Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BBi Slave review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 08:19 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, just got back from a healthy test drive. DISCLAIMER- As far as you know, no speed limits were broken during said test drive. (ummm, yeah right) lol. I am coming to the end of all my work. Feeling pretty damn good about the car. The GT3 spring took out maybe 10-15% of the stiffness. It is still a little stiff, but I do not mind it (that's what she said). Overall, I could NEVER go back to stock hydrualic assist. I can launch it like a bat out of hell now. No more shuddering. Haven't even gotten close to stalling it. It lower my engagement point to about 2 inches off the floor (perfect) from 10 inches off the floor.

It is not for everyone, but I have had some PM's of people saying the same thing. They did not want to post publicly but they feel like idiots driving their 997 TT's because they can not launch them, they stall, shudder, etc... I admit, picking up my kids from school I felt real cool when I stalled it in the crosswalk, NOT! Never gonna stall it again and I can finally hit respectful 0-60 times.

This kit and setup is subjective. I can see it would not be for everyone. If you like a soft, mushy clutch like stock, you will not like this setup at all. Some people love the stock setup, and I wish I had, would have saved me some damn $$$$. I did not and could not keep the car in that setup. I am beginning to love it now and it is fun as hell for once.

I do have one thing that is kinda bothering me. Ever since I put the engine back in, when I let off the gas, I get just a tad bit of rattle underneath the gear shift. Just for a split second then gone. It is a little louder when I am just feathering the gas and let up vs got it to the floor and let up. Any ideas? Get that done and a few other little things and she is done and ready to simply drive, with a smile on my face of course, and NEVER breaking speed limits like the 130 mph I just did in the test drive that you did not just read about..... LOL
Old 09-25-2018, 08:21 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Oh, and I sold the Carrera today, kinda sad. She went to a good home and I know the owner will love it.
Old 09-26-2018, 10:07 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

So you chose the Turbo over the Carrera...read your other post and you seem to like the combo of having booth.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:11 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alapor
Ok, just got back from a healthy test drive. DISCLAIMER- As far as you know, no speed limits were broken during said test drive. (ummm, yeah right) lol. I am coming to the end of all my work. Feeling pretty damn good about the car. The GT3 spring took out maybe 10-15% of the stiffness. It is still a little stiff, but I do not mind it (that's what she said). Overall, I could NEVER go back to stock hydrualic assist. I can launch it like a bat out of hell now. No more shuddering. Haven't even gotten close to stalling it. It lower my engagement point to about 2 inches off the floor (perfect) from 10 inches off the floor.

It is not for everyone, but I have had some PM's of people saying the same thing. They did not want to post publicly but they feel like idiots driving their 997 TT's because they can not launch them, they stall, shudder, etc... I admit, picking up my kids from school I felt real cool when I stalled it in the crosswalk, NOT! Never gonna stall it again and I can finally hit respectful 0-60 times.

This kit and setup is subjective. I can see it would not be for everyone. If you like a soft, mushy clutch like stock, you will not like this setup at all. Some people love the stock setup, and I wish I had, would have saved me some damn $$$$. I did not and could not keep the car in that setup. I am beginning to love it now and it is fun as hell for once.

I do have one thing that is kinda bothering me. Ever since I put the engine back in, when I let off the gas, I get just a tad bit of rattle underneath the gear shift. Just for a split second then gone. It is a little louder when I am just feathering the gas and let up vs got it to the floor and let up. Any ideas? Get that done and a few other little things and she is done and ready to simply drive, with a smile on my face of course, and NEVER breaking speed limits like the 130 mph I just did in the test drive that you did not just read about..... LOL
If you want to make it even better, install a clutch stop or make your own. At least with the GT2 setup on my car (Sachs "2.5" clutch), you don't need to push the clutch pedal to the floor...you get full disengagement at like 75% of the way down. Installing a clutch stop was as beneficial to me as putting on the GT3 spring. In my case, all it took was a few inches of PVC pipe, some black spray paint, and a couple wire ties. Secured the pipe to the back of the clutch pedal lever and adjusted (up/down) to ensure I was still able to actuate the clutch switch to start the car. Works great and helps make shifts even less effort and faster.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Smile

