Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you satisfied ? Or at least 99% so.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2018, 09:07 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Are you satisfied ? Or at least 99% so.

More than likely I am going to graduate from a 997.2 C4S to a 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S.

For those that own one of these vehicles and especially those that can afford to buy a more expensive car, what are your long term feelings on owning a 997.2 Turbo or S ?

Are you tempted by any other cars or a later model 991 Turbo?

Any thing you'd change about your car or how you bought it ?

Old 09-22-2018, 10:29 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I'm completely satisfied with my very reliable 11 TTS. It's a solid investment and a future collectible (IMO), and I'm not tempted by any of the new 991's or any Porsche for that matter. But, my TTS doesn't get enough use and spends a lot of time in my garage. That's my fault though and not the cars. And, due to the really crappy weather we've had in VA lately I haven't driven my TTS for almost two months! Because I'm an old muscle-car era guy I've actually been considering the Camaro ZL1 (driven the C7 ZO6 and didn't like it), Shelby Mustangs and a 2015 Audi RS5. They can be driven daily, I don't have to worry about miles and they don't require constant cleaning. Just a thought.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:45 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 4ocious
they don't require constant cleaning. Just a thought.
My DD is a black Prius and I might have taken it through the autowash maybe every 4-6 months. The 911, I hand wash and dry every week to 10 days usually to get the bugs off. I drive it 2-3 times a week just for fun. Now that I have the P - I take better care of my Prius, detailed it and autowash every week.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:30 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 853 Likes on 435 Posts

I am 1001% satisfied with my 2012 997 Turbo S, more so than I ever could have imagined. I used to have an 88 911 for 5 years and a 996 C4S for 12 years. Both cars were great, but the A/C and comfort and stereo and speed and looks and color and interior and exterior and the feeling I get when driving this... it's unexplainable. It's magnificent. I could afford the 2015-2016 991Turbo S now that things are doing really well at my job but I wouldn't even consider it. This car suits me perfectly. The 991 Turbo S is a great car, it''s just too flashy for me. This car cost me $110k instead of the $116k asking price. It was worth every penny. This little 2012 is the quintessentially perfect car for my style and stature in life. It's the bombdiddybomb, and as my niece says, it's the bomb.com.

Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
TBarrow
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I have the 2012 997.2TT and selected it as I did not want the PCCB Brakes. The difference between the performance on both is the tune. There are items standard on the TTS that quite a fet TT buyers selected for theirs as options just look around. There are many cars in a similar catagory but they are not as reliable as the Porsche as well as there are some great independent service shops for the Porsche were you are limited on other makes.

We love ours. It is also the first time I have posted a picture of it. 2012 They made 32 White Cabs and only 2 with the Red interior. The other red interior is located about 15 miles from me of all places.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:17 PM
jaykkub
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
My DD is a black Prius and I might have taken it through the autowash maybe every 4-6 months. The 911, I hand wash and dry every week to 10 days usually to get the bugs off. I drive it 2-3 times a week just for fun. Now that I have the P - I take better care of my Prius, detailed it and autowash every week.
Are you me? My Prius has turned into my secondary car and my 997.1 Turbo my DD. Too much fun not to drive.

I've found I keep better care of my Prius now that I have the 911. Gets washed more often, interior is cleaner, and overall maintenance and ownership have gotten better on my part too.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:18 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Interesting, I actually currently own both. I have a 2010 997.2 Carrera 6 spd and a 2007 997 TT. I had the 997.2 for 3 years before I got the TT. Here is my comparison between the two. Please be aware I am not happy with the clutch in the 997tt and have gone with the BBi and working on a GT3 spring.

I thought I would instantly love the Turbo and forget about the 997.2 I was wrong. Both are very very different cars. My 997.2 is more of a gentleman and my tt is more of a fighter. My 997.2 is smooth as silk, will forgive you if you miss a shift, it behaves like a gentleman. It does not mind how it is driven to an extent. Get it out of shape on a turn, a little flick of the wrist, and it come right back inline and forgives you. I have 200.00 in it in 3 years which is 2 oil changes and a air filter. Most reliable and cheapest to maintain car I have ever owned. It is a true joy to drive

Now, as I said, before I got my TT, I thought it was my ultimate car. I found just because something is faster, that does not make it better. My tt compared to my 997.2 is a raging bitch. It does not shift as well, more like an early gated shifter (this is not clutch issue, just how transmission is). If you do not drive it right or how it likes to be driven, it cusses you out. it will stall, shudder and complain. I thought the hydrualic assist clutch was horrible and went to the BBi, still dialing it in.

