Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Going back in time....considering 2012 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 09:32 AM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Sport Chrono. There were few made without it and from past posts seem to be a requested and talked about item when considering cars to purchase.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:33 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by TBarrow
Sport Chrono. There were few made without it and from past posts seem to be a requested and talked about item when considering cars to purchase.
Yeah, I know it's pretty popular. But does it really add that much to the experience? And if on a manual, is the only difference the active engine mounts?
Old 06-14-2019, 07:35 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
Yeah, I know it's pretty popular. But does it really add that much to the experience? And if on a manual, is the only difference the active engine mounts?
See post #15 .

Quote the from booklet:

“Sport Chrono Package Turbo with dynamic engine mount system.
The Sport Chrono Package Turbo with dynamic engine mount system is standard on 911 Turbo S models and available as an option for 911 Turbo models. This integrated system provides simultaneous enhancement for engine, chassis and transmission.
Key features include a digital
and analogue stopwatch on the dashboard, a performance dis- play, a personal memory function in the Porsche Communication Management (PCM), the SPORT button and – in combination with PDK – the SPORT PLUS button, and an additional display on the steering wheel which informs the driver if the SPORT buttons and
Launch Control have been acti- vated. The 911 Turbo models additionally offer the ‘overboost’ function. This is how it works:
When ‘Sport’ mode is selected, the engine management system creates a much more aggressive response to pedal inputs. To do this, it implements an alternative throttle map which relates the pedal position in the footwell to a wider angle of opening in the throttle body. In higher gears, it uses a hard rev-limiter to protect the engine under power.
In the 911 Turbo models, under full acceleration, the maximum boost pressure in the lower and medium speed ranges is now temporarily increased by approx- imately 0.2 bar. As a result, engine torque is boosted by 50 Nm
toamaximumof700Nmfora limited period. (The 911 Turbo S models are configured to operate with a higher boost pressure level, which means that their maximum torque is always 700 Nm.)
In addition to the engine, ‘Sport’ mode is enabled in the standard Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) suspension. The dampers become firmer, enabling faster turn-in as well as better contact with the road.
In automatic mode of PDK,
the basic gearshift pattern is switched to high-performance mode. The gear change action is virtually instantaneous, while the shift points are timed for maxi- mum acceleration. Lift off the throttle – even at high revs – and the system automatically shifts down to apply engine braking. In manual shift mode, gear chang- ing is faster and more dynamic.
Porsche Stability Management (PSM) is also adapted, with the intervention threshold raised. As a result, the car has a more natu- ral response to lateral and longi- tudinal forces. Cornering agility is greatly enhanced, when both
braking to turn in and applying power on exit – particularly
in low-speed bends. For even greater driving pleasure.
For maximum manoeuvrability, PSM can be partially disabled while the car is still in ‘Sport’ mode. PSM simply monitors the forces acting on the car and
will only intervene in the most critical scenarios, e.g. when ABS assistance is required on both front wheels.
In conjunction with PDK (standard on 911 Turbo S models), the Sport Chrono Package Turbo with dynamic engine mount system has two additional functions that
can be activated via the SPORT PLUS button, for a sporty drive that borders on a motorsport experience.
The first function is ‘Launch Control’, which, for example when performing laps, helps you achieve optimum acceleration from a standing start, a racing start in other words.
The function works like this: press the SPORT PLUS button when the transmission is in ‘D’
or ‘M’. Then, with your left foot, press the brake pedal and accel- erate fully with the right foot.
The car recognises ‘Launch’ mode from the accelerator kickdown
action and adjusts the engine speed to the optimum level, which is around 5,000 rpm. At the same time, boost pressure is increased to approximately 0.5 bar, engine torque is increased and the clutch is applied lightly. ‘Launch Control’ now appears in the steering wheel display. Now release the brake as quickly as you can – and feel the acceleration power unleashed to the road.”
Old 06-19-2019, 11:10 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Argh, this is hard!

Want the 6MT, but would prefer the .2. But .2 sticks are silly priced, imo. PDK is good, but will I get bored? No other sticks in the house. And in the .1, Sport Chrono doesn’t seem to be as useful? No sport plus mode. Still, almost all of them have it.

But Mezger? Love it? Or not as strong of a pull.

And PCCB’s...liability? Or desired feature?

Arrrrgh, Porsche you have so many options. Makes buying used so hard! Lol. Done so much research and read so many threads my mind is paralyzed. Lol.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:41 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Argh, this is hard!

