Sponsored by:

Newbie - thoughts on this 08 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 08:28 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 584 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by Vbjoseph
I am looking to get my first Porsche and have been looking at 997.1TT for about 4-5 months. Wanted to get your thoughts on this one i found at carmax

https://www.carmax.com/car/16101586?...um=AppShareiOS

The $66k price tag seemed reasonable considering it’s a manual. Also has ceramic brakes.
I agree, assuming you get a PPI and things check out it looks like a good price. Any of them over 30K miles starting taking resell hits and at 40K they can get much more accessible. I like the PCCB's, that was on my shopping list but ended up buying a 20K mileage car without them. Fyi, I paid $85K for mine.
Old 12-21-2018, 01:29 PM
strato58
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 75 Posts

Nice car and price! Congrats! PCCB's are great!
Old 12-21-2018, 07:15 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

Take a look at earlier threads, there was a similar post about similar car. I could be wrong but double check. I feel like it was 2-4 weeks ago.
Old 12-21-2018, 08:22 PM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ruskiy
Take a look at earlier threads, there was a similar post about similar car. I could be wrong but double check. I feel like it was 2-4 weeks ago.
good memory! I was able to find the other thread. it was someone mentioning that Carmax had this and a couple of other interesting Porsche’s for sale. Phew. Thought it might have been some info saying there was something wrong with the car
Old 12-21-2018, 09:21 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 200 Likes on 133 Posts

good memory! I was able to find the other thread. it was someone mentioning that Carmax had this and a couple of other interesting Porsche’s for sale. Phew. Thought it might have been some info saying there was something wrong with the car
Ah sorry, didn’t mean to raise a false alarm. Just meant to say be vigilant.
Old 12-23-2018, 12:06 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,884 Likes on 1,534 Posts

@Vbjoseph , I didn't mention it in the other thread (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...nd-14-tts.html) where I was giving you the rundown of the car from when I had it reserved and inspected it, but it appears to have a stock exhaust and stock suspension. I didn't look closely at the tips, but cans and piping are all 100% oem and the car still has the (very high) stock ride height.

I also visually inspected the PCCB rotors for cracks and chips and checked the visible wear indicators and didn't see anything concerning. Spoiler also functioned properly, no signs of leaks.

For those that didn't check out the other thread, those are Vossen wheels in 20" diameter and with an incorrect rear offset... Not my cup of tea design-wise either, but most of the car checked out well. If it was a coupe instead of a cab, I think I would have grabbed it and immediately replaced those fugly vossens with either OEM or more desirable aftermarket wheels. Brand new Pirelli P-zero tires though, battery looked new as well.

All the mods I saw done to the car where cosmetic... Wheels, stick-on exterior carbon fiber on the mirrors and inlets.

Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 AM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

@pfbz Whats your take on the fact the bumper was sprayed? Since it was Carmax that did it , assume it’s also for more cosmetic reasons vs an accident? That stood out as it didn’t seem Something a dealer would do unless it looked really bad. Or you risk the question “why was this car repainted?”.

Car is supposed to get here Jan 9th....i am feeling the anticipation and excitement my kids are feeling now for Xmas .... but i have to wait a little longer!
Old 12-23-2018, 08:32 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

That car just needs the original Spyder wheels back on, you will be good to go. Congratulations enjoy it! Hope you got the Carmax repair insurance.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:27 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

@pfbz Whats your take on the fact the bumper was sprayed? Since it was Carmax that did it , assume it’s also for more cosmetic reasons vs an accident? That stood out as it didn’t seem Something a dealer would do unless it looked really bad. Or you risk the question “why was this car repainted?”.

Car is supposed to get here Jan 9th....i am feeling the anticipation and excitement my kids are feeling now for Xmas .... but i have to wait a little longer!
I think it's much more common than you might think for dealers, including Porsche dealers, to respray a front bumper on a 911 to address stone chips. My issue with Carmax is more the quality of the paintwork that they sometimes do rather than the fact that they resprayed... I didn't inspect the bumper all that carefully as I got the respray information at the end of my visit after I had gone over the car and kind of decided to pass on it anyway, but definitely take a close look.
Old 12-24-2018, 02:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,196 Likes on 2,184 Posts

Looks like a nice car if you decide to turn it back to stock. For that price it is worth considering.

As PFBZ said, wheels definitely look like Vossens to me.

The respray on the bumper wouldn't concern me. These cars are very low and without clear bra will pick up rocks. Most people out there prefer perfect paint rather than a respray, so the dealers typically choose to make them look better to attract more buyers.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Talking

UPDATE: Excited to say that i did end up purchasing the car from Carfax. I took it to the Porsche Dealer and got it checked out. There were some minor issues (new battery needed, under body panel needs replacing, new gas cap) which Carmax will cover. They also might cover the 40k mile major servkce... working through that with Carmax.

Also got the 5yr/75k mike extended warranty for $2300. That’s with a $300 deductible. Seems like a no brainer.

Car is now at home and enjoyed driving it around over the weekend. Hopefully all the maintenance issues can be sorted out as smoothly as the purchase process has gone.

Old 01-28-2019, 03:33 PM
eZg
Intermediate

congrats!!! She is beautiful!
Old 01-28-2019, 03:48 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 190 Posts

Man, awesome deal on that warranty. That's almost guaranteed to have paid for itself by year 5 unless you keep it parked in a garage the whole time.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:47 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Awesome, glad you scored it and that carmax will cover some of the needed items... All it needs now is some new wheels! ;-)
Old 01-28-2019, 10:06 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Way to go! Congrats and enjoy. Hoping to join the club too at some point.

Quick Reply: Newbie - thoughts on this 08 997.1 TT