Sponsored by:

Check Engine Light, PSM Failure, Sputtering

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 09:21 PM
rspinuzzi
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Check Engine Light, PSM Failure, Sputtering

I experienced a very strange thing today with my 997.2 PDK turbo. I drove to a store about 10 miles from my house...no issues. When I left the store to return home, I pulled out of the parking lot and almost immediately I had to stop at a red light. While sitting at the light the car bagan to idle very rough. At first I thought it might just be some bad gas in the system. When the light turned green I tried to accelerate, but the car sputtered and shook like the transmission was slipping. Then the PSM light came on, check engine light flashed, and the PSM Failure message popped up. I couldn’t get the car to go any faster than 25 mph as it shook its way into another parking lot where it quickly shut it off. I also noticed a burning smell like clutch or brakes. I called the dealer and after about 10 minutes I restarted the car and the warning lights were no longer illustrated. They informed me that if the warning lights were out it was ok to drive it to the dealership for diagnosis. It drove fine all the way to the dealership, even at 70 mph on the highway. This all occurred Saturday afternoon, so I won’t hear anything from the dealership until Monday at the earliest. Has anyone experienced this? Is this an engine or transmission issue, or neither. Any insight would be appreciated.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:27 PM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 106 Likes on 83 Posts

Sounds like bad spark coils? What year?
Old 09-15-2018, 09:41 PM
rspinuzzi
AutoX

Old 09-16-2018, 10:23 AM
therock88
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Sounds like it went in to Limp mode....But not sure why.

DC
The following users liked this post:
Ken schlecht (02-22-2020)
Old 09-16-2018, 10:42 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

I experienced exactly the same thing at 65K miles (PSM, TPMS, limp mode, check engine light) with my 2011 Cayenne TT with PSM several weeks ago. I too pulled over ASAP, shut down, let the CTT sit, restarted, everything cleared and my CTT drove normally. Have you been getting an occasional PSM warning light that would flash for a few seconds on dry roads and then go away? I am. I haven't experienced the same conditions since but it's going to the dealer soon and I'll post the results.

BTW, when I was in Asheville, NC recently I stopped by the Porsche dealer to look at their shop as I'm considering moving there. I explained the condition to the service manager but unfortunately I can't recall what he told me (should have written it down, but it was two ?? non-wear and tear suspension parts). I do recall them saying it's safe to drive and it's not coil packs.

Last edited by 4ocious; 09-17-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 09-16-2018, 12:25 PM
rspinuzzi
AutoX

Thanks for the feedback. The part that concerned me the most was the shaking, shuttering and complete lack of power. The smell was concerning too. I’ll be sure to post what the dealer finds. I’m the second owner, so thankfully it’s still under CPO warranty.
Old 09-17-2018, 08:35 AM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Please do, I'm very interested to learn what your dealer says. It may confirm what the dealer in Asheville said too.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:49 PM
rspinuzzi
AutoX

Just heard from the dealership. As it turns out it was a faulty ignition coil. It caused the engine to misfire triggering the PSM Failure and the CEL.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:17 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rspinuzzi
Just heard from the dealership. As it turns out it was a faulty ignition coil. It caused the engine to misfire triggering the PSM Failure and the CEL.
Thanks for posting, Interesting, this isn't what the Porsche dealer in Asheville said. He related it to a suspension issue. Now it's my turn to find out. And I'm still getting the intermittent PSM light.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:03 PM
Normnyc
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue. It was a bad ignition coil and possibly the MAP sensor.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:39 PM
saxoz
4th Gear

Did you get the problem fixed? im dealing with the exact same problems that you had, Idle rough, not firing on all cylinders, PSM light came on, engine light flashing etc.

All help would be appreciated.

Best regards Martin
Old 04-29-2020, 07:04 PM
Normnyc
5th Gear

Sure did! I replaced all the ignition packs and it went away. I did the plugs the year before so I knew it wasn't them. I don't think it had anything to do with the MAP sensor and I didn't need to replace that. If the light is flashing that means its misfiring.
Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 PM
saxoz
4th Gear

I replaced all 8 coils and plugs aswell, even the 2 camshaft solenoids, still having misfire on several cylinders, i can feel it when the misfire starts, then the lights starts flashing straight away.. Its killing me! Need to read all the posts and keep looking for a sollution..

Thanks for the quick reply Normnyc
Old 04-29-2020, 08:00 PM
Normnyc
5th Gear

Oh okay, yeah that sounds like a different issue if it happens right away as mine was more sporadic. I would take it to the dealer and have them scan it with the Porsche scanner. It sounds like you are getting close though if you replaced all that. If you used parts that weren't new they could be faulty too.
Good luck! Post the answer in here when you find out what it was.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:32 AM
M1k3D
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey my Porsche 991.2 turbo is going in the shop tomorrow for similar issue. At about 3200-4000 RPM under hard throttle the engine would sputter and choke kinda - PSM warning - engine warning etc. came on and then off when car was turned off and restarted.

Can you confirm these were your symptoms - and if so, did Porsche warranty cover all of it or what?

Quick Reply: Check Engine Light, PSM Failure, Sputtering