Sponsored by:

PAINTING THE WHEELS

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 03:48 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts
Default PAINTING THE WHEELS

I want to refresh my wheels, and they have been painted before but time hasn't be good on them. I think the clear coat used wasn't up to par.
Anyway, would it be better to sandblast the wheels or acid treatment to get the paint off?
This time I'm getting them powder coated like I should have done the first time, and I really want a perfect finish.
Anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks
Old 01-31-2019, 02:40 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 110 Posts

I think media/bead blasting would do the trick. Sand blasting might mar the surface a bit.

When painting, if you do powder coat make sure the shop that does it uses a powder that cures at low temp, as apparently curing at over 300°F for longer than 15 mins (or some such) can damage the integrity of the alloy and result in cracks or complete failure.

The paint and panel shop local to me paints wheels and uses a specific additive and top coat to harden it to make it more durable. I had Arrow Wheels in Auckland paint my track set and they ended up chipping almost immediately, so wouldn't use them again, but apparently they don't use the additive?

Also, the OEM clear coat is thick as hell but seems to peel where it gets chipped. You might find that yours haven't been painted?
Old 02-01-2019, 01:08 AM
911.Forever
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

Definitely locate a wheel shop that specializes in paint and powder coat. I wouldn't take contract a body shop or a powder coating shop that does not specialize in wheels, or you could be in for purchasing new shoes.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:49 AM
993MAN
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I might have to shop around for someone that knows exactly what they are doing.
Last thing I want is a mess.

Quick Reply: PAINTING THE WHEELS