Sponsored by:

997.1 Turbo to Cup build

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:13 PM
billywenk
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.1 Turbo to Cup build

Hello everyone! I thought I would share with you what we are working on in the shop. This is my 2007 Porsche 911 Turbo that we have slowly converted to a cup car GT2. Right now we are wrapping the car orange with carbon fiber accents, and modifying the exterior. This is our first time wrapping anything, so we used my car as a test unit. I purchased some 996 cup uprights from Demon Motorsports and modified them fit my GT3 RS decklid. I also made some winglets out of aluminum for it. I will be making an aluminum extension to bolt to the current wing tabs to allow for more adjust-ability. We also ordered some cup bumpers for the car that we are going to attach with the quick release button style latch on front and rear bumpers. The hood and trunk will also utilize the same system. I might also make a front splitter to go with the dive planes for the front. I also picked up some used front fender extensions to modify and fit to the front.

The cars current mods are listed below:
-2WD conversion (removed diff, front axles, and drive shaft)
-Bilstein Damptronic with ground control camber plates
-HRE FF01 wheels
-GT3 RS decklid
-Water pipes pinned
-Fabspeed Tune
-Fabspeed headers
-Fabspeed muffler bypass
-RSS Tarmac engine mounts
-Function First transmission insert
-Aasco billlet flywheel
-Spec 3+ clutch kit
-OMP Seats
-OMP Harness
-OMP Brackets
-MPI Steering wheel
-NRG Quickrelease
-Gutted interior

I am sure there are a few things I have missed, so far the car handles amazing on the track! I look forward to making more changes to the car to have the ultimate track/street toy! If you have any questions please ask below.

Old 08-21-2018, 03:11 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

Awesome! Looks great, and I'm sure it's a monster on the track.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:54 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

This is so cool! I just bought a dedicted cayman race car, as I couldn't bring myself to continue modding the 997TT for track duty and ruining its streetability. This is my money no object dream track build right here, certainly keep updates coming!

Have you run the car on track with the 2WD conversion? The general consensus out there is that 997TT cannot be converted to 2WD as the AWD is electric and mechanical, not just straight mechanical like the 996TT. All the people who have tried to go 2WD in 997TT end up with electrical issues when driven at the limit when PSM and other systems start kicking in (even with them coded off permanently). To my knowledge, no one on the interwebs as posted a successful conversion to 2WD so if yours is tried and tested, definitely post more details - people are looking for this info!

Cheers
The following users liked this post:
RennKit-Dave (08-16-2021)
Old 08-21-2018, 10:11 AM
El Dario Loco
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cstyles
Have you run the car on track with the 2WD conversion? The general consensus out there is that 997TT cannot be converted to 2WD as the AWD is electric and mechanical, not just straight mechanical like the 996TT. All the people who have tried to go 2WD in 997TT end up with electrical issues when driven at the limit when PSM and other systems start kicking in (even with them coded off permanently). To my knowledge, no one on the interwebs as posted a successful conversion to 2WD so if yours is tried and tested, definitely post more details - people are looking for this info!

Cheers
I want to know this as well!
Old 08-21-2018, 02:56 PM
WheelsB
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 949 Likes on 479 Posts

Down the road are you going to get into even lighter HRE wheels? Perhaps something that is custom forged and specifically built for this car in particular?

Wheels Boutique // 786 249 0127 // Sales@wheelsboutique.com
Follow us on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/WheelsBoutique
Largest Dealer In The World for HRE Wheels, ANRKY Wheels, Vorsteiner Wheels & Aero, Akrapovic Exhaust, & iPE Exhaust
BBS, Forgeline, & TechArt Premium Dealer
Brembo / Rotiform / KW / H&R / Novitec / Brabus / Mansory and tons more...
Old 08-21-2018, 03:02 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Amazing project! Big props! Excited to follow your progress.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:03 PM
skyak
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by WheelsB
Down the road are you going to get into even lighter HRE wheels? Perhaps something that is custom forged and specifically built for this car in particular?
Why don't you sponsor him and provide the wheels? Sounds like a win/win.
Old 08-22-2018, 02:32 PM
32krazy!
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

if you decide to sell the front diff setup let me know
Old 08-22-2018, 03:58 PM
Fabspeed Motorsport
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 676 Likes on 430 Posts

Car looks amazing!!! Love the carbon hood!!

Old 08-22-2018, 04:27 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 267 Posts

I could not gut my turbo. GT3 RS end-plates would look good on those uprights. What color is car under wrap.
Join the chorus on the awd----->rwd comments.
Good luck with the project.
Old 08-24-2018, 01:08 AM
billywenk
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
Awesome! Looks great, and I'm sure it's a monster on the track.
Nate,
Thank you for the kind words! The car has done surprisingly well! It has never broken down at this point or missed a beat yet. I can't praise this car enough!

