Sponsored by:

Disconnected battery - trunk opening options 997.2

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2018, 11:22 AM
jpgallo
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Disconnected battery - trunk opening options 997.2

Rookie winter 911 storage mistake - I disconnected the battery and closed the trunk! Of course, nothing requiring power works, including what I thought was a mechanical cable to open the trunk near the drivers seat. To make matters worse, the car is stored 20 miles away with no access during the winter, so I need to think about this for the next 5 months before I try to get it out!

It's a 2012 911 Turbo S cab, so a 997.2 in case there are variations across the product line.

Based on my reading so far, it looks like opening the trunk with a dead battery is relatively easy to deal with via with the fuse box terminal or power via the cigarette lighter. For a disconnected battery, it is not clear that either of those solutions will work as the main electrical circuit is broken. I am wondering if I can power the specific circuit for the central locking system via the fuse box? I saw someone do that with a 996.

The other path is the mechanical pull cable which I believe is in the drivers side wheel well behind the plastic covers. Accessing that is not going to be easy given the center locking wheels for which I don't have the tools... that's why I am hoping that there is an electrical solution to help me recover from this error.

Any suggestions or personal experiences would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2018, 11:45 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Have made this mistake several times - with battery completely removed from the car. Simply follow the instructions in the manual re: hooking up 12v power to the retractable post in the fuse box, then ground to the door latch.You have to use the trunk release button on your key fob once power is connected, not use the pull tab on the door sill. It is literally a 30 second procedure provided you have a 12v power source (ie a battery booster pack from Walmart or another 12v battery laying around). No need to think about it again for the next 5 months
Old 10-27-2018, 02:03 PM
jpgallo
Track Day

Received 23 Likes on 7 Posts

Awesome, thanks so much! I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one and that definitely puts my mind at ease, even though I wish I could take care of it today. Gorgeous car btw!
Old 10-28-2018, 01:17 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Have made this mistake several times - with battery completely removed from the car. Simply follow the instructions in the manual re: hooking up 12v power to the retractable post in the fuse box, then ground to the door latch.You have to use the trunk release button on your key fob once power is connected, not use the pull tab on the door sill. It is literally a 30 second procedure provided you have a 12v power source (ie a battery booster pack from Walmart or another 12v battery laying around). No need to think about it again for the next 5 months
Elegant reply and nice solution....good to know. But having said that, I just got a big smile on my face here in Cocoa Beach...and I agree your P car is a beaut. I love the factory Aerokit look. Mine will have the factory AK front spoiler in a couple weeks and then I either keep looking for a factory rear spoiler or go D2S Aerokit rear spoiler.
Old 10-28-2018, 02:57 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 109 Posts

I've found that the power to fuse box and key fob press doesn't work when the battery is disconnected, and that removing the wheel liner on the front left wheel is required to get access to the emergency cable that opens the frunk. This can be done with the wheel on but the front needs to be jacked up.
Old 12-27-2021, 09:01 PM
ricky64
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I'm sheepishly in this situation. Does the red tab battery method truly work when the battery is disconnected? I just tried using a trickle amp charger with 5 amps...it didn't work. Am I going to just need a higher amperage source?
Thanks
Old 12-27-2021, 09:26 PM
Ruskiy
Burning Brakes

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

Try the drivers side pull-up frunk opener rather than the key-fob and vice-versa.

If no luck, I shall defer to others.

Last edited by Ruskiy; 12-27-2021 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-28-2021, 02:06 PM
ricky64
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For closure, using jumpers from a neighboring car battery does the trick with a disconnected battery just fine. There are some posts out there that this process only works for a dead battery; not true. It works for a disconnected battery. The electric switch requires higher amps than supplied by a trickle charger.
The following users liked this post:
ER17 (07-30-2023)

Quick Reply: Disconnected battery - trunk opening options 997.2