1 is the last turbo with incandescent tail lights. They are old school, and they look just right on the 997, especially in the factory solid red version.
  • The 997.1 PCM 2.0 system is easily upgradable with aftermarket products to stream music with bluetooth, and to have bluetooth phone connectivity. The PCM 3.0 system in the 997.2 is harder to upgrade for streaming bluetooth music.
  • Definitely get PCCB. For a weekend car, it means no brake dust and the huge yellow calipers look great.
  • Definitely get a sport steering wheel and a short shift kit if you get a 6MT.
  • You can dramatically improve the suspension/handling of the car with aftermarket products. The ride quality of the 991 is considerably better than the 997, but if you upgrade the electronics in the 997, you can make a big improvement.
Good luck with your search, and I'm looking forward to seeing photos of your new 997 TT! You'll love it.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:00 PM
Viperfish
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You already know in your soul the 997.2 PDK is the winner. best car I've ever driven/owned. Extremely reliable. Great for Sunday drives or scaring the wife on the twisties. Sport+ is a must. It'll make you grin every time you're in it.

The following 4 users liked this post by Viperfish:
Big Swole (01-04-2020), charlie1 (09-06-2020), Needsdecaf (05-24-2020), redcarrera4 (02-05-2020)
Old 03-10-2020, 10:42 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dennis C

Ultimately, your decisions on your next 911 come down to what you really prioritize. For me, the 997 TT was a bit like you describe your 991. While I loved it, I also never really got as excited about it as other cars. Sure, it was nice, it was comfortable, etc. The drama of full turbo boost was fantastic, but I always found myself looking at 991 turbos. I ultimately bought a 991 turbo s cabriolet, and it's the best 911 I've ever owned. It's the perfect car for me, and I have no interest in going back to a 997 or going forward to a 992. Each buyer has a unique set of priorities, and if the 997 checks all the right boxes for you, then I'm sure you'll love it.t.
Curious to hear what the 991 TT gives you that gets you more excited than the 997. Is it the greater comfort / refinement / interior?

I've test driven several 997.2 TT's locally including one back to back with my current 991.1 C2S. My thoughts are as follows:

1. Don't mind the older interior at all. Only thing that really bothers me is the "older" nav in the PCM. Otherwise, I prefer the more intimate setting and closer-to-classic layout of the 997 vs. the 991.
2. The 991 is definitely more isolated. Much more sound deadening, steering (in my older 991.1) is way more numb. Feels bigger even if it's really not that much bigger.
3. The 997's seem to all have more squeaks and rattles. May be the age, may be those particular cars. My car has 40k miles and has no odd noises. All of the 997's I've driven have been 45k miles or below, and they have had more squeaks and rattles. nothing major, just doesn't feel as tight. Is this just a 997 thing?
4. PDK with Sport Chrono is pretty decent. No, it's not PDK-S from a GT car, but it's no slushbox either. This is good because a left ankle injury has left me unable to drive my car at all and has ruled out manual cars for now.
5. Steering feel with hydraulic is better, even with AWD, than an early 991.1
6. Suspension definitely feels less capable of smoothing out harsh roads in the 997.2 than in a 991.1. I think a DSC controller will be a must.
7. Stock exhaust is pretty quiet. But be careful with aftermarket, as some can be incredibly BOOMY.

In the end I think the 997.2 TT is giving me what I'm after in terms of increased interaction, analog feel, etc. And certainly the TT gives me much more usable performance than my wind-it-out 3.8 N/A Carrera S motor. Even if that motor is pretty sweet once you get it pulling. But I'm hesitating pulling the trigger because I'm looking at spending $25k to $30k more than my car....for an older car with similar miles that's an older platform with more squeaks and rattles.

Anyone gone from 991 back to 997 that can chime in? Do you ignore all of that after a few days and just focus on the smiles it gives you?

Thanks!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:45 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,481 Likes on 931 Posts

Good questions. One disclaimer, I've never driven a 997.2 Turbo or TTS. I think they bridge the gap pretty nicely between 997.1 and 991.1, and may be exactly what you want.