Originally Posted by cstyles
This is so cool! I just bought a dedicted cayman race car, as I couldn't bring myself to continue modding the 997TT for track duty and ruining its streetability. This is my money no object dream track build right here, certainly keep updates coming!

Cheers
Cstyles,

We actually have two Cayman track builds based off the GTB3 class for PCA club racing we have built. They are great platforms to use!

I have unfortunately came to a point where the car was being used so much for track use that the paint damages and mileages just didn't make sense for me to sell it or purchase another toy. So here we are today after slowly modding it more and more, I finally pulled the trigger on this setup. I will post my experience with my 2WD conversion in a separate post below.

Here is some recent pictures of one of the Cayman builds.

Originally Posted by El Dario Loco
I want to know this as well!
Hi there! I will post below!
Originally Posted by WheelsB
Wheels Boutique,

I am looking for a one piece wheel option in the 18" size range right now.

Originally Posted by skyak
Amazing project! Big props! Excited to follow your progress.
Originally Posted by skyak
Why don't you sponsor him and provide the wheels? Sounds like a win/win.
Skyak,

Thank you for the feedback! I would love to have a deal with HRE. I have ran them on all of my cars for years.

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
if you decide to sell the front diff setup let me know
32krazy!,

I am sorry but it is already sold!
Originally Posted by Fabspeed Motorsport
Car looks amazing!!! Love the carbon hood!!
Fabspeed,

Thank you! We are super happy with the build so far!

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I could not gut my turbo. GT3 RS end-plates would look good on those uprights. What color is car under wrap.
Join the chorus on the awd----->rwd comments.
Good luck with the project.
JG,

It was a tough decision! I plan to purchase another Porsche at some point and keep it mostly stock, maybe a 993 Turbo or another 997. Who knows! I will post below on RWD! Thank you!
Old 08-24-2018, 01:31 AM
billywenk
Intermediate

Hello everyone! Here is the update from this week!

We got the side scoops wrapped in carbon and inserted, the bumper fitted, set screw in the rear decklid to stop the wing from hitting the rear glass, "quick release" buttons on the bumper, bumper wrapped, and exhaust measurements for the custom 3" straight pipe exhaust.

Set screw in rear latch to prevent glass from hitting.

Rear bumper fitted and first layer of wrap done.

Second layer of wrap done.

Quick release latches being fitted and installed.

Rear corner view.

Another view with bumper on.

Rear wrap completed minus rear tow hook and exhaust.

Preview of wing height from front of car!

Now onto the 997 Porsche 911 Turbo 2WD OR RWD conversion. I have completed this conversion but I still am working out some kinks.

Mechanically I have done the following:
-Removed drive shaft from trans axle to front differential.
-Removed front differential
-Removed front CV axles and separated axle stub for front spindle. I have not switched out front suspension for GT3/GT2 yet.

This swap is currently causing some electrical issues for me. The CAN is stuck with PSM enabled, Sport mode disabled, and T/C can not be disabled. I believe the only way to correct this, is to replace the PSM unit and possibly the DME. I have used the factory PIWIS Tester 2 to code out the TPM(AWD Controller) module from the gateway, PSM, DME, and other related areas. It still will not disable the system at this time. BBI has completed this conversion and to my understanding they are running a full stand alone unit. At this time, I have not decided if I want to go stand alone or perform the factory conversion with OEM parts so I can offer this service. If I knew there would be enough interest where clients would ship cars to me I would probably perform the conversion with OEM components for R&D purposes. Sorry I do not have more information at this time.
Old 08-24-2018, 02:29 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 70 Posts

3" straight pipe—hope you're running on tracks without noise restrictions!
Old 08-24-2018, 07:43 AM
atcbi5
Banned

Received 104 Likes on 82 Posts

Incredible transformation, love it, keep it up!!Funny as soon as sponsorship was mentioned........................crickets.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:31 AM
cstyles
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by billywenk
Cstyles,

We actually have two Cayman track builds based off the GTB3 class for PCA club racing we have built. They are great platforms to use!

I have unfortunately came to a point where the car was being used so much for track use that the paint damages and mileages just didn't make sense for me to sell it or purchase another toy. So here we are today after slowly modding it more and more, I finally pulled the trigger on this setup. I will post my experience with my 2WD conversion in a separate post below.

Here is some recent pictures of one of the Cayman builds.

Awesome, and thanks for the information on your experience with the 2WD conversion up to this point. We need shops and people like you to take on these projects to figure them out for the rest of us

Great looking Cayman race cars! My setup is very similar:

Quick Reply: 997.1 Turbo to Cup build