Want the 6MT, but would prefer the .2. But .2 sticks are silly priced, imo. PDK is good, but will I get bored? No other sticks in the house. And in the .1, Sport Chrono doesn’t seem to be as useful? No sport plus mode. Still, almost all of them have it.

Arrrrgh, Porsche you have so many options. Makes buying used so hard! Lol. Done so much research and read so many threads my mind is paralyzed. Lol.
Only you can decide. But I’ll give you my perspective re pdk vs stick. My 2010 TT is pdk, my 2010 987.2 boxster s is stick. I’ve driven the boxster since new for 9 yrs. I drive to work every day about 30-40 min ~7 mi commute down the Kennedy (Chicago city north to downtown). Have driven stick since I learned to drive at age 15. I’m 40. The TT is my first non stick car. I drive the TT 4 days the boxster 1. I don’t miss the stick.

I drove boxster today to work and I felt a bit annoyed. I wish I was in my TT. The boxster felt like I was driving a 1988 Toyota Tercel with 85 hp. The difference in power is that dramatic and makes up for rowing gears in the boxster. The 991.1 and 991.2 pdk is better than the 997.2 platform—- smoother, faster, yada yada.

But for me the pdk is great. I note though that I drive the pdk in manual mode sport plus and suspension in normal. I click my own paddles and I feel like I’m in control. Like a stick with an optional auto thrown in.

Drive a pdk TT and decide for yourself. The 997.2 platform gives me enough of the ”rawness” the 991 platform lacked for me. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
charlie1 (09-06-2020)
Old 06-20-2019, 12:17 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

All I can add is that life without this fast, beautiful, easy to drive, great handling, amazing A/C, newer PCM, speed demon wouldn't be a life worth living. I never looked back after buying it and I certainly don't miss the other 2 911's I've owned for 1 second. I am not in love with the 991 looks enough to upgrade to a newer Turbo S and don't see any need for it. My friends would kill me as well. They say it doesn't look as good as mine. I'm totally biased but just get the 997.2 Turbo S and never look back, too, like me. You'll be SO GLAD you did. Unless you don't want one, then don't. But you know you do. Just do it, money be damned, sense be damned, 6 speeds be damned. They're cute and adorable as well.

charlie1 (09-06-2020)
Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 AM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Choosing the right one

Argh, this is hard!

Before commenting on your options questions, it would help if you stated your objectives, planned use for the car, and your strong wants as well as unnecessary oprions.

Regarding oprions there are really 4 easons to select individual options: 1) they will directly influence the way the car drives and matches to your planned use, 2) resale....certain options can make a car more desirable and easier to sell, 3) they'really cool or attractive and you just want them, 4) cost/value decision.

SC - really an almost expected option but much more important on a pdk, while somewhat irrelevant on 6spd .1, slightly more so on .2 6spd. From a practical standpoint, the overboost is a very shot duration bump and doubt you'll actually use it for the full duration very often. You can get a mild tune without any other changes and have more po

wer over a broader rpm range for under $2k....and it is a more satisfying experience. You can upgrade motor mounts and add GT 2 rear sway bar to provide a really great handling improvement for a $1000. Whether it is a .1 or .2 highly recommend the DSC suspension controller ~ $1200. So for roughly $4k you can not only achieve what a SC does but actually add more performance if that is what you want.

Note: on my 997.1tt 6spd the only performance related options I required was Axle Lock and SC. I then added a DSC and GT2 bar for improved handling and ride.... it is all the power and handling I need for a weekend thrill ride.

Brakes - ceramics look cool, have incredible stopping power and last forever on the street. Drawbacks, not ideal for a DD or lightly driven car....need heat to work right, can be grabby and different brake pedal feel...command a premium price, highly desirable but likely overkill 99% of the time, IMO.

.2 vs .1 - if pdk is required option then it is the .2. If the latest interior is required an 09 - 12 is the answer. If you want the Mezger then .1......but the DFI motor is great too. If you want "from the factory" all the performance and handling mods then the right optioned .2 . If you want even higher levels using aftmkt parts either model works. Lastly, if pdk is an option and you want a rocket ship , the 2TTS is the answer. Note: prices are commensurate with selected options and performance you choose.

