Notices
997 Turbo Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only 2012 Turbo S owner that dreads scraping the front bumper everywhere?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 05:12 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I am glad that mine is not painted for that reason. I purchased the Aero Lip on Ebay for $100 and keep an extra one in the garage at all times. I have only replaced it once but it was scraped when I bought it. I go slow and angled and my scrapes are minimal. In Houston I would not want to drive one that is lowered and enjoy the stock ride height.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:44 AM
Goldstar
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Can’t avoid scraping every morning when entering underground garage at the office. My heart sinks every time. Not only scrapes, but also drags for about 3 seconds. I shave the bottom of the lip down periodically when it starts to Frey. The lip is a consumable and my car sits pretty low. But I do like the stance. After 7 years I just accept it.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:01 AM
digit3
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey now,

I think that we're all in the same boat! I just drive mine until it gets fugly and then replace. Like you, I can't imagine lowering it any further.

BTW, I'm in an 997.2 TTS and am a huge Deadhead
Old 05-19-2019, 03:37 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I've got an OEM aero lip on mine. Gets the occasional scrape here and there, but most are only visible when you're under the car. Ground the edge down when stuck on a one way street and forced to exit over a steep speed bump, so took it in for a respray and now it looks brand new again. Will just pay the $100 every 12-24 months and get it touched up.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:40 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

Carbon fiber lip and lowered on mine. Gotta love that scraping on almost anything in the road. Last night coming home they were repaving the interstate and had those "bump" signs every mile. Talk about o crap moments trying to navigate those dips going 50 plus in my car. You would have thought I was drinking at the wide angles I was trying to hit those
Old 05-19-2019, 07:24 PM
texasnoiz
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

sitting in garage is a crime unless it's a weather issue!

too bad they don't make a front end lift kit - like what Lambo / Ferrari have - surprised Porsche engineers are asleep on this issue.

My car is getting the Agency power diffuser and lip.

I'd drive my car more if the parts of town I have to work in didn't have such crap roads - being lowered on 19's.

Originally Posted by 4ocious
Unfortunately mine just sits in my garage with a cover on it so I haven't had that problem lately - time to sell I think.
Old 05-19-2019, 09:16 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by digit3
Hey now,

I think that we're all in the same boat! I just drive mine until it gets fugly and then replace. Like you, I can't imagine lowering it any further.

BTW, I'm in an 997.2 TTS and am a huge Deadhead
Yes, I meant the lip scraping, not the bumper. Thanks everyone for your responses. I didn't realize it would only cost like... $100-200 to fix this once every year or 2. I thought they'd have to repaint it, and then redo the Expel and the Expel alone would be $200 or so? In any case, I'll just let it roll then and not worry about it. I guess I'm in the same boat as many of you are, then. Whenever it scrapes I cringe and get mad at myself and the situation, like... maybe I should have seen this coming or maybe I could have somehow avoided it by being even more careful than I am, but really... I'm SO CAREFUL about this stuff and kind of drive my car like a baby much of the time to avoid situations like this. When they happen, they literally couldn't have been avoided. Recently, at a Hampton Inn in Ocean City MD, I pulled into it's parking lot that was on a much higher plain and angle than the street and it scraped and I thought... dammit, I should have seen this and tried to maybe pull in at even more of an angle or just not pulled into this lot at all and parked on the side street or something. I was bumming for a while over this. That's crazy, right? We can't drive perfectly. These cars are going to scrape on the lip now and then.

(Oh, and Digit3, these pics are for you below: 135 Grateful Dead shows and 65 Jerry Garcia Band shows later, I still love their music and take my Porsche to many shows a year by similar types of Dead bands all over the region. I kept every stub from every show I went to from back in the day.

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 05-20-2019 at 12:12 AM.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:55 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Just FYI the regular Turbo scrapes as well.
Old 05-20-2019, 03:50 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by texasnoiz
...too bad they don't make a front end lift kit - like what Lambo / Ferrari have - surprised Porsche engineers are asleep on this issue.
https://www.design911.co.uk/mobile/#...tegory-id=1313

Cargraphic make one, as well as a few other companies. Definitely options out there.

Last edited by nzskater; 05-20-2019 at 04:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:10 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

I have Eibachs and front carbon fiber tech art lip. No scratches yet but I avoid all of the Dade County(Miami) roads. I stay up north in Broward County. Seems the roads are newer and better suited for my car. I avoid at all possible from driving down past that county line. Want no part of it.
Old 05-23-2019, 11:05 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

I Love the painted lips but this is the reason I'm glad my TTS only has the black unpainted lip.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:12 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
135 Grateful Dead shows and 65 Jerry Garcia Band shows later, I still love their music and take my Porsche to many shows a year by similar types of Dead bands all over the region. I kept every stub from every show I went to from back in the day.

Perhaps some Jerry approved wheels for your car ?

Quick Reply: Am I the only 2012 Turbo S owner that dreads scraping the front bumper everywhere?