Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Time for decision

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 09:44 AM
cjcam930
Rennlist Member

Received 188 Likes on 80 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! I agree, these cars can be good 'stress relief' before or after work!
Old 01-12-2019, 10:45 AM
Carlos4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 466 Likes on 125 Posts

Last edited by Carlos4S; 09-09-2020 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:50 AM
Gate
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the warm welcome!

I will revert to you with some nice pictures of the car and my beautiful region. Now it is snowing a lot so it may take a while. In the meantime I take advantage to this post to have if possible your opinions about the bi-turbos reliabilty didn't see a lot of post about problems or issues about it, seems to a good sign.

What your thoughts ?
Old 01-14-2019, 12:02 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

The turbos themselves are pretty solid. You should make sure the actuator linkage is not corroded or rusted which will prevent the actuators from operating the variable vanes correctly. There is a service bulletin on this. If you can't find it let me know and I will look for you.

For other items, there are really only 3 issues with the car:

1. Coolant pipes - Plastic elbows will fail at some point. Replace them with Sharwerks metal replacements either before or when this happens. There have been reports of the glue holding fittings on the coolant manifolds letting loose, but this seems to be a 2007 MY issue so your model year should be fine.
2. VarioCams - again, more an issue with MY 2007 where the insert of the cam will rotate out of synch with the cam. I don't recall seeing anyone with an '08 reporting this, but I could be mistaken
3. Clutch assist - more of a personal preference thing, but the power assist clutch hydraulics are annoying to me

The cam and cooling issues do not seem to be reported by everyone, so your driving style and other variables will factor in to whether you experience them or not as well as the model year of your car. For me, I have had the plastic elbows fail and will address the elbows, glued fittings and clutch assist when I drop the engine this winter.

One final note: If you have PASM, getting a DTC unit would be a major upgrade with no real work involved, just plug and play.

Other than that, properly maintained these are bulletproof engines. Enjoy!

Ed
Old 01-14-2019, 01:22 PM
Gate
Track Day

Originally Posted by lliejk
The turbos themselves are pretty solid. You should make sure the actuator linkage is not corroded or rusted which will prevent the actuators from operating the variable vanes correctly. There is a service bulletin on this. If you can't find it let me know and I will look for you.

For other items, there are really only 3 issues with the car:

1. Coolant pipes - Plastic elbows will fail at some point. Replace them with Sharwerks metal replacements either before or when this happens. There have been reports of the glue holding fittings on the coolant manifolds letting loose, but this seems to be a 2007 MY issue so your model year should be fine.
2. VarioCams - again, more an issue with MY 2007 where the insert of the cam will rotate out of synch with the cam. I don't recall seeing anyone with an '08 reporting this, but I could be mistaken
3. Clutch assist - more of a personal preference thing, but the power assist clutch hydraulics are annoying to me

The cam and cooling issues do not seem to be reported by everyone, so your driving style and other variables will factor in to whether you experience them or not as well as the model year of your car. For me, I have had the plastic elbows fail and will address the elbows, glued fittings and clutch assist when I drop the engine this winter.

One final note: If you have PASM, getting a DTC unit would be a major upgrade with no real work involved, just plug and play.

Other than that, properly maintained these are bulletproof engines. Enjoy!

Ed
Great infos thanks!

It good to know that except for some points, the car is very solid.

May I ask your where to look for the bulletin info? I have taken a wide pieces and work insurance for the car for one year from now, the prolongation of the last owner insurance. This one is pretty expensive (as everything here :-) but make me feel more confortable about prospective issue. Could worth the price, for example with the last owner due to a dead pixel, the pcm1 has been entirety changed, not sure about the price but probably around 5k pay by the insurance (the pcm was cover with cocoa leather).

about dtc unit no idea what it is, I will have a look on google. Have a good day
Old 01-14-2019, 01:46 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

Here is the PDF of that bulletin.

Ed

Attached Images
Old 01-16-2019, 02:05 AM
Gate
Track Day

Originally Posted by lliejk
Here is the PDF of that bulletin.

Ed
Thank you lliejk !

Some good news I think, I just received a copy of the last Porsche bill from the previous owner. It's in german with quite some technical words but it seems that they adressed a leak regarding (google translate) Crankshaft seal and something regarding one of the "klimacondensator".

I'm going to call the OP to make it clear but those last repairs may have fixed one or both of the major issues that can be encounter with 997tt., what do you think ?

Have a good day.
Frederic

Old 01-16-2019, 02:09 AM
Gate
Track Day

Originally Posted by Porscheholic

Here's a photo of my 997TT...
Definitely a very nice car, love it. Except I would change the window sticker with a Lambo killer one :-)
Old 01-16-2019, 06:56 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the "klimacondensator" refers to the air-conditioning unit, not the cooling pipes for the turbos.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:58 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Can't change the window stickers - Ohio State University and University of Illinois Chicago - both very personal to me!
Old 01-17-2019, 03:31 PM
997turbocab
Burning Brakes

Received 179 Likes on 125 Posts

I love the wheels!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:04 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Thanks 997turbocab - I got those recently (HRE forged wheels) as part of the upgrades I did in November.
Old 01-19-2019, 12:29 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Yes, you did the right thing by getting this car. For most of us, we were nervous too about spending "this much" to get our 911 Turbos. But we did and most of us were darn happy we did. LOVE MY silver one, like you'll love yours. I never, ever get tired of it.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:53 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

That's a great color combination!
Old 01-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Gate
Track Day

Hello!

picked the car yesterday, I’m a happy man the car is gorgeous and drives so well. For my first ride I was very careful as it got summer tires and the temperature was below 0C•. Today even if the temperature wasn’t perfect took it for an other drive and push it a bit harder. Love the acceleration even when you’re in 6th gear you just push a bit and fffffw the car behind you doesn’t understand what happened. The gearbox is perfect, the pcm is crap and the Bose quite deceptive but who cares :-)

The GT silver color gives imao amazing shades of color, The full cocoa leather package gives a very classy feeling and smell, love the alcantara roof top and it is so nice to be able to bring the whole family with me !

Now the queen car is washed, all the road salt eliminated and parked inside ctek modulator module activated.

Cant wait for this spring and summer.

Quick Reply: Time for decision