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
So you chose the Turbo over the Carrera...read your other post and you seem to like the combo of having booth.
You know, a guy drove all the way from West Palm Beach to look at it. We drove it, I asked if he wanted to try the Turbo, drove it, and this turned out to be a really good guy. Then he made me an offer. You know, there is a difference in listing a car for sale and actually selling it. I was making progress on the Turbo, but I got some serious buyers remorse. I love my 997.2 C. I am a big Classic Donzi guy, got two right now. They are a lot like the Porsche Turbo, driver input is the only way to get them to run right, especially with big power. I had had the 997.2C for 4 years, one had to go, and I am warming up to the turbo. In the end, it was a good offer and I know it was going to a good home and the guy really loved it. I asked the wife one more time if I could keep both, got that look (married guys know the "look") and sold it. Today is my first day without both, but I have been driving the **** out of the turbo, so I feel I made the right choice. I am sure in 3-4 years when I sell the Turbo I will go through the same selling anguish I did selling the 997.2 lol.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:46 PM
Alapor
Instructor

Originally Posted by TypeRx
If you want to make it even better, install a clutch stop or make your own. At least with the GT2 setup on my car (Sachs "2.5" clutch), you don't need to push the clutch pedal to the floor...you get full disengagement at like 75% of the way down. Installing a clutch stop was as beneficial to me as putting on the GT3 spring. In my case, all it took was a few inches of PVC pipe, some black spray paint, and a couple wire ties. Secured the pipe to the back of the clutch pedal lever and adjusted (up/down) to ensure I was still able to actuate the clutch switch to start the car. Works great and helps make shifts even less effort and faster.
This is not a bad idea but not for the reasons you did it. Mine engages about 2 inches off the floor, it is about right. BUT, I am getting some "crunching" sound out of the new clutch master on that last inch. Stop would keep me from getting into the crunch area, but still enough room to disengage the clutch when pressed in. I must have messed up the nuetral safety switch when I put the GT3 spring in as it would not start and kept saying "depress clutch". I jumped the switch and it is fine now, but I will be replacing it.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:13 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This is not a bad idea but not for the reasons you did it. Mine engages about 2 inches off the floor, it is about right. BUT, I am getting some "crunching" sound out of the new clutch master on that last inch. Stop would keep me from getting into the crunch area, but still enough room to disengage the clutch when pressed in. I must have messed up the nuetral safety switch when I put the GT3 spring in as it would not start and kept saying "depress clutch". I jumped the switch and it is fine now, but I will be replacing it.
Well, kind of a similar situation for me. The last 1" of travel was unnecessary and created a squeak at times that ultimately led to a seal failing and creating a clutch fluid leak. Mine also engages about 2" off of the floor so now the clutch is very linear and quick.
Old 09-28-2018, 06:37 PM
usrodeo4
Three Wheelin'

Received 583 Likes on 326 Posts

Wow that is quite the story...super happy you have found a clutch solution but it sure makes me glad I have adapted nicely to the OEM clutch in my 997.1 TT. I have only owned her for about five weeks and my first Porsche but I have never stalled her yet and am getting pretty damn sporty on my launches now...it does take a very nuanced touch for sure and is very different from any clutch I have used before, but I like the challenge and I really like the feel now. I always give credit to my clutch skills tracing back to my youth as an AMA expert license holder in 250cc Road Race...I raced the Yamaha TZ-250B in '74 and '75...if you could get that thing off the line without stalling it you can get any vehicle off the line without stalling it. But speaking of stiff clutches, I remember the 1970 Mustang Mach I (351 Cleveland 4v engine, 4 speed close ratio Top Loader) I owned that had the engine built to 445 H.P. I don't recall the name of the clutch but it was a "racing clutch" and that thing would absolutely wear you out...Muscle Cars were renowned for their hefty clutch pressure. Again super glad you found a solution and I will keep all the valuable information you provided in my back pocket going forward.
Old 10-01-2018, 11:59 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

