Sponsored by:

Got to Play Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 01:50 PM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 366 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I have nothing against Miata owners other than this tongue in cheek humor about them being girls cars. Lighten up Francis.
No worries, Sgt. Hulka - if I was any lighter, I'd float away.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:34 PM
MIKe30
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
There's definitely a hypocrisy and irony about all of this. No single good or bad actor is going to change the Porsche persona. Even 4 cyl 912, 914 and 924 drivers get the porcupine flack. I know I did. In reality, there's no talking it down. It is what it is.
Please do tell, where’s the hypocrisy and irony?

And there’s a reason I said part of the problem is some of the owners that feed the elitist stereotype. The other part of the problem is envy/jealousy of people that mismanage their wealth, or refuse to work hard, or simply don’t understand a used Porsche can be more affordable than their brand new fully loaded Honda Odyssey minivan.

I live in a relatively affluent community where I literally see more X5’s than I do Honda Civics. Anyone in south Florida can pretty much tell you Porsche’s are on every corner and certainly not the most expensive cars you’ll see during your daily commute. All that said, my wife refuses to drive to or even be dropped off at work in the Turbo. She knows she would never hear the end of it from her co-workers - and it’s a 10 year old car now! Pretty crummy to think you work so hard and sacrifice a lot to save while on modest means, only to not be able to enjoy what you’ve worked for without being harassed or judged by others. I suppose that’s a topic for another conversation, I digress...
Old 03-18-2019, 05:52 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

MIata's are excellent autocross cars. My buddy has driven one for years. Anyone can screw up any car, both by what they do to it and how they drive it (including a 911).

I generally keep a positive outlook on things, but I am sure I would have grimaced if I heard some loud exhaust on a car that wasn't set for performance circling around.

I probably don't belong in this group financially. I scraped and saved for years for this car. I do almost all of my own mechanical work, my other vehicles are just as old or older (one's turning 24 this year) than the 911. At the same time, those years driving GTI's and 16V Scirocco's and Audi's all have led me to where I am now. Of course it was driving my dad's leased 911's when I was 14 - 24 that sealed the deal for my inspirational vehicle.

Almost everyone who notices the car has nice things to say, and I always am gracious and have nice things to say back, whether they are driving a Challenger, a vette, a stang or whatever. Of course I am in SE PA a but outside of Philly, so not a lot of these beasts around.

Ed
Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Everyone in here at some time or another has talked "Smack" about someone else's ride over their years. I bet most of us have referred to Boxsters / Caymans as "girls cars" before. I have but in a joking manner.. But guess what, Before I bought my 996TT and then my 997TTS, I bought an 08 Cayman and loved it. It was just too slow for my taste.

Heck, when I had my 06 RAM 4x4 Quad Cab street truck that made 1050 WHP / 1700 WTQ and ran mid 10's in the 1/4, I used to pick on Porsches and other exotics and talk smack about them too!! But in a fun joking way. Now I own one of the same cars I used pick on.

I don't think MexicoBlue was being an "A$$". I just know how some folks can be in there "hot rodded" loud exhaust cars too.

For the record, I tried not to judge folks and what they're into / drive. But we all know how "Stereotypes" scream out sometimes.

Quick Reply: Got to Play Yesterday