997.1 Turbo Tiptronic purchase and transportation

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Armando-MN
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo Tiptronic purchase and transportation

Hello All,

I am new member and potentially purchasing a 2007 911 Turbo Tiptronic with around 28K miles.
The car is being sold by a BMW dealership in Atlanta, GA
I assume it was a trade in and according to the dealer it just needed new tires which they agreed to replace.

My plan is to fly to Atlanta from Minneapolis tomorrow and drive the car back home ~1000 miles.

I work on my own cars so I feel confident doing an inspection and catching anything major that the dealership has not disclosed but somehow I am still worried about getting stranded along the way by a 12 year old car.
The Carfax report shows a good service history and no major repairs other than maintenance, so I am trying to convince myself I should not be worried.
Has anybody driven their 10~15 year old Porsches for 1000 miles or more?
How has your experience been driving long distances?

Thanks,
Armando
Old 04-11-2019, 05:07 PM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked my car up from salt lake city and drove to los angeles about a year ago. I bought mine with 70k miles. It replaced my f80 m3 as my daily and it has proven rock solid. Now i jave 87k miles and just 2 oil changes and plugs and coils as preventative maintenance.

The only thing i asked the seller to do was new oil and filter. I noticed that these weekend cars often have flat spotted tires from sitting too long, especially in these hot states. That makes for an uncomfortable drive home.

Best of luck and enjoy!
Old 04-11-2019, 05:47 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 04-11-2019, 05:56 PM
Armando-MN
AutoX

All great feedback! Thanks!

Makes me feel much better, I do believe they are really good cars, just maybe I am a little paranoid.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:21 PM
Dguth
Rennlist Member

Received 175 Likes on 90 Posts

The only thing that would worry me is wondering how long the car has sat without being driven. These cars needed to be driven and those with low mileage typically just sit. This leads to coolant leaks and other deterioration. As long as you inspect it well it should be fine.
Old 04-11-2019, 06:42 PM
Terry Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 879 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by Armando-MN
Hello All,
Has anybody driven their 10~15 year old Porsches for 1000 miles or more?
How has your experience been driving long distances?

Thanks,
Armando
Every other year cross country round trip. Plus some canyon carving in the western states along the way.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:24 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I drove 2,008 miles from Portland to Dallas with center locks and P-Zeros and even did a mountain pass during a snowstorm.

3 days and added ~ 20% more miles to the total on the car. I regretted doing it until someone in the 997 forum posted the damage their car suffered during paid professional transport.

Enjoy the drive and take some common sense items, blankets, led flashers (like bicycles have), flashlights, water, nutrition bars, basic tools, slime repair kit for punctures, a AAA card for flat bedding, firearm, etc, and know the laws for each state you're driving through with respect to transporting a firearm.

https://www.gunstocarry.com/gun-laws-state/ or the book https://gunlawbook.com/
Old 04-11-2019, 07:43 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default New car

I'd suggest getting a PPI at the local Porsche dealer so that we any issues can be noted before the drive, just in case there is something that should be fixed before the drive. It will also give you some piece of mind and provide DME report. Suggest arranging with dealer to have it PPI at your expense before the purchase.

Last edited by lflouie; 04-12-2019 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-12-2019, 04:54 AM
earlyapex
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 32 Posts

Make sure the original tires are not on the car.
Old 04-12-2019, 11:45 AM
Atl991
3rd Gear

Armando - I'm actually in Atlanta, and recently purchased my 997 Turbo with 50k miles on it at the beginning of February. If it's a clean car, there's absolutely no need to be worried about it. I've owned a good number of high performance vehicles, and I really haven't experienced the degree of engineering that goes into these cars. Feels like it could go for another 100k miles if well kept. Worst case scenario, if you pick up the vehicle and something seems off, take it straight to Solo Motorsports in the metro area. Amazing Porsche techs.

Which dealership are you looking at? I can tell you my experience, as I have purchased several BMWs in the metro Atlanta area. Congrats!

Also, there's a great show happening tomorrow if you're in the area, at Autohaus Social on the Beltline in Atlanta - Featured Marque is the 911 this year! Come by and see "Stella" to celebrate -

Old 04-14-2019, 07:38 AM
Armando-MN
AutoX

Thanks everyone for the replies. I made it back home safely after covering 1000 miles in the last two days.
I picked up the car from United BMW in Atlanta and drove back to Minneapolis. Car was in great shape, only issue was a squeaky belt but eventually it quieted down after driving on the second day. I did ask the dealer to put new tires on the car, so drove back with a brand new set of Pilot Sport 4S.
Hardest part of the drive was staying under the speed limits!
It is such an amazing machine. It is a Tiptronic, which is maybe not as good as the manual in terms of fun but for driving in the highway the Tiptronic is so much easier.
I can finally say that my childhood dream of owning a Porsche finally came true.

Thanks,
Armando
Old 04-14-2019, 08:11 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Atl991
Come by and see "Stella" to celebrate -
Great looking car - this scene finally makes sense to me.... Brando really wanted Stella too.

Old 04-14-2019, 08:56 PM
Armando-MN
AutoX

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I tried posting yesterday but not sure why it does not show up. Anyway, I made it back home safely and it was a great trip!

Covered just over 1000 miles in two days. First day traveled 200 miles just after picking up the car in Atlanta. And covered 800 miles the second day. Had to hurry up to avoid getting my wife too upset with me.....

The car worked great, I inspected it and asked the dealer lots of questions which they were able to answer. It was a trade in from a friend of the General Manager that switched it for a 2018 BMW M5 (shame on him!). Coincidentally he also purchased the car from the General Manager last year, so the General Manager knew the car well.
Only little issue was a squeaky belt, which quieted down after driving during the second day.
The hardest part about the trip was staying under the speed limit. These 911 turbos are an Engineering marvel and really shine when you push the car, even if only briefly because in a few seconds you are already at the speed limit.
One curious thing I want to mention is that I have owned many different types of cars and this is the only car that reminds me more of an airplane instead of other cars. The turbos spooling sound like a jet taking off and the rear wing lifts up making it feel like the car is about to take off!

Some details about the car, it is GT silver with Tiptronic and just below 28K miles. Has an aftermarket intake (fabspeed) but everything else seems stock.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice!

The car is now in Minneapolis. Hopefully I will keep it for many years to come.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on your new TT purchase. Would like to see pictures and the build sheet when you get settled. I am in the market for a 997.1 TT, so it is nice to see someone so happy with their new car.

Last edited by SoCal RJ; 04-14-2019 at 11:20 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:16 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 09-09-2020 at 08:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo Tiptronic purchase and transportation