Sponsored by:

Got to Play Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:36 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Got to Play Yesterday

Yesterday we actually had a nice day in Northern VA so I decided to take my TTS out for exercise. I was returning home when a red late model Ferrari coupe (I don't know which model because they all look alike to me - sorry) entered traffic next to me. He shot by me and as he did gave me the "look". I just couldn't let that happen especially with my fellow drivers looking on. So, Sport "on", PSM in "sport", wing "up" I quickly changed lanes and got on his horse. He took the bait and off we went. No doubt he was a good driver and his car was fast but I had no trouble staying with him. Traffic was moderate to heavy so it didn't last very long. Just enough to let him (and me too) know that a TTS can't be pushed around by anyone, no matter who you are and what you're driving. Anyway, I let him go and he kept weaving in and out of traffic until I lost sight of him. Then a Lambo pulled up behind me but it was too late because I was nearly home and in heavy urban traffic so I passed on that opportunity.

I guess the lesson here is, there's a Ferrari and a Lambo in Northern VA! Who would have guessed?
Old 03-17-2019, 02:36 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

I was lost looking for an address the other day, and a grown man (or at least a boy the size of one) kept circling my parked car in a Miata with little to no exhaust.

What kind of idiot drives a girl's car and then draws attention to the fact by having an exhaust that needs to be stuffed full with Tampax.

Perhaps if he looked in the glove box or his purse?
Old 03-17-2019, 03:18 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ WTF? A Miata's a fine vehicle. Lightweight, good weight distribution, great chassis, and a strong aftermarket. You can frequently see them passing 911s on race tracks across the country. (Mostly due to driver experience differences, granted, but still!)
Old 03-17-2019, 03:23 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

I love Miatas.
Old 03-17-2019, 04:06 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 03-17-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:10 AM
MIKe30
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I was lost looking for an address the other day, and a grown man (or at least a boy the size of one) kept circling my parked car in a Miata with little to no exhaust.

What kind of idiot drives a girl's car and then draws attention to the fact by having an exhaust that needs to be stuffed full with Tampax.

This is part of the reason why the general public paint all Porsche owners in a negative light with the same brush.

The kid was admiring your car, so what. If you don’t like the attention then wrap it or trade it in for a color that doesn’t scream look at me...
Old 03-18-2019, 11:46 AM
USNA12
Banned

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MIKe30

This is part of the reason why the general public paint all Porsche owners in a negative light with the same brush.

The kid was admiring your car, so what. If you don’t like the attention then wrap it or trade it in for a color that doesn’t scream look at me...
Last time I was at Tail of the Dragon in the Turbo, I had a really nice conversation with a kid in an old and very beat up Miata. We took a few passes up and down the mountain and I swear I saw his rear tires fish out over the edge of the road almost trying to keep up with me. I have nothing against the Miata and I am sure the kid was doing what any of us who didn't grow up with money or in a good family situation did, lusting over the beautiful piece of machinery that you're lucky enough to afford.

Like Mike said, don't be an elitist douchebag
Old 03-18-2019, 11:52 AM
V999
Rennlist Member

Received 327 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS

What kind of idiot judges people's intelligence level based on their perceived gender-correctness of a car? Nevermind. Everyone's entitled to their opinion.

I don't own one, but could see owning one in the future. By all accounts, they're great cars that provide great fun for a very low cost. Guess I must be a girly-man.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:16 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

I have nothing against Miata owners other than this tongue in cheek humor about them being girls cars. Lighten up Francis.

I get the 'slow cars fast' thing and the idea of having an affordable beater one can abuse. My real thorn here is that the car was making sounds of a 400+ hp car while barely reaching 60 faster than a VW bus and of a guy that was clueless he was punching above his weight.

I'm proud of my car, the 997s and Porsche in general. I take pride when they set records with the 919 and against the competition like Sebring this weekend.

We all feel this way or we would be over in the Ferrari or Miata forums gloating.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 772 Posts

I’ll bet that yellow TTS encourages other drivers to play! You’re not going to miss your car in traffic!
Old 03-18-2019, 12:21 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:24 PM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 07-11-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Pmorritt
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 67 Posts

i have to admit ive been caught up a few times in that silliness before i acquired my P. Vettes, Mustangs ( Shelby GT500) and the like. But, nowadays I’m satisfied with the knowledge of what my can can do, so i save my internal satisfaction for open roads or tracks to put a smile on my face. Perhaps i’m just getting older?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:47 PM
TeeJayHoward
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ Same here. These days the only time I put the hammer down is when passing a truck or line of cars on some two-lane blacktop out in the boonies.

...Okay, I MAY still be immature enough to go full-throttle when a red light turns green. But I stop at the speed limit and I never squeal tires and I don't bounce it off the redline. So... Maybe I'm half-mature?
Old 03-18-2019, 01:37 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

It probably comes from the 90s where I owned a series of RX7s which can be modified by porting into absolute monsters.

There's definitely a hypocrisy and irony about all of this. No single good or bad actor is going to change the Porsche persona. Even 4 cyl 912, 914 and 924 drivers get the porcupine flack. I know I did. In reality, there's no talking it down. It is what it is.

Secondly, this isn't the Miata or Boxster forum. Most everyone here made a choice based on their childhood desires, their current tastes, their perception of value in themselves and of material objects. It's an emotional decision backed by rationalizations to buy a 997 turbo. "I'm worth it" "Ive earned it" "An equally performing (fill in the blank) isn't MY thing" "plastic dashes don't cut it" For most of us this car is important to us in that we took the time to earn the money, learn what we wanted and got it. We do that across the board; clothing, watches, wine, scotch (hell yes I will make fun of your umbrella drink), wives, homes, etc.

Lastly I should have fleshed out the situation a little better, the young adult, not a kid but behaving like a teenager, was circling the entire downtown neighborhood with the loudest exhaust I've ever heard for several minutes. Revving his engine out in each gear while barely making any forward progress. To have engaged him would have given him credibility he didn't deserve, possibly put me on the hook when some POS equipment choice he made failed and crashed into innocents, and like others have stated, this stuff belongs on a racetrack, when passing trucks on the open highway and in the rolling start to speed limit play we're all guilty of.

Let it drift. This all reminds me of a time when my wife was upset that I didn't make the effort to lay her panties out flat when they came out of the washer. I had to make the obvious point "So you're saying your panties are in a bunch because your panties are in a bunch?"

Quick Reply: Got to Play Yesterday