Sponsored by:

New to me 997.1 Turbo a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 11:38 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New to me 997.1 Turbo a few questions

New to forum, should be picking up new to me 07 997 manual turbo this next week.

I got asked to cross post this in TT side, as well so here it is.

its’s full leather, which really isn’t, but the console is in decent shape
has the climate buttons that need to be repaired/replaced. (likely macarbon but still researching)
alcantara shifter is essentially a bald shifter, so all or,part of that will need replaced too. (Upper section vs whole boot, indifferent about alcantara going back on.)
lastly the pcm. It’s dated, but in a nostalgic sort of way. If BT existed I’d probably move it to a low-to-never priority. I’ve read hundreds of pages dating way back almost 10years. I’m looking for a decent up to date synopsis. I want BT for calling and music streaming. Don’t necessarily need full display of information because I’ll likely have phone in view to change tracks etc. I’m on android but rest of family is apple. Primarily my fun car.

It seems the 2 most popular options are

1.Denison 500 keeping everything stock appearing. It appears to be a bit clunky and fiddly and works but only just so well. Some love it, very few hate it. Does what it needs, pipes phone audio into car allows for calls and retains stock appearance.

2. Full pcm replacement using someone’s most-hur adapter (don’t think I want to do full amp removal to alleviate the Bose amp & want it to be easily reversible). Lose the fade ability but probably not a huge issue in small cabin. Not stock appearing and I’ve seen some that simply scream aftermarket replacement. Sometimes it’s the surround, but often it’s the over the top lights and buttons in shiny glossy chrome etc. Benefits are current technology and potentially better sound. But, some of the units I’ve seen online have clunky interfaces that make the OEM actually not look bad. Newer system allow for easy rear and potentially front facing cameras. I’ll add rear & possibly front camera if I go this route. Android auto and CarPlay make things much easier.

3. Tranzit blue: seems to have fallen out of favor for several reasons not really considering.

so I guess my questions are
1 vs 2 and why?
if 2 what’s the unit to get now? Alpine, Sony, Kenwood? Others?

excited to get the car and start driving and playing.

thanks in advance for the responses..
Old 06-03-2018, 11:55 PM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomasShawn
so I guess my questions are
1 vs 2 and why?
if 2 what’s the unit to get now? Alpine, Sony, Kenwood? Others?

excited to get the car and start driving and playing.

thanks in advance for the responses..
I would suggest option 3:
Amazon Amazon

Especially since you're planning to get a phone mount. (I like the 997 mount from proclipusa.)
Old 06-04-2018, 04:00 AM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nate Tempest
I would suggest option 3: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-SoundSy...azon+soundsync

Especially since you're planning to get a phone mount. (I like the 997 mount from proclipusa.)
that looks good I'm putting something similar in my 65 mustang running directly off a small marine amp but unless I'm mistaken these isn't an AUX input into the PCM. without that I can't connect the device you suggested.
maybe I'm wrong though
Old 06-04-2018, 04:59 AM
Nate Tempest
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 82 Posts

that looks good I'm putting something similar in my 65 mustang running directly off a small marine amp but unless I'm mistaken these isn't an AUX input into the PCM. without that I can't connect the device you suggested.
maybe I'm wrong though
Ahh right, the aux input came with the iPod option. It will be in the center console if you have it. It can also be added, but it appears the PCM 2.1 version doesn't come with a USB cable, so even with it that Anker might not work well, unless you use an adapter to power it from the iPod port. https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/OEMKIT.html
Old 06-04-2018, 10:01 AM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,539 Likes on 963 Posts

I had a MObridge system in my 997.1 TT. It worked quite well for bluetooth music streaming and hands free calling. It had an aux input. It did not have Sirius XM.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:04 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,881 Likes on 1,532 Posts

1.Denison ...
2. Full pcm replacement ... CarPlay make things much easier.
3. Tranzit blue:
My experience:

1. Dension: I had the Dension ([sic] Denison) system in my 2008 Cayman S... Not really a huge fan of the system. Expensive, clunky, so-so sound quality, poor phone performance. I know some like this system but for me I would be a definite no.

2. Sony: I did a full PCM replacement with a Carplay compatible Sony AX100 in my 996 Turbo. Functionally, way ahead of the stock PCM in the 9x7.1 generation cars. Great phone integration, very intuitive interface, I like the Sony as it has a physical volume button which you can adjust without looking at a touchscreen or for some tiny buttons. Sony isn't wireless Carplay so you have to 'plug in' when you get in the car if you want full carplay capability, but the bluetooth music and phone functionality works just fine with the phone in your pocket as well. Alpine has a wireless Carplay system but it is twice the price and has some other disadvantages (see volume **** comment).

