Sponsored by:

Do You Manually Shift Your Automatic

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 11:17 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Do You Manually Shift Your Automatic

Four out of my five recent Porsche's have been automatics (PDK or Tip) with manual paddle shift capabilities (07 TT, 10 CGTS, 11 CTT, 11 TTS). My only true manual was my 09 TT cab that I still miss. I'm becoming bored with automatics and now wish I had a manual transmission which (IMO) adds a great deal of fun and driver involvement to the Porsche experience.

Due to always bad and congested traffic in the Wash DC and Northern VA area I seldom drive my Porsche's manually. It's now gotten to the point that I'm seriously considering purchasing a Ford Shelby GT350 with a 6MT for the fun and muscle car experience I miss. Short of that, what am I missing leaving my cars in automatic, do you use your paddles to shift your car manually, and is that a satisfactory compromise?

Last edited by 4ocious; 05-28-2019 at 08:25 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 11:48 AM
no-subt2
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, a PDK is efficient and easy to use; however, it lacks the driver engagement of using a stick shift with three pedals. I do not track my vehicles nor am I interested in 0-60 times. I like driving whether it be in slow traffic or around isolated curves, with me being involved in the driving experience as much as possible. I do even use cruise control. I do get why some people prefer the PDK but it is not for me; even though I know you can manually shift a PDK. And like you, I live in the Washington DC and Northern Virginia area. To have a true manual shift transmission is the only reason why I sold my 2009 911 C4S with PDK for a 2011 911 Turbo with a manual 6 speed. I am currently thinking about a older Ferrari with a gated shifter to get more of that driving feeling; but to go from a reliable and rational Porsche to a fragile and irrational Ferrari is another topic for discussion. Yes, if you are a stick shift person, then only a row your own with three pedals is the only way to go!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:17 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Canyon carving out West, manual shift. Most other roads and commute traffic, the Tip does a much better job.

Tip also does a better job keeping the revs up and boost on between gears.
Old 05-27-2019, 12:43 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:52 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I didn't used to, but after installing the 991.2 wheel in my tip I know do often.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:12 AM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The feedback from a PDK is totally different than the tiptronic - I have had a couple auto/slushbox cars recently with 'good' paddle-shifting (LBZ Duramax has a 6spd Allison, and my '16 CTS-V had GMs latest and greatest 8spd, the 8L90) and it never feels quite right. The PDK, especially when using the shifter rather than the paddles, 'feels' enough like a manual and is fast enough that it's enjoyable to play boy racer...I drive mine in Sport and M most of the time around town.

I still have a true 6spd (TR6060) in my RX7 but only because I haven't found a DCT that'll live with huge power. I'll take a proper dual-clutch sequential box any day over a 3rd pedal, but I would absolutely take a 3rd pedal over a Tiptronic for any sports car.
The following users liked this post:
Johndani (12-03-2020)
Old 05-28-2019, 09:55 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I'm convinced the PDK will do a way better job than I am capable of.

Back when there was still enthusiasm for the PDK and before the MT/PDK wars broke out...

https://flatsixes.com/cars/porsche-t...urbo-s-review/

"As for the PDK, the Turbo S comes standard with proper paddle shifters, not the much-maligned backward buttons of Gen 1 PDK. Ironically, you don’t need them. While they are fun to play with in sport mode and sports plus, you’ll go slower by using them.

The fact is, unless you have the reflexes and experience of Patrick Long, the PDK will shift faster than you can each and every time. Not only is it faster, it’s more precise.

Inevitably you’ll want to play with the shifters. The problem is it takes your attention away from the road. At the speeds this Porsche is capable of, that’s not a good thing."
Old 05-28-2019, 10:36 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 398 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by nzskater
I didn't used to, but after installing the 991.2 wheel in my tip I know do often.
Sorry to take this a little OT - this is just the info i am looking for.... any DIY's or things to look out for?

Much appreciated in Advance.

Simon
Old 05-28-2019, 11:49 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 11:12 AM.
Old 05-29-2019, 06:18 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Full Boost
Sorry to take this a little OT - this is just the info i am looking for.... any DIY's or things to look out for?

Much appreciated in Advance.

Simon
DIY for wheel swap here:
https://www.planet-9.com/reviews/Cay...heel-swap.html

Adapter for multi function and heated wheel (if the new wheel has either and you want them working) here: https://gpsadapter.us/products/stmv1
babylonboots (06-29-2019)
Old 05-29-2019, 06:20 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan
The feedback from a PDK is totally different than the tiptronic - I have had a couple auto/slushbox cars recently with 'good' paddle-shifting (LBZ Duramax has a 6spd Allison, and my '16 CTS-V had GMs latest and greatest 8spd, the 8L90) and it never feels quite right. The PDK, especially when using the shifter rather than the paddles, 'feels' enough like a manual and is fast enough that it's enjoyable to play boy racer...I drive mine in Sport and M most of the time around town.

I still have a true 6spd (TR6060) in my RX7 but only because I haven't found a DCT that'll live with huge power. I'll take a proper dual-clutch sequential box any day over a 3rd pedal, but I would absolutely take a 3rd pedal over a Tiptronic for any sports car.
No question that the slush box is laggy, slow to shift and not as engaging, but if you accept these things and understand how it's going to react it's perfectly usable and the overall experience of dropping a gear and passing someone at pace is comparable. And in the end while it's not as quick as a PDK, it's still quicker than a manual *flame suit on*
Old 05-31-2019, 08:45 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks everyone for your feedback. Some of you know I'm a CarMax advocate and check their website often for the Unicorn good deal. Well, it happened again. The posted a local black/black/white stripe loaded 2018 Shelby GT350R with 2K on the speedo for (IMO) $10-15K below current used national retail values. I say that because I did a lot of research and followed the market closely for months. Anyway, I paid the $149.00 transfer fee and I'm now waiting for the car to arrive. I hope it's everything I've been told and read; we'll see.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:49 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Thanks everyone for your feedback. Some of you know I'm a CarMax advocate and check their website often for the Unicorn good deal. Well, it happened again. The posted a local black/black/white stripe loaded 2018 Shelby GT350R with 2K on the speedo for (IMO) $10-15K below current used national retail values. I say that because I did a lot of research and followed the market closely for months. Anyway, I paid the $149.00 transfer fee and I'm now waiting for the car to arrive. I hope it's everything I've been told and read; we'll see.
Very curious what a mostly-new '18 goes for, a neighbor of mine has been on the search and is "waiting" for them to fall into the 40k's. Fun cars, but not a Turbo
Old 05-31-2019, 01:13 PM
rileyracing1
Three Wheelin'

Received 386 Likes on 275 Posts

I have it in my Cayenne and when compared to a manual there is no comparison .... In real world driving it's not practical and with Porsche's I have owned past and present I find the transmission when put back into auto tend to shift funny and prematurely for a few minutes until it almost feels like the transmission has relearned proper auto shifting sequence.

The only time I like manual mode is when i am stuck in traffic going up a steep hill or incline where M1 is better suited that having it in auto.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:18 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

All the time now. I think its better for the PDK trans as its not shifting as much if just left in automatic mode. I change like I would driving a stick shift, bit more rpms than auto mode.
Johndani (12-03-2020)

Quick Reply: Do You Manually Shift Your Automatic