Sponsored by:

Possible blown strut

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 04:13 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Possible blown strut

I was taking a mild corner today and suddenly felt a jerk, almost like the car popped out of gear. A few hundred feet down it felt like the driver's side was 'loose' or I had a flat when I turned into the kids school and there was this very strange buzzing sound but not loud, almost in the distance. Sound was gone when I restarted and the car seemed to drive normally, went home and checked tire pressures - all ok. I did a few quick L and R jerky movements to see if anything was off but nothing so far. I went around all four corners and pushed and lifted, the only difference is the driver's side front which makes a little squeaking noise. Other than that I can't tell any significant difference in range of motion, maybe my weight isn't enough to tell. I know this is really vague and it could be anything but for some reason I feel like this is a suspension issue as the initial symptoms pointed to that (at least to me). How do you test a strut to diagnose this? I'd like to rule it out before taking a trip to the shop. It was dropped on H&Rs about 1k miles and 1 year ago, car has ~20,5000 miles.

Thanks guys
Old 05-23-2018, 04:22 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'd jack it up and take each w/t off and take a look, have the bonnet up to look at the shock mounts too, if strut blown won't jack up normally. If is is the suspension this is one of the dangers of lowering springs on a 10 yo suspension. (not being a smartass)Could it have been something you hit or ran over? A bent rim will behave exactly like you described.
GL
c
Old 05-23-2018, 05:15 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by TT Surgeon
I'd jack it up and take each w/t off and take a look, have the bonnet up to look at the shock mounts too, if strut blown won't jack up normally. If is is the suspension this is one of the dangers of lowering springs on a 10 yo suspension. (not being a smartass)Could it have been something you hit or ran over? A bent rim will behave exactly like you described.
GL
c
I'll get it in the air when I get home. No worries, I was aware I'd lose a few miles on the stock struts by lowering but I was willing to suck it up for the esthetics. Definitely didn't hit anything, I had only driven a few hundred yards and was just getting out of the neighborhood when it happened.
Old 05-23-2018, 07:30 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Default I think that’s it

I didn’t quite get what you meant by jack it up normally until I tried and you are correct, I can’t get it to go like normal. It’s definitely the drivers side front. So now the question is what’s the best way to replace this, if I install bilsteins should I replace the h&r’s too? I’d hate do to it because the height was perfect and they’re basically new. The general concensus seems to be that
they’re going to sag eventually.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:50 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Best option is to get some bilstein B8s and use those springs, but they’re chronically on back order.
source a set that have been recently removed and replace the single bad unit.
c
Old 06-13-2018, 07:17 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Well the good news is they didn't find anything except very bald tires, to the wire in places. Go figure I was so focused on the suspension I didn't bother to look. The silver lining is I'm in the market for 19" wheels, so if anyone is interested for trade or sale I'd love to jump on a set of RS98's. I'll be posting in classifieds soon.
Old 06-14-2018, 09:36 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So your strut is fine?
Old 06-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
So your strut is fine?
Yes, they drove it around for a bit and couldn't find anything. Got it on a lift and took a look at the suspension, torn dust boot is the worst thing they could pinpoint. He said there were large chunks of rubber torn from the rear tires, some wire showing. My guess is what I felt that day was a piece tear off and kind of bump the car around, the noise may have been some rubber flapping around until it just sheered.
Old 06-14-2018, 11:59 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

So why did it not lift properly?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:19 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
So why did it not lift properly?
Brain fart. I hadn't lifted my car in quite a while and didn't realize I was doing everything in the wrong order. Essentially the only thing I could remember was that it wasn't this awkward the last time and I wasn't able to get the jackstands under so I just assumed the worst.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:19 PM
Bskyoon
Instructor

Also, I found a set of champions can someone please help with these specs? I just want to be sure I'm understanding offsets correctly and if these will work, any advice for spacers, etc.

Technical specifications:

Front: 9x19, ET53, approximately 19 pounds each, hub bore 71.6, bolt pattern 5x130mm.
Manufacture date: May/2008, Serial numbers 01383 & 01371.

Rear: 12x19, ET44, approximately 21 pounds each, hub bore 71.6, bolt pattern 5x130mm.
Manufacture date: May&June/2008, Serial numbers 01471 & 01343.
Old 06-16-2018, 09:29 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Those rims will fit your Turbo perfectly.

Quick Reply: Possible blown strut