Sponsored by:

Those with water/meth..

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 12:11 PM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Those with water/meth..

I have never ran a setup with water/ meth before. I am looking at getting a snow performance kit, can anyone provide some input on where you have placed the pump and reservoir? At first glance I cannot see how they would fit comfortably in the engine bay, Would a good place to put them be behind and above the rear seats? I know I want to do a post turbo injection point can the nozzle install be done with the engine in the car?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:13 PM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

I've installed systems in my other 2 cars but not the Porsche. I would at least look into Aquamist, a very nice system. I installed a Snow Performance system in one car and ended up replacing it with an Aquamist. I'm assuming you would be installing the jets in the Y pipe, so you could remove the pipe to tap the holes for the jets. The frunk would be a reasonable place for the reservoir and pump. My 0.02c. Good luck!
Old 04-04-2019, 10:15 PM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Originally Posted by ECB
I've installed systems in my other 2 cars but not the Porsche. I would at least look into Aquamist, a very nice system. I installed a Snow Performance system in one car and ended up replacing it with an Aquamist. I'm assuming you would be installing the jets in the Y pipe, so you could remove the pipe to tap the holes for the jets. The frunk would be a reasonable place for the reservoir and pump. My 0.02c. Good luck!
What happened with the snow kit that you had to replace?

I have also been told that the methanol will eat at the bushing in the throttle body and I will eventually wear it out. Anyone have experience with this?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:42 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

I had installed the Aquamist in my 997.1TT Tiptronic. I live and drive in and around Mumbai, India. Hot place. I had put the reservoir in the front boot. I was running two 1mm nozzles going into the Y pipe installed just before the Y pipe joins to meet the throttle body. The tune was programmed to spray ONLY on boost and not other wise and that "if" the reservoir got empty, the boost would not come on at all. But that was how the tune was designed. The system worked flawlessly. i have noticed IAT drop from 55 degrees centigrade to 30 degrees centigrade with one spray cycle of about 4-5 seconds and STAY at those levels for at least 5 minutes. I have never used Methanol. Hence cannot comment.
Old 04-05-2019, 04:42 PM
ECB
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ShatterPoints
What happened with the snow kit that you had to replace?
I wasn't impressed with the quality. This was many yrs ago so things may have improved.
Old 04-09-2019, 03:32 AM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RajuPatel
I have never used Methanol. Hence cannot comment.
You mean you only run water, no meth?
Old 04-09-2019, 05:25 AM
RajuPatel
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 30 Posts

Yes. only water. The idea being to cool down the IAT's. I live and drive in Mumbai and around in India. The ambient temperature is about 32 degrees centigrade now. The other reason reason for not using Meth is due to it's corrosive nature.
Old 04-10-2019, 06:42 PM
cjoy911
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A popular place I saw when I was looking into picking up a water/meth inject set up is the frunk area. A little more involved since you have to route water/electrical further from the engine. Check mine out below, can also find my thread on this forum somewhere about it.

I too also looked at snow performance at first, but ended up going with aquamist. My research just kept telling me that aquamist part quality and design is good. Also, the snow performance (at the time I was researching, I also contacted them about it) did not have any fail safe. Aquamist system can detect flow rate and reservoir level and pull back boost (timing too i think) if something is not right. Downside to aquamist is long lead time for order, took a month or two to get, and tech support is in the UK.

Old 04-12-2019, 09:35 PM
vipertom 1970
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

run it on boost juice.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:59 AM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have never ran a setup with water/ meth before. I am looking at getting a snow performance kit, can anyone provide some input on where you have placed the pump and reservoir? At first glance I cannot see how they would fit comfortably in the engine bay, Would a good place to put them be behind and above the rear seats? I know I want to do a post turbo injection point can the nozzle install be done with the engine in the car?
Reservoirs usually going to be in the 'frunk', unless you want that in the rear seat area (I wouldn't).
Pump can be in the frunk by the reservoir, or possibly in the engine bay, but it'd be tight. Most I've seen are in the front with tubing ran back to the nozzles.
Yes, you should definitely install the nozzles post-turbo (and post-intercooler). Easiest spot is in the y-pipe right before the throttle body.
You absolutely do not need to remove the engine to install a meth kit.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:47 PM
ShatterPoints
Instructor

Originally Posted by gsxrjjordan
Reservoirs usually going to be in the 'frunk', unless you want that in the rear seat area (I wouldn't).
Pump can be in the frunk by the reservoir, or possibly in the engine bay, but it'd be tight. Most I've seen are in the front with tubing ran back to the nozzles.
Yes, you should definitely install the nozzles post-turbo (and post-intercooler). Easiest spot is in the y-pipe right before the throttle body.
You absolutely do not need to remove the engine to install a meth kit.
What about throttle body wear? I was told they can go as soon as 12 months with lots of driving.
Old 04-17-2019, 06:26 PM
gsxrjjordan
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What about throttle body wear? I was told they can go as soon as 12 months with lots of driving.
I've seen anecdotal info on that here, but I guess haven't looked hard enough for real threads on it. The other option would be to tap the plenum behind the throttle body, just harder to get at.
Ideally you'd tap the runners themselves with small nozzles just to make sure each cylinder gets the same amount, but that's even more work and creates a bit of a plumbing mess under the plenum.
Old 04-17-2019, 07:33 PM
Ttz06vette
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 159 Posts

Been running meth for 12 years with zero throttle body wear

Quick Reply: Those with water/meth..