Now, you are probably thinking I like the 997.2 better. Not so fast. When you take off in the 997tt, you are strapped into a somewhat unrefined raging beast. Then as the tach climbs to about 3000 rpm's, something unique happens. A sound like a huge vacuum cleaner comes from the rear of the car, you are all the sudden pinned in your seat and hit the redline faster than any car I have ever been in. When those twin huffers kick in, it is just violent, and in a good way. The power for me is the equalizer. It is addictive. It is hard to control, but I love the challenge.

In the end, I love them both equally. I appreciate each for what they are and you really can not compare them. One is an extremely refined car that is forgiving and easy to drive. One is a raging beast (or bitch) that demands to be driven correctly, but never fails to put a smile on my face when the TT turbos kick in. Once I get the clutch dialed in, it will be perfect for what it is.

So, as I said, I learned because something is faster does not make it better, just different. I have loved all my Porsches, but me and the 997 tt are still in the dating phase while me and the 9972 have been married a while!

A pic of the brothers....
Old 09-22-2018, 04:33 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

I just bought a 997.1 TT...brand new to P cars...it is really fun and I am already planning a 650/675 HP build next month along with HRE wheels/tires, H&R springs and I bought the all lower body paint kit, with the aerokit front lip/spoiler, so I am going to have fun modestly/tastefully modifying it and will have a blast owning it for a few years, but it is definitely just a toy and I am not married to it, so I know in 2 or 3 or 4 years I will move on to a different toy, quite possibly might be a later model TT/TTS, or if my portfolio is feeling it, I would like to get a Prancing Horse 458/488. Having said all that, I think the Porsche Turbo sweet spot may just be the 997.2 PDK TTS.
Old 09-22-2018, 04:37 PM
Alapor
Instructor

The 997 manual is getting more in price than the 997 paddle. I just think you lose something on a paddle vs manual, even if the paddle is faster. Others agree, it is why the manuals are getting 15%-20% more in price.
Old 09-22-2018, 06:49 PM
MK_TT
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Love my car, I usually get the itch to switch every 2-3 years, Not with this one, although i'd love to add a contrasting friend to keep it company!

Old 09-22-2018, 07:18 PM
Alapor
Instructor

My 997.2 Carrera has held it's price very very well over the 3 1/2 years I have owned it. I am wondering how the 997 tt will do over the next 2-3 years.
Old 09-22-2018, 07:28 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I LOVED my 997.1 Turbo cabriolet. It was a wonderful car. That said, I wanted more. I sold it and bought a 991 Turbo S. I’m extremely happy with the decision. I’d do it again.

I know this is the 997 Turbo forum and my opinion might be unpopular, but I though I’d pass it on regardless. I’m not knocking the 997.2 Turbo or Turbo S. They’re great cars. I just wanted something more....
Old 09-22-2018, 07:37 PM
Porscheholic
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I was also recently asking myself whether I should trade up and get the 991TTS, but in the end decided I really have loved my 997.1TT for the past nine years and just can't see parting with it. They look fabulous even in stock form, but there are so many very cool mod options you can do with this car, so that's the route I've decided to take.

And you'll never be able to purchase a new Turbo (I mean Turbo with a T, not the smaller displacement cars that are still available with a manual, although only with 7-speed, which I dislike) with a manual any longer, so that's another issue that resulted in me deciding to keep my beloved 997.1TT.

I've just started with my mod project, and it will take about two months to complete, but I'll post the results when the car is finished. I'm very excited to see how it turns out.
Old 09-22-2018, 10:34 PM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

This is possibly the best thread ever. I love reading these answers as it helps me know I am on the right track.
Old 09-23-2018, 10:18 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Alapor
Interesting, I actually currently own both. I have a 2010 997.2 Carrera 6 spd and a 2007 997 TT.

A pic of the brothers....
Alapor - do you think the personality differences would be reduced if the comparison is between 2 PDKs. I am pretty certain that I will get a Cab and to make up for that 0-60 loss, the PDK makes it even.

Quick Reply: Are you satisfied ? Or at least 99% so.