Sponsored by:

Choices ??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 11:45 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Choices ??????

I am going to buy my second Porsche. I have a 2015 991 S & a GTR that on nitrous and alpha Turbos .

which you you rather get:

a black drop top Turbo with ceremic huge yellow caliper and gray interior triptronic

or

a gray Turbo with gray interior six speed?

Thought would be great appreciated

both cars are clean & low miles.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:37 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

The cars that you’re considering are both excellent, but quite different. Do you want an automatic transmission? Do you want a cabriolet? How important is the PCCB option to you? Does color (or lack thereof) matter to you?

You need to to put together a list of your priorities.
Old 11-07-2018, 01:49 AM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

That's what I'm trying to decide. I know the triptronic is faster, I don't mind a hard Top but I think drop top looks cools. I was hoping someone has had both or cross shopped a drop top and a hard top
Old 11-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I’ve owned both, and I don’t plan to buy another coupe. The cabriolet is the best of both worlds.
Old 11-07-2018, 12:41 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Nice! Thank you you!
Old 11-07-2018, 08:31 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have had 2 Cabs and I had the hardtop option for both. When it is cold I can install it and have the best of both worlds.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:50 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Thanks for advice
Old 11-09-2018, 12:50 AM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Just a dissenting voice from the wilderness...some guys are vert fans (aka cabriolet) and some guys don't care for them. I have had a vert Vette and a vert Mustang GT...I bought them both just because they feel into my lap for a price I couldn't refuse and I needed a car at the time. But I personally do not care for convertibles at all...so if I am buying a car for myself it is a hard top and for a 997 TT it is a coupe. Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:19 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

Neither. I'd get a silver/black coupe instead. Though I'm totally biased.
Old 11-09-2018, 01:34 AM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

Of those two, definitely the 6-speed (presumably) coupe. Cab + Tip don't outweigh the PCCBs for me.
Old 11-09-2018, 02:00 AM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Plus the cab is heavier but the triptronic is faster. Is the tranny pretty good on the turbo for auto? I like the 997 Turbo cab with top down. Otherwise I prefer the hardtop triptronic . Is the black a hard to keep clean just like every other black car? Also , do those big you who like gray considerate the best color?
Old 11-09-2018, 09:10 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

You haven't given us enough information. What year/s, how many miles, desirable options, stock or modified, previous rust belt or southern state ownership, previous maintenance history available and etc. My previous TT was a Guards Red/black 09 6MT Cab. While I liked it my wife didn't, especially with the top down due to her long hair. Cabs are great in some areas such as the South, Southwest and Southern California. But, they have limited usability due to weather extremes in most other parts of the nation, e.g., I'm in the mid Atlantic which is not a good cab location.

My top was up most of the time and when it was down the outside temperature was warm to hot and the weather was "clear, blue and 72" which was nice but it also made it somewhat uncomfortable due to the interior "baking effect." I had cooled seats which are an imperative if you own a cab, and I also ran my AC to offset the incoming hot air and humidity. The top requires periodic maintenance (cleaning and protection spray), I had a problem with my passenger side rear window that occasionally wouldn't close completely when the top was cycled, the top will stretch and show ribs and bumps after a while, my interior picked-up a lot of dust, people will stare at you, they are harder to sell, although a cab initially costs $10K more than a coupe that premium quickly disappears and the cab will depreciate faster, if you're into tracking some tracks won't allow them for safety reasons and etc.

I'm not knocking cab ownership because for some they work or Porsche wouldn't make them. I've previously owned several cabs when I lived in California so I knew what to expect. But those days are behind me and I now much prefer a coupe over a cab, especially a 6MT as you mention. (JMO)
Old 11-09-2018, 10:58 PM
LizardBreath
Rennlist Member

Both are 2009.

i live in South Texas wherevits hot.

The Cab is black on black & auto.
The cabriolet has PCCB yellow brakes, yellow seat belts , floor mats that are black with yellow Turbo, ac seats, chrono, Bluetooth, no mods on the car, inspection was perfect, it's a southern car, Dallas & Houston, I plan to mod it, Coils, tune , exhaust, mainly bolt ons, im single so don't have a gf or wife.

the hardtop is gray on gray & manual.
it basically has the majority of what the black one does outside of the large brake calipers pccb option. It's gray which I like, not modded this is a Cali & Arizona car, inspection was great. But gray seat belts, normal floor mats, it has chrono option, ac seats,

the black cab is 3k less. Both have high 30k miles.
Old 11-10-2018, 08:20 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

Thanks for posting. Both sound like very nice cars and you have a difficult choice. My 07 TT tip coupe was black on black and while it looked great when clean it was also a PITA to clean; never again. JMO but I would opt for the manual TT. It's a much more desirable TT now and into the future. Let us know what you decide on and when you do, post some pictures. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2018, 07:16 AM
Dhari
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d go with the manual more driving pleasure and the values of manual turbos will appreciate in the future much more than a tip

Quick Reply: Choices ??????