The things that get me more excited about the 991 vs. 997 are as follows:
  • I prefer the look of the 991, especially in cabriolet form. I realize that this is subjective, but I find the proportions and lines of the 991 to be more attractive.
  • The improved refinement of the interior is definitely a plus for the 991, especially when driving with the top closed. The top and the sound deadening in the 991 make it a very comfortable cruiser when that's what you want. It really gives the car a dual personality; it is very sporty with the top down, and very refined with the top up. Sometimes my wife and I go out to a nice dinner, and it's nice to have the top closed on the way there, and open on the way home.
  • As I previously mentioned, the suspension in the 991 was a huge step up. The 991 feels very planted and stable when cornering, without some of the harshness of the 997.
  • The exhaust has much more character in the 991, even in stock form. I've got an aftermarket exhaust on my car, which adds to the fun.
  • The 991 has more of a "supercar" driving experience than my 997 did. It feels like the car that made the jump to legitimately be compared to other high-end cars. My 997 felt like an evolution of my 996. My 991 feels like a totally different car, in a good way.
I'm not trying to talk you out of the 997 - they're great cars. The 991 is simply better for me.
Old 03-10-2020, 07:53 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

I can feel your dilemma...I am a former 997 TT 6MT owner who is looking at the 911's again (currently own an '18 Z06 A8 Vert, so with the GM Performance Intake ~665 BHP) and while I am leaning towards the 991.2 or maybe even the 992 TTS, I really would like a MT but want some H.P. so am looking at either another 997 TT MT (and then mod to ~620 BHP) or my real preference would be the RWD 2011 GT2 RS, but there the price jumps to ~$380K...lots of choices, MT, PDK, 640 BHP 992 TTS for $230K or a nice 997 TT modded and reshod for $85K and $50K of mods...haven't yet reached a decision, though the current market free fall brought about due to the corona bug has me in a wait and see mode, especially for the pricier options. For now I am just window shopping and enjoying my RWD Z06.
The following users liked this post:
Big Swole (03-10-2020)
Old 05-24-2020, 04:19 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thread update:

still sitting and waiting, but I am definitely convinced that a 997.2 PDK is the car. I sold my 991.1 at the start of the lockdowns as I wasn’t driving it anyway and didn’t want the value to tank. Wanted to have the cash in hand when the “right” 997.2 comes along.

I had originally discounted the cabs but now back to considering them. I do miss not having a cab, especially since the spring has been so gorgeous here in Houston. But the cab’s backseat is pretty much uninhabitable for my kids, at which point I might as well get a Boxster Spyder. So I need to drive one. Never driven a 997 cab in turbo guise.

Patiently waiting for the combo of options that grabs be to come available. I’ve done this drill before so it’s not too bad. Send leads my way!

Thanks all.
Old 05-24-2020, 09:12 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Thread update:

still sitting and waiting, but I am definitely convinced that a 997.2 PDK is the car. I sold my 991.1 at the start of the lockdowns as I wasn’t driving it anyway and didn’t want the value to tank. Wanted to have the cash in hand when the “right” 997.2 comes along.

I had originally discounted the cabs but now back to considering them. I do miss not having a cab, especially since the spring has been so gorgeous here in Houston. But the cab’s backseat is pretty much uninhabitable for my kids, at which point I might as well get a Boxster Spyder. So I need to drive one. Never driven a 997 cab in turbo guise.

Patiently waiting for the combo of options that grabs be to come available. I’ve done this drill before so it’s not too bad. Send leads my way!

Thanks all.
Well Hell lets go for a drive.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TBarrow
Well Hell lets go for a drive.
Haha, we should soon.

Definitely a 911 shaped hole in the garage. My last real nice trip other than for work was out to Royers in Round Top just before everything shut down. Wild flowers were awesome!

Old 05-25-2020, 08:15 AM
bschurr
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 108 Posts

Thread update:

Thanks all.
hey buddy - when you come up and see your folks we can take my 6MT TT Cab out for a romp! You will he instantly sold!

The following 2 users liked this post by bschurr:
Needsdecaf (05-25-2020), nzskater (05-25-2020)
Old 05-25-2020, 06:53 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Question...looking at a .2 TTS that has listed option: 375 Standard Sport Seats. Is that like the adaptive sport seats with non-adjusting side bolsters? Pics clearly show the sport seat with the shoulder bolstering. But I can’t see bottom front edge of the seats where the controls are.
Old 05-26-2020, 12:49 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,108 Likes on 1,328 Posts

Question...looking at a .2 TTS that has listed option: 375 Standard Sport Seats. Is that like the adaptive sport seats with non-adjusting side bolsters? Pics clearly show the sport seat with the shoulder bolstering. But I can’t see bottom front edge of the seats where the controls are.

I don't think any TTS would have been equipment with any type of manual seat. I'd assume these are the real sport seats. The other option on these cars was the ventilated seats that were not the sport seats.

Quick Reply: Going back in time....considering 2012 Turbo