Downsides to full PCM are integration complexity with the existing Porsche amp/speaker systems (my car is pre-MOST so considerably easier) and some of the intentional Apple limitations of Carplay (like not displaying Waze on the in-dash screen), and of course more "modifications from stock" which some purists aren't a fan of.

3. Tranzit: Honestly, if I had another 9x7.1 generation car and wanted some simple bluetooth phone and streaming music integration, this is absolutely how I would go... Inexpensive, easy to install, cosmetically unintrusive. Perhaps some small quality limitations with the FM antenna line signal injection, but all of the solutions have weaknesses. Where have you read they have fallen out of favor? Almost every review I've seen from Porsche owners has been pretty positive.
Old 06-04-2018, 05:25 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I did a full replacement with the pioneer AVIC-8000NEX a couple years ago and love it. I chose it because quite a few guys had already had it at the time and there was plenty of support regarding installation/reviews. It's quite a bit more work than just installing a transit but the backup camera and other functions were worth it to me.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:08 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 399 Likes on 282 Posts

I installed the Tranzit Blu just for an Ipod to tie in via hardwire and installed a phone mount on the side of the PCM. I tucked the switch on the carpeted panel by my leg so it is very unobtrusive. I did not get the bluetooth version and did not connect my phone. As was said, easy install and the sound is fine.

At one point I was researching a full replacement and as the costs mounted I cam across posts for the Tranzit product. I was under the impression the inexpensive wired Ipod version was no longer available but I was incorrect.

Since I am mainly interested in hearing the engine (next project - better exhaust) I just wanted to get rid of the flippin' commercials.

If the bluetooth connectivity is solid, then the interface concept of the Tranzit should be fine as it is pretty good for the Ipod.

Ed
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 PM
loonwin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed the Tranzit Blu just a few weeks ago. It's working well so far.
1. It connects automatically (I have an iPhone X) almost immediately.
2. The sound quality for music is great (as good as CD quality as far as I can tell).
3. I tucked the microphone in the steering column so it's great for an invisible installation with so-so voice quality (but this was an intentional sacrifice since I rarely take calls while driving). I wouldn't take a conference call using it, but it's good enough to convey a few quick sentences.
4. The one downside is that I've lost signal for a few local FM stations, but I don't care because I don't listen to radio anyway.
Old 06-04-2018, 08:55 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Denison 500sbt works good 90% if the time. Streams sat radio and music off my phone. All works through stock pcm, shows titles etc. Retains center control screen as well, which was a huge plus.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:07 AM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

My reason for saying tranzit units have fallen out of favor is that I came across several more recent comments from people who previously had tranzit and are now investigating full pcm replacements. complaints about clunky interface (the on/off button I think) and sound quality.

Those are different from what I’ve seen in the past and seem to be more people just wanting more than the device provides.

becoming more popular and similar price to tranzit is new Denison knock-off that appears to have all the same functions at a fraction of the price. Emulates the CD player. So I’m looking into that as a possible option since similar price to tranzit. Previously old under LAPower Bluetooth now being rebranded to Mr12volt.

Last edited by ThomasShawn; 06-05-2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: update
Old 06-05-2018, 12:56 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bskyoon
I did a full replacement with the pioneer AVIC-8000NEX a couple years ago and love it. I chose it because quite a few guys had already had it at the time and there was plenty of support regarding installation/reviews. It's quite a bit more work than just installing a transit but the backup camera and other functions were worth it to me.
Did you have BOSE ? If so, did you replace the amp? Amp and speakers?? If you had BOSE and did not replace the amp how did you deal with the loss of function in the fade? Honestly once I set the fade in my vehicle I almost never change it ever again so I can't imagine it's a big issue. but it is something to consider since it is one of the things that you lose
Old 06-05-2018, 03:09 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

I do have the bose system still and did not have to replace the amp or subs. There is a MOST-HUR adapter and fiber optic cable for the bose system that allows you to use the stock wiring. It basically makes the entire process plug and play. As far as I know the fade and other functions remain the same. That was a big part of the sell for me, I'm not interested in changing the stock systems to that extent. The down side is it was around $600 just for the adapters.
Old 06-05-2018, 05:36 PM
ThomasShawn
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bskyoon
I do have the bose system still and did not have to replace the amp or subs. There is a MOST-HUR adapter and fiber optic cable for the bose system that allows you to use the stock wiring. It basically makes the entire process plug and play. As far as I know the fade and other functions remain the same. That was a big part of the sell for me, I'm not interested in changing the stock systems to that extent. The down side is it was around $600 just for the adapters.
the fact that you didn't realize the fader functions no longer work tells me that it's not that big of deal.
good to know,

thanks
Old 06-05-2018, 05:46 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

the fact that you didn't realize the fader functions no longer work tells me that it's not that big of deal.
good to know,

thanks
Lol. Glad to help.

Quick Reply: New to me 997.1 Turbo a few questions