Sponsored by:

Newbie - thoughts on this 08 997.1 TT

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2018, 12:03 AM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie - thoughts on this 08 997.1 TT

I am looking to get my first Porsche and have been looking at 997.1TT for about 4-5 months. Wanted to get your thoughts on this one i found at carmax

https://www.carmax.com/car/16101586?...um=AppShareiOS

The $66k price tag seemed reasonable considering it’s a manual. Also has ceramic brakes.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:33 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you reserve it? Someone may have beaten you to it. Looks nice.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:55 AM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Did you reserve it? Someone may have beaten you to it. Looks nice.
yes that was me reserving it. I am having it shipped from CO to where I am in NC. I noticed this car a couple of weeks back but it was on hold by the time I called in. Curious why that fell through but decided to take a chance and check it out
Old 12-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Oddly enough it was your post about the 997 cab in Murietta that made me post. Pretty amazing several folks on here had seen the same car
Old 12-20-2018, 09:33 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vbjoseph
Oddly enough it was your post about the 997 cab in Murietta that made me post. Pretty amazing several folks on here had seen the same car
Cool. Seems guys on here are very thorough in their searches, with so many sites to track like Autotrader and Carmax. Get a free build sheet at Vin Analytics. Hope it works out for you and keep us posted.

Put an offer in on the 09 Blue Cab, so I will see what happens.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:21 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

CarMax prices are always attractive on these cars, and their warranty if you wanted one is solid and usually reasonably priced. They price them to move not sit around trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the car.

If you want to do a PPI you'll have to buy it, get it inspected and if you are not happy, return it in their 5 or 7 day returns period.

They had a lower mile 08 manual TT coupe recently for around 72 - shouldn't last long at that price.

I also knew a tech that worked there for a while - if you get it inspected after buying and are not happy with something, go back and ask them to address it - he said they would go to great lengths fixing/repairing items to keep someone from returning the car.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:13 AM
eZg
Intermediate

I'm going to show my ignorance.....but those ARE aftermarket wheels aren't they?

If so....I'd inspect suspension particularly close as most guys would save stock wheels for resale. Sure some will not bother, but in my mind it's a reason to pay close attention.

I LOVE the color combo on this one!

I think you found a good one!
Old 12-20-2018, 11:21 AM
theplings
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

The ceramic brakes are what you'd want to get thoroughly checked - if they have any problems big $ to replace with ceramics, I guess you could switch out to steel for less if needed.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:41 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

May have after market exhaust or at least the tips.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:50 AM
B59
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be sure to check the rear spoiler for hydraulic leaks. Just run your fingers under the bottom of the posts inside the engine compartment. Also, have someone remove the front floor pan under the car so that you can check the steering rack and front diff for leaks. Those things are fairly common issues and not inexpensive to repair.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:23 PM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
May have after market exhaust or at least the tips.
was thinking the same. Will check it out once it gets to NC. Will take about 3 weeks
Old 12-20-2018, 12:24 PM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Originally Posted by eZg
I'm going to show my ignorance.....but those ARE aftermarket wheels aren't they?

If so....I'd inspect suspension particularly close as most guys would save stock wheels for resale. Sure some will not bother, but in my mind it's a reason to pay close attention.

I LOVE the color combo on this one!

I think you found a good one!
i did research all the oem designs and couldn’t find this one. So my guess is it is after market.
Old 12-20-2018, 12:26 PM
Vbjoseph
Track Day

Originally Posted by theplings
CarMax prices are always attractive on these cars, and their warranty if you wanted one is solid and usually reasonably priced. They price them to move not sit around trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the car.

If you want to do a PPI you'll have to buy it, get it inspected and if you are not happy, return it in their 5 or 7 day returns period.

They had a lower mile 08 manual TT coupe recently for around 72 - shouldn't last long at that price.

I also knew a tech that worked there for a while - if you get it inspected after buying and are not happy with something, go back and ask them to address it - he said they would go to great lengths fixing/repairing items to keep someone from returning the car.
my plan is to definitely do a PPI after purchase. Hopefully things that others have called out (ceramic brakes, suspension etc) all check out. I did see another post on here where the Carmax fixed all the PPI issues. So will try that and worst case execute on the 5 day refund period if necessary
Old 12-20-2018, 12:38 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If there are no major issues in the PPI, i think you did good with it. Rare enough to find a PCCB in these cars.
Congrats.
Old 12-20-2018, 04:00 PM
997TTEQNY
Racer

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Nice car... like others have said.. get a ppi.

PCCB's are nice and seems like its a loaded option car with all the CF bits.

Wheels look really big and cant tell what they are.. maybe HRE?

Last edited by 997TTEQNY; 12-20-2018 at 04:21 PM.

Quick Reply: Newbie - thoughts on this 08 997.1 TT