You know, a guy drove all the way from West Palm Beach to look at it. We drove it, I asked if he wanted to try the Turbo, drove it, and this turned out to be a really good guy. Then he made me an offer. You know, there is a difference in listing a car for sale and actually selling it. I was making progress on the Turbo, but I got some serious buyers remorse. I love my 997.2 C. I am a big Classic Donzi guy, got two right now. They are a lot like the Porsche Turbo, driver input is the only way to get them to run right, especially with big power. I had had the 997.2C for 4 years, one had to go, and I am warming up to the turbo. In the end, it was a good offer and I know it was going to a good home and the guy really loved it. I asked the wife one more time if I could keep both, got that look (married guys know the "look") and sold it. Today is my first day without both, but I have been driving the **** out of the turbo, so I feel I made the right choice. I am sure in 3-4 years when I sell the Turbo I will go through the same selling anguish I did selling the 997.2 lol.
When I had my C2S I helped a friend buy his 2009 Turbo. He let me drive it and when I got back in my C2S to drive home I couldn't believe the torque difference. I put it up for sale that night...I still miss it and want another one some day.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Alapor
Instructor

The guy who bought my 997.2 took a long drive with me, about 45 minutes. Then he tried the Turbo. He was speechless at the power. He simple said "this is a race car". I know he liked what he bought because he also said he had no business being in a TT. lol.
Old 10-12-2018, 02:12 PM
Bushrat
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking RE: SRM clutch master cyl.

Originally Posted by skyak
I recently did a BBI install with the GT3 spring. I changed my master cylinder at the same time to avoid the blowout. The stiffness is perfect.
BTW, my local shop is testing a Master Cylinder from SRM that may work better with the BBI slave (something to do with bore size). If you want any info on that let me know.
Have been reading up on clutch mods for my 996tt and would be quite interested in the SRM master cylinder test results. Considering that I live some 200 miles from the shop that will be doing the install I have decided to replace the cylinder and the hose as well as installing a GT3 spring assist. Response would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2018, 01:15 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrat
Have been reading up on clutch mods for my 996tt and would be quite interested in the SRM master cylinder test results. Considering that I live some 200 miles from the shop that will be doing the install I have decided to replace the cylinder and the hose as well as installing a GT3 spring assist. Response would be greatly appreciated.
silly rabbit motorsport master cylinder has been out for a while. he uses them on every tilton clutch kit he sells. theres a bunch of folks running this on various clutch setups

while your replacing parts order the clutch reservoir cap that reads dot4 fluid only as you have a petosin cap on there now and a shop cpould confuse that and add the wrong fluid
Old 10-13-2018, 01:43 PM
Bushrat
Advanced

Cool

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
silly rabbit motorsport master cylinder has been out for a while. he uses them on every tilton clutch kit he sells. theres a bunch of folks running this on various clutch setups

while your replacing parts order the clutch reservoir cap that reads dot4 fluid only as you have a petosin cap on there now and a shop cpould confuse that and add the wrong fluid
Will contact the silly rabbit and order a cylinder. Just bought a BBI slave from an owner who never installed it, think a dot 4 cap was included... good plan though. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Bushrat
Will contact the silly rabbit and order a cylinder. Just bought a BBI slave from an owner who never installed it, think a dot 4 cap was included... good plan though. Thank you for your input, greatly appreciated.
I have the SRM master and can confirm that it improves drivability.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:08 PM
Bushrat
Advanced

Default SRM mster cyl.

Originally Posted by skyak
I have the SRM master and can confirm that it improves drivability.
Is it mated to a BBI slave? Improves drivability over a stock master? If so, how ? Where did you purchase and at what cost. Have contacted SRM via email and have yet to get a response. Looking for experience as I only want to do this job once. Bought the car a few years ago, drove it for a season then pulled the engine & transmission for maintenance and mods. New parts included a new stock slave and accumulator. Since then the clutch has been unacceptably light. Guess the old parts were on the way out but felt a whole lot better than a new system.

Quick Reply: BBi Slave review