Good hunting!
charlie1 (09-06-2020)
Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM
Dodaleca
Racer

Received 84 Likes on 45 Posts

2013 997.2 Turbo S for sale (they actually exist!) with 45,400 miles (73,000 km) for U$77,000 ($104k CDN) including CPO.

https://pfaffporsche.com/inventory/c...allic+18373219
Old 06-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by lflouie
Before commenting on your options questions, it would help if you stated your objectives, planned use for the car, and your strong wants as well as unnecessary oprions.
Car is not my daily driver. It's a weekend fun car. Driven in Houston, so there aren't a ton of fun roads to be found. Kind of why I enjoy the manual transmission. Won't be tracked at all. I've owned my C2S Cab for nearly 3 years now and have only put 10k miles on it. I think much of that is down to the fact that the car's gearing is really poor unless you are hard on it in the twisties. Then it helps keep you on boil between 2-3. And being an early 991, the steering is numb. It's just not as fun as it should be.

DSC was already the first mod I had planned, given the roads around here. In the 10,000 miles I've driven my 2013, I think less than 100 of those have had PSAM in Sport.

I would prefer the sport seats. Would also perfer the updated .2 interior bits and steering wheel, but as I said, .2 Manuals are scarce and way out of my price range (and honestly what I think the car is worth).
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts

[QUOTE=Needsdecaf;15920323]Car is not my daily driver. It's a weekend fun car. Driven in Houston, so there aren't a ton of fun roads to be found. Kind of why I enjoy the manual transmission. Won't be tracked at all. I've owned my C2S Cab for nearly 3 years now and have only put 10k miles on it. I think much of that is down to the fact that the car's gearing is really poor unless you are hard on it in the twisties. Then it helps keep you on boil between 2-3. And being an early 991, the steering is numb. It's just not as fun as it should be.

DSC was already the first mod I had planned, given the roads around here. In the 10,000 miles I've driven my 2013, I think less than 100 of those have had PSAM in Sport.

I would prefer the sport seats. Would also perfer the updated .2 interior bits and steering wheel, but as I said, .2 Manuals are scarce and way out of my price range (and honestly what I think the car is worth).[/
-----------------------------------------------------------

Candidly any 997tt 6spd will give you a fast, well handling and evolved driving experience. No need for expensive options and maybe only modest upgrades needed for a car that will provide miles of smiles. If concerned about .1 known vulnerabilities, coolant pipes, cam bushing, clutch slave/accumulator you can buy a Fidelity Platinum warranty for roughly $750- $900 per year depending on length of warranty that would cover all of these with a $100 or $250 co-pay.

Having previously lived in the flat lands of the midwest, I couldnt agree with you more, a 6 spd makes all of the difference on a weekend driver.
Old 06-20-2019, 05:51 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 355 Likes on 191 Posts

Argh, this is hard!

I'm about to sell my 997.2TTS. I will say this...I just bought a fantastic 993TT coupe, and if my 997.2TT fit me like the 993, then I wouldn't have bought the 993. The 993 really is more comfortable for me to drive, the seat especially. (5'9"-170lbs) I feel like the 993 is literally wrapped around me. So smooth, so peppy. I couldn't care less about MT, but shifting is fun. (In my case I don't put a lot of miles on the car so the shifting is more fun than burdensome). Also, I've always disliked the way the door in my 997 feels when I close it--the window movement makes the motion feel wrong. The 993 closes like a safe.

If you want raw friggin speed...seems like there are few substitutes for the .2TTS, fwiw.
Old 06-20-2019, 07:47 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Best iteration of the 997. Would buy one in a second if I had to do it all over again without any hesitation.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:04 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Reviving this thread.

I'm still looking / kicking tires but I have pretty much decided on a .2 with PDK. Now, to find the right one!

PDK issues. I've heard of some PDK issues, but were those limited to 2010 cars? If looking at an early build 2011 (i.e. Aug-Dec 2010), am I going to run into issues?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2020, 11:13 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 851 Likes on 434 Posts

Reviving this thread.

I'm still looking / kicking tires but I have pretty much decided on a .2 with PDK. Now, to find the right one!

PDK issues. I've heard of some PDK issues, but were those limited to 2010 cars? If looking at an early build 2011 (i.e. Aug-Dec 2010), am I going to run into issues?

Thanks.
Any car could have issues. Just find a car and buy one. Don't overthink it. They are bullet proof. I've had no issues with my car... none, in 4 years!
The following 2 users liked this post by Steve 96C4S:
Big Swole (01-02-2020), charlie1 (09-06-2020)
Old 01-02-2020, 11:17 AM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Any car could have issues. Just find a car and buy one. Don't overthink it. They are bullet proof. I've had no issues with my car... none, in 4 years!
OK, understand that. Just trying to stay away from known issues. I had heard early PDK's had issues.

Will be getting a PPI of course. Hopefully can find one close to home, getting tired of traveling miles for pre-owned cars! LOL.

Quick Reply: Going back in time....considering 